Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the insurers about insurance for my 17 yr old

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2011, 11:12 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for the insurers about insurance for my 17 yr old

Need to pick your brains please - my 17 yr old daughter will be doing her driving test in July and hopes to get a car a bit before that - she's been looking at quotes online and it seems universal that the price would jump up as soon as she passes? Would companies give her a quote for provisional and full driving license at the same time?

Also I'm a bit confused about this named driver thing - what's legal and what's not - eg, would it be cheaper (or legal) to insure the car in my name and have her as a named driver? Or have me as a named driver on her policy?

And finally, anyone got any experience of the i-kube company i've seen advertised on here, ie, how much cheaper is it?!

Any advice on the above or recommendations as to reasonably priced insurance companies for teenage drivers greatly appreciated
Old 08 April 2011, 02:29 PM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lorrainecallison
Need to pick your brains please - my 17 yr old daughter will be doing her driving test in July and hopes to get a car a bit before that - she's been looking at quotes online and it seems universal that the price would jump up as soon as she passes? Would companies give her a quote for provisional and full driving license at the same time?

Also I'm a bit confused about this named driver thing - what's legal and what's not - eg, would it be cheaper (or legal) to insure the car in my name and have her as a named driver? Or have me as a named driver on her policy?

And finally, anyone got any experience of the i-kube company i've seen advertised on here, ie, how much cheaper is it?!

Any advice on the above or recommendations as to reasonably priced insurance companies for teenage drivers greatly appreciated
Hi,

From our point of view, insurers will always up their rate when youngsters pass. We can give you a good idea of what the annual rate will be once she passes, and it will be pro rata'd in to the final figure.

With regards to named driver, yes, you can do it, but, you have to make sure that you are clear on your intentions. Ie; if this is going to be your daughters main car, she has to be declared as the main user.

I-kube have not been around that long and their prices do look competitive, but from what I understand it does restrict the policy quite a bit.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 08 April 2011, 02:45 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

My other half is learning and i looked at getting are corsa insured by me with her as a named driver, would be restarting from 0yr no claims and the quote was £850.

Done it the other way round, insured under her name and me as a main driver and the qoute was £450.

I've been driving 9yrs, without any claims in the last 6yrs and she's on a provisional.

Try and work out those quotes, had me a bit stumped as to why half the price.
Old 08 April 2011, 03:40 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon
My other half is learning and i looked at getting are corsa insured by me with her as a named driver, would be restarting from 0yr no claims and the quote was £850.

Done it the other way round, insured under her name and me as a main driver and the qoute was £450.

I've been driving 9yrs, without any claims in the last 6yrs and she's on a provisional.

Try and work out those quotes, had me a bit stumped as to why half the price.

Its half the price cos your saying shell hardly be driving as your the main driver. Me and my other half have this problem.
I've earned 2 years no claims as a named driver but can only use these with admiral, so think it's better just to pay the price and earn my own no claims or I'll never get cheap insurance alone.
Old 08 April 2011, 10:26 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies, guess we'll just have to get an idea of what car she's getting first, then get some quotes and go from there

I-kube sounds worth an enquiry, but as you say Chris, pretty restrictive - it'd only take a few unscheduled drives after 11pm at £100 a shot to end up costing far more than a standard policy