Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Declaring mods not yet fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2012, 06:05 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Declaring mods not yet fitted?

I know the usual problems are mods not declared but Im interested where people stand the other way round. If I declare I have had a remap now (insurance due in 3 days) I pay nothing extra. If I declare it after the policy is taken out it goes all crazy and I have to pay fees and an additional, disproportionate premium. I have not had one done yet but am thinking about getting one done just before Christmas.

Would there be an issue with declaring it and not actually having it fitted for a while?
Old 21 November 2012, 07:40 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Sounds a good idea! Just they may ask what bhp. So will need to know approx i assume.
Phil
Old 21 November 2012, 08:13 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

So if you add the mods now they are saying it won't increase your renewal price?
Old 21 November 2012, 08:54 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

I think most mods, even performance mods these days don't load the premium much - if at all. The irritating thing is the 'admin' fee.

I see where you are coming from. If you had some components on order, or in the garage waiting for a sunny day to fit; I would declare them as it's imminent. If it's something like a remap that might require proof of power after, I would wait until it's done.

On the other hand, if you have say a Power FC under your bed with a base map yet to be fitted, I would declare it before fitting because power is the same - for now but you could give an estimate of how much power is possible combines with the existing state of the engine.

Advice - be open and honest with the broker. If you've thought it, they've probably heard it before.

J
Old 21 November 2012, 09:01 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
So if you add the mods now they are saying it won't increase your renewal price?
Yes.
Old 21 November 2012, 09:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Bargain
Old 21 November 2012, 09:10 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkmasterjay
I think most mods, even performance mods these days don't load the premium much - if at all. The irritating thing is the 'admin' fee.

I see where you are coming from. If you had some components on order, or in the garage waiting for a sunny day to fit; I would declare them as it's imminent. If it's something like a remap that might require proof of power after, I would wait until it's done.

On the other hand, if you have say a Power FC under your bed with a base map yet to be fitted, I would declare it before fitting because power is the same - for now but you could give an estimate of how much power is possible combines with the existing state of the engine.

Advice - be open and honest with the broker. If you've thought it, they've probably heard it before.

J
If there is no price differences then they obviously aren't bothered by whether it is remapped or not so it shouldn't really matter when it gets fitted but to pay them money just to write it on my policy is silly. I may as well get them to write it now and be done with it especially as I haven't been asked for a power increase quote.

Trending Topics

Old 21 November 2012, 09:12 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Bargain
I know, I have saved it double quick time. My insurance has gone down from £1200 to £507 this year due to post code change and my wife being taken off the policy.
Old 21 November 2012, 09:20 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

One thing I always do is get as many mods together as I can either when buying a new car, when modding or just before insurance renewal. If there is one thing I hate, it's paying admin fees. Can you believe Adrian Flux wanted to charge me for a private number plate? It took all of 5 minutes on the phone and no charge with Green Light!
Old 21 November 2012, 09:28 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I had to pay £25 when I transferred mine over. As for changing a car...
Every time no matter what it is Ive been asked for more.