Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOT on laid up car

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2012, 12:11 PM
Bryony84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT on laid up car

Slightly long story but my Subaru was up for sale just after Christmas, got scratched by a falling tile in the high winds last month, this was fixed by a mobile repair company then a part ex was agreed on it against an Evo 8 my boyfriend was buying. Unfortunately the sale on the Evo fell through as after investigation my boyfriend wasn't happy with the car.

Now I'm back to stage 1 with the car in the garage, not taxed or insured and the MOT due at the end of Feb.

I stand a far better chance of getting the car sold with a valid MOT and noticed the local MOT doing an offer on the cost of the MOT as well as free collection and delivery from/to home address. So my question is this: If the MOT garage are collecting and delivering the car, do I need to insure it for the day so that they can do this or is the car insured under their garage/trader policy? Day insurance is coming in at around £38 which seems pretty steep!
Old 07 February 2012, 03:11 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bryony84,

If the garage collect and deliver the vehicle, they will be responsible for the vehicle whilst it is in their possession.

They should have motor trade Insurance cover in force, which can cover them for road risks cover and vehicles in trust (ie. entrusted to them by customers).

From the moment they collect the vehicle, the vehicle would be covered under their policy.

To be safe, it would be worth asking the garage to confirm that they have motor trade cover in force that covers your vehicle whilst in their custody.

With this being an MOT, rather than other extensive work, it's likely that the vehicle can be collected and returned the same day. Which clearly minimises the time your vehicle spends at the garage and in turn the chance of potential damage.

Should anything happen to your vehicle whilst it is in their possession (assuming you did not have your own cover in force) you would have to mount a legal challenge against the garage for damage caused (or theft) whilst in their possession. Whereas, with your own cover in force your own Insurer would indemnify you and handle this with the garage.

Kind regards

Tony