Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency - need help on insurance

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2013, 03:55 PM
mechanic.sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency - need help on insurance

Hello everybody,

Short about problem I have.

Month ago I bought Subaru Impreza, and as I was not informed about any modifications in it, I bought "normal" insurance but:
this week I was stopped by police, and police oficer "found" these modificatios under the hood:
non original intercooler
sport style air filter
some other pipes(which I really dont know waht these pipes are doing/improoving)

after that he canceled my insurance, due to that that these modifications was not mentioned in insurance policy - and my car was inpounded.

To get my car back I need new insurance where all modifications need to be mentioned.

And that is the main problem because all insurance companies I contact, say NO to me after when I say them anything about modifications, or that my car is inpounded.

Please help me if You know any insurance company who are working with modificated cars.

Thank You in advance.
Best Regards
Old 22 June 2013, 04:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My modified impreza is insured via Keith Micheals Insurance, Gary Moulson AKA Moley on here works for them.

Not sure if plod can legally deprive you of the vehicle in those circumstances......... They don't have the power to cancel an insurance policy.

Shaun
Old 22 June 2013, 04:20 PM
mechanic.sti
Scooby Regular

Thank You Midlife for some info about insurance comanies, one more to my list

So You are saying that police have no right to cancel my insurance???
Old 22 June 2013, 04:23 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so are you saying the police stopped you, checked your insurance, then cancelled it and impounded your car for having no insurance??
Old 22 June 2013, 04:40 PM
mechanic.sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
so are you saying the police stopped you, checked your insurance, then cancelled it and impounded your car for having no insurance??

No, they stopped me, check all documents everything was OK, then oficer asked me can he look under the hood?

Why not I thought(that was mine main problem) and when I opened hood he just look there and then to my insurance policy and said "mate You have a problem, cuz in Yours insurance policy You did not mention about modifications which your car have"

Then he said that he need to cancel my insurance and my car will be inpounded cuz I dont have right to drive a car with not valid insurance....

And if I wanna get my car back I need to bring to police station new insurance policy where I need to mention all modifications my car have, without that I can not take my car back...

**** stupid situation

P.S. now I check my car status in AskMID and they are writing that my car is insured ))
Old 22 June 2013, 04:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.........My insurance certificate has never mentioned any mods.

Strange, I always open the bonnet.

A hood is something little red riding wears

Shaun
Old 23 June 2013, 09:15 AM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Buy another policy take it to police statin have it stamped and then get it released, on the seizure note does it say anything about your mods in the comments line? Like has the officer wrote saying do not release unless mods are declared? If not just take out another policy take it station and they should stamp it off
Old 23 June 2013, 09:17 AM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Also you dont have to declare mods or tell insurance company that ur car in impound, just get policy without mods declared, release car, cancel policy two days later as you have 14 days cooling period, if company asks why cancelling, say sold car simples
Old 23 June 2013, 10:45 AM
mechanic.sti
Scooby Regular

veerinder9, police waiting from me a new insurance whith all mods included, bad policy again = cancel again.
my scoobie can waint only till 1st july. after - i dont wanna think about this..
Old 23 June 2013, 10:54 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Are they going to prosecute you for improper insurance too?
Old 23 June 2013, 11:01 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
Are they going to prosecute you for improper insurance too?
Technically he has no insurance, hence car being impounded.
6 points and fine
Old 23 June 2013, 11:03 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

I was thinking this sounds a possibility ...be very lucky not to be done methinks
Old 23 June 2013, 11:04 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This smells fishy,
Old 23 June 2013, 11:11 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
I was thinking this sounds a possibility ...be very lucky not to be done methinks
He was driving without valid insurance.
6 points
Old 23 June 2013, 11:22 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

The OP never mentioned getting prosecuted,maybe they have not charged him as yet.Although if he were charged he would also have to declare this to any potential insurance company,as well as the mods and circumstances.Mr on the ball copper will be checking thoroughly one would expect.Not a good position to get oneself into for a few mods.

