Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Wiper and indicator stalks

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2002, 10:35 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK this prolly sounds like a daft question but...

You know that the earlier models have the stalk for the wipers/washers etc on the left, and the lights/indicators on the right. The wrong way around for the UK market, which was corrected at some point (anyone know the exact MY it was changed?).

Was just wondering if it would be possible to swap the early model's "incorrect" Jap style stalks for the newer ones which are the right way around? OK you'd prolly get used to it but swapping in and out of several cars all the time it would be a nuisance if the Scoob were different to the rest. That's always been one feature I've hated about older Jap cars - they can convert to LHD for Europe and the US etc, but couldn't switch the stalks for the UK.

Cheers guys. BTW I don't have a Scoob yet, just doing some research beforehand so I know what the best model for me is (whether I'm better saving some more for a later model).
Old 06 June 2002, 11:00 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

I remember when i test drove my 1st scoob i kept sticking wipers on when turning corners having been used to the other way round set up on me previous pug but trust me u soon get used to it & i find it no bother wotsoever now & certainly woodn't wana even think about wasting money on swapping it, much more productive mods 2 waste money on
Si
Old 06 June 2002, 11:01 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

NB MY97 uk scoob with wipers on left flashy bits on da right
Si
Old 06 June 2002, 11:39 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Hmm cheers for that, seems like it must be MY99 onwards that had them swapped round then. Which is too new for me to afford.

You don't realise how much of a fussy git I am! Little things like that annoy the hell outta me, my dad had a company Mondeo that I used to drive sometimes which had a design fault meaning you couldn't direct air at the windscreen without the aircon coming on (and you couldn't switch it off!). After a few days I checked the wiring diagram and snipped a wire to cure it even though it wasn't mine (told my dad first of course)!

I reckon I could buy the stalks really cheap from a wrecked car or something, just depends whether they fit. Wiring isn't a problem for me. Maybe I should just buy the car first and see how I get on
Old 13 June 2002, 02:34 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

I swap in and out of trucks and cars with the stalks the wrong way round quite a bit. Generally after the first 'mistake' swapping either way you remember, if you plan a bit further ahead to indicate slightly earlier then you've time to rectify it. Having said this it is a major obstacle to my girlfriend driving my Impreza which leaves me sober alot! No harm in getting hold of some parts from a breaker and giving it a go. I'd quite like a variable speed intermittent but would imagine it's to fiddly to fit for an electrical buffoon.

Don't let it put you off buying a fantastic car, fussy or not it's a detail compared to the benefits.

[Edited by IanA - 6/13/2002 2:36:38 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 04:03 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hated it but it makes you even more lazy and you get used to it..

David
Old 15 June 2002, 11:38 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Nov 98 Model.

Flashy on Left, Wipey on right
Old 26 June 2002, 05:43 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I won't let it put me off but it's definitely something I'd at least try to sort by swapping parts with a newer model. Suppose it depends whether the steering column and surrounds have changed as well, if not it should be an easy swap. Wiring isn't a problem for me

Now... need to get a Scooby first before I even think about modifications
Old 30 June 2002, 06:11 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

OK forget about this idea, just picked up my first scoob and it's got the stalks in the right place for a UK car. Well happy