Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it with Direct Line?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2002, 04:17 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just got the renewal from Direct Line for my MY01. When I started the policy with them last year I gave them the details of all the extras over the phone (PPP, 18" alloys, Morettes being the main ones) and also posted them a copy of the dealer's invoice showing everything itemised with its value. The only thing I didn't do was follow up my letter with a call to check they had received it.

I noticed that no mods were mentioned on the renewal so queried this today. Basically they denied knowledge of all extras bar the PPP (what they call an "exhaust modification"), slapped another £200 on the premium and told me I'd not been fully covered for the last four months. They reckon my letter with the copy invoice must have got lost in the post...

I remember that when I first got the car the woman I spoke to wasn't really interested in the individual mods unless they took the total value over £30K - which they don't - or increased the performance. Hence only mention of the PPP in their records.

Just wondered if there is a difference between an "option" and a "modification", i.e. treated differently if shown to be fitted by the dealer, from new, from the manufacturer's accessory list? I reckon this is how I described it all last year and is perhaps the reason for the difference in treatment.

Either way, it stinks. £900 just to insure the poxy thing (I know it's all relative but I'm an old git) and that's after blowing the best part of £1000 on Trackstar just so I could get it covered in the first place...
Old 18 March 2002, 06:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats cheap, ive a MY00 with PPP, uprated brakes, PD7 alloys and a downpipe (all noted on direct lines policy) and thats 1189FC prot thats quite expensive IMHO but they were the cheapest

Tony
Old 19 March 2002, 12:45 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Gareth

try Bell Direct or Chris Knott. Neither require a tracker, the excess is lower and the premium is much cheaper. If CK can't match the lowest premium, ask them to speak with the u\writer, mine was bettered after querying.
Old 19 March 2002, 01:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt, i believe chris knott doesnt do modified cars and a PPP is modified, you could try Schofields thou?

Tony
Old 19 March 2002, 07:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Just to slightly change the subject......i'm with direct line(non-scoob)and have had 2 accidents in the last 2 years.Both times Direct line were brilliant.Ist one let me choose who fixed it,2nd time gave me a choice of money or repair,chose money and from inspection by their engineer to check in bank.......3 days.

Just my experience.
Old 19 March 2002, 10:53 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Fair point - on my previous experience with a claim elsewhere I'd happily pay a bit more to guarantee a hassle-free service. However, the inconsistency over guessing the premiums still gets me down...
Old 20 March 2002, 07:14 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It's amazing how often things go 'missing in the post' to Direct Line [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I can only guess their postie is blind and delivers things sent to them to other addresses. My car was not covered against theft for over 6 months (I stay in Glasgow, so that is a pretty important part of the cover) as both my alarm installation and tracker paperwork 'were not received'. I guesss I really should have phoned up to check they had been received, rather than assume they had.
Old 20 March 2002, 08:57 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Yeah - there's plenty of other "Direct Lines" on Quay Street so it could easily go to the wrong place...

I'm still wondering if the difference between "optional accessories" and "modifications" is relevant to the premium? I basically ordered a fully-loaded car and seem to be paying as if all the extras are after-market add-ons....

G