Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

HOW TO: Legacy din pocket in Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2015, 06:00 PM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: Legacy din pocket in Impreza

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find a how to.

After purchasing one of the Subaru Legacy single din storage pockets from ScoobyParts and not bothering to check the packaging for instructions I made it fit.
I later spoke to ScoobyParts about my experience and they asked me if I could share how I fitted it, as it was a little different to their method.

So I thought this might be the best place to share it.

I went back and took the photos after I had already installed both a head unit and the pocket. If you need help fitting a head unit I suggest searching for a guide before asking.

Tools: Phillips screw driver, Trim removal tool or flat blunt object, Knife or Hacksaw.

Time: 15 Minutes

If you break anything then remember you only have yourself to blame as you chose to follow this guide.

Eject the cup holder and remove the first of 2 screws.

Then remove the second.

Now pull your cup holder straight out to remove it.

We then want to remove the vents and hazard light so pull on the side where you removed the cup holder and you will feel it release.

To release the other side a pro may have trim removal tools, I had a knife (Not Recommended). Work your way around prying until you hit the sweet spot and it unclips.

Leaving you with this.

Next release the wires going to the hazard switch by pushing the tab on the white connector.

Now we want to remove more trim. I started at the top left and tugged gently until it unclipped.

I then did the top right.

And finally the right, just above the heater controls. This was enough to release the whole fascia for me, if it isn't for you then tug the left above heater controls as well.

I then left the heater controls connected to the fascia and sat it over my gear **** which gave me enough room to work.

Now for the screws, 6 in total... 1

7... I mean 6

I unclipped the harness from the back of the stereo and removed it so I could fit the pocket in to the cage.

So if you try and sit the pocket underneath the stereo you will notice that A) none of the screw holes match up. and B) Each side has a plastic bit sticking out too far for the pocket to sit snug in the cage.. cut them off...

Maybe practice some safety stuff here with the correct PPE and technique. You may want to trim with a sharp knife or hacksaw.

Next I used some double sided number plate tape that I erm borrowed from work. The stuff I used is about 2mm thick and feels like foam, use something similar and place strips on the underside of your head unit.

Now you want to start to align the front of the storage pocket with the front of your stereo make sure both sides are even before laying the pocket all the way down on to the tape.

Once you have pushed the stereo and pocket together to stick you can fit back in to the dash. If the brackets will not sit back properly against the screw holes then the lip on the storage pocket may be hitting this bracket. Peel the storage pocket off the head unit and sit the pocket slightly further forward.

Last step.. Refitting everything is the opposite of removal. But watch out for this clip you will have to push up when refitting the cup holder.

Now sit back and figure put what you will store in this this magical pocket.

Last edited by LoganS; 07 October 2015 at 06:13 PM.