Last edited by Busterbulldog; 23 June 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 23 June 2013, 04:21 PM
Swedge
Scooby Regular

those mods probably wouldnt have affected the premium anyway, bit silly not telling them about them even if you didnt fit them thier still on your car which you own and insure
Old 23 June 2013, 05:45 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your own fault for not knowing what you car you have and insuring it properly.
Old 23 June 2013, 08:46 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

1st mods are not listed on any certificate of insurance only the statement of fact, so if the officer checked this then maybe yes he could declare the insurance invalid. He must of been a clued up officer to notice a non-standard intercooler!

Was there insurance on the car in the first place?

2nd don't listen to anyone that tells you to get normal insurance and don't declare mods and don't tell them its in a police compound. Your be going from bad to worse! Compounds do check with the insurer first before releasing a car that the insurer is aware the car is in a police compound.
Old 23 June 2013, 09:01 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

No they don't? Had mine released and they did not phone the insurance or anything, the impound only wants to see the stamp from the police station, once they see the stamp on the seizure note they release car aslong as the fees are paid for the release amd storage. If the police stamps it then the impound dont care, talking from experience. Happend to me about a month ago
Old 23 June 2013, 09:26 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

I'd say you got lucky then, if car is in there in the first place for no insurance then its surprising that the police trust that person to inform the new insurance company that its aware its in there for no insurance. Most insurance companies are now refusing to insure cars for this reason and usually discovers at quote stage if the offender is collecting a healthy 6 points.

Last edited by simb 2; 23 June 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 25 June 2013, 06:07 PM
Gareth79
Scooby Newbie

I would check the force's procedures for seizures for no insurance, the story sounds like it wasn't followed.

If the vehicle is listed as insured on the MID then usually the officer should confirm with the company that the modifications should have been declared, and that the insurance is not valid without them. It's the insurance company's call as to whether you are covered, not the officer.

For example - ask yourself what is a modification that renders the policy invalid? Different wheels? Slightly wider tyres than specified? Replaced radio? Aluminium valve caps? I'm not 100% certain but I believe if the modifications could be covered then they can decide to let it continue for an additional premium, but if they were of a type they would refuse to cover they would void the policy (retrospectively) and that is where the problem (and points) lies.
Old 25 June 2013, 06:12 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

if you had proper insurance in the first place it wouldn't happen.

I cant believe they spotted a non standard intercooler and you didn't know it wasn't standard.

also if you have a non standard intercooler it could be the original broke and you bought a second hand replacement from ebay etc.
how many cars nowadays have non standard parts bought second hand to fix stuff.

it may be true I don't know but sounds like a crock of **** to me....

Last edited by tubbytommy; 25 June 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 25 June 2013, 07:39 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not the polices job to notify insurance of 'mods' as long as its insured that's all that matters! It's your fault though if you crash and insurers don't pay out because you have not declared mods.
Like I said earlier, something's fishy, the whole truth of the story is not told IMO.
Old 25 June 2013, 07:54 PM
Gareth79
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
It's not the polices job to notify insurance of 'mods' as long as its insured that's all that matters! It's your fault though if you crash and insurers don't pay out because you have not declared mods.
Like I said earlier, something's fishy, the whole truth of the story is not told IMO.
Well, if the insurance was obtained by deception (ie. knowingly not declaring modifications which may cause them to decline cover) then it is a police matter, and the police are entitled to check with the insurer whether they are aware of certain features which the officer feels they might not know about. If the insurer says "actually we didn't know [for example] that it has been lowered, and we wouldn't have insured it if we had" then they could seize it.

It's not just a case of "the number plate is in the system so it's fine", but they definitely shouldn't be seizing vehicles just because a certificate says "Modifications: None" and the vehicle appears to be modified.

Last edited by Gareth79; 25 June 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 25 June 2013, 08:57 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

As stated previous there is no mention of modifications on the certificate so if this is all they saw site of then they would not of seized car.

I think that the car was not insured in the first place.

They are however seizing cars with the incorrect use ie if their using car to deliver takeaways and don't have business use.

Si