Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance/upgraded brake pads - do you have to declare - what increase in premium

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2011, 09:02 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance/upgraded brake pads - do you have to declare - what increase in premium

Hi
I've done a search on this but couldnt find any results. I'm with a high street insurance co, Admiral. Today I got fitted some EBC yellowstuff brake pads. It dawned on me this evening that I must declare this to my insurance company. I like to be safe than sorry! But is this the case? Has anyone else declared them and if yes what increase in premium, if any, did they charge you, or did they turn round and say " we can no longer insure your car" (which is what I would be afraid of with a high street ins. co)? Anyone else speak of experience of Admiral and brake pads?

Thanks for any help and info on this.
Cheers
Old 18 June 2011, 09:09 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i told aviva when i fitted 4pots , their technical advisor said , i quote , are the parts made by subaru , i replied yes it would be like fitting ford st220 brakes to a 1.8lx the calipers are made by subaru but the discs and pads are copies , his reply , no problem this is a safety feature as is winter tyres their is nothing extra to pay sir
Old 18 June 2011, 09:37 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
i told aviva when i fitted 4pots , their technical advisor said , i quote , are the parts made by subaru , i replied yes it would be like fitting ford st220 brakes to a 1.8lx the calipers are made by subaru but the discs and pads are copies , his reply , no problem this is a safety feature as is winter tyres their is nothing extra to pay sir
Ok thanks. So on your insurance docs you don't have performance brake pads listed under declared mods? In otherwords you don't have to declare them, because they are an upgraded safey feature? Thanks again.

Last edited by matth76; 18 June 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 09:50 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
Ok thanks. So on your insurance docs you don't have performance brake pads listed under declared mods? In otherwords you don't have to declare them, because they are an upgraded safey feature? Thanks again.
he told me mods they have listed as extra chargable are
bigger turbo
front mount
brake calipers from a aftermarket supplier
2.5 conversion
most engine mods you can think of
different wheels ie not made by subaru
brake discs and pads are reguarded as consumables as are oil filter air filter (not induction kit)
Old 18 June 2011, 10:32 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Had me worried I've have to declare my pads. So performance after market pads are just consumables. I assume as long as they conform and have been tested to meet the "UK government road safety guidelines" (or similar - not sure what it would be called) which I think all aftermarket pads have to in order to be used on the public road then should be fine. That's what I thought but these insurance companies try to wriggle out of everything.
Old 18 June 2011, 11:21 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
Thanks. Had me worried I've have to declare my pads. So performance after market pads are just consumables. I assume as long as they conform and have been tested to meet the "UK government road safety guidelines" (or similar - not sure what it would be called) which I think all aftermarket pads have to in order to be used on the public road then should be fine. That's what I thought but these insurance companies try to wriggle out of everything.
something to do with friction rating , i expect ian godney or another brakes expert could explain the legal side of it