Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a Car-Insurance!

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2009, 12:55 PM
rod001
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a Car-Insurance!

Hey there,
I need a Car-Insurance!
The problem is, its a JDM and I already talked to some InsuranceCompanys but they told me it would be something around 3-4K p.a. - Jesus. I've known it will be a bit expensive, but not like this!!
So if you have any idea where to get a nice and cheap Insurance for Imports please let me know!!!
Thanks a lot,
Rod.

P.S. it is a Subaru Impreza 96 WRX JDM.

Last edited by rod001; 10 September 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10 September 2009, 01:07 PM
JonnyA
Scooby Regular

Try 'Yes!'. I have an '99 STi and it costs me less than £500 per year. Mostly it will depend on your age, I'm afraid. I'm 38. Also try Keith Michaels.
Old 10 September 2009, 01:30 PM
rod001
Scooby Newbie

thanks mate
jap, I think so too, the age will be a big problem - I'm 22 and just come over to UK and even got just an EU-Licence!!
But 3-4K it's just ripping off somebody!! I would pay a bit more for sure, but dear Lord - not 3-4k? the car its just 3K worth
Old 10 September 2009, 01:44 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rod001
thanks mate
jap, I think so too, the age will be a big problem - I'm 22 and just come over to UK and even got just an EU-Licence!!
But 3-4K it's just ripping off somebody!! I would pay a bit more for sure, but dear Lord - not 3-4k? the car its just 3K worth
Not sure how much effect the EU license will have on insurance but being 22 will not make it cheap! Good luck tho.
Old 15 September 2009, 09:55 AM
rod001
Scooby Newbie

So I rang up a couple of Insurance on the Internet and even there, there is actuelly no one who like to cover me
They say I'm to young (under 25) or the problem is the Car is an Import or I just moved to IOM - so don't have a UK-driver-licence or no claims or I pay 3K per year and they don't care!!! So actuelly there isn't any real offer for me?!
But what shall I do? I mean, I already bought the car - I don't get any Insurance, so I can' register the car to my name - and even if I would sell the car - I can't because I can not drive with the car or anyone else, because the car is not register - it does got a register number but there is no insurance on the car!
I'm so desperate don't know what I can do else!!!
Old 15 September 2009, 10:37 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

One way round it:

Buy a cheap cheap car and insure it fully comp.

This will allow you to drive any other vehicle 'not' belonging to you.

Then register the Scoob in some one elses name, a close friend or family member.

But be aware you will only be covered 3rd party, so if you stack the Scoob you will either loose it or pay to have it repaired yourself.

This will also build up your NCB and should cost less than 3-4k.

Old 15 September 2009, 11:40 AM
rod001
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by b13bat
Then register the Scoob in some one elses name, a close friend or family member.
But be aware you will only be covered 3rd party, so if you stack the Scoob you will either loose it or pay to have it repaired yourself.
Sounds too easy for me
So it means, buy a 2nd car, get fully comp. just on it. find someone who will register my import on his name and I can drive with the import and get cover on it even if I drive the import every day?! is that what you saying?!
What does the other person need to do, just register the Import? Does he need to cover the Scooby on his name? So if not, than it says no one got any Insurance on the Scooby but I can drive with it all day long?!

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2009, 12:57 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rod001
Sounds too easy for me
So it means, buy a 2nd car, get fully comp. just on it. find someone who will register my import on his name and I can drive with the import and get cover on it even if I drive the import every day?! is that what you saying?!
What does the other person need to do, just register the Import? Does he need to cover the Scooby on his name? So if not, than it says no one got any Insurance on the Scooby but I can drive with it all day long?!
Yes i believe so.

My insurance docs state that, i may drive any vehicle not belonging to me as long as i have the correct licence and no other insurace is afforded to me, ie it does not cover hire cars ect.

Thats how i understand it, but i do stand to be corrected of course as i am no expert.
Old 15 September 2009, 02:38 PM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by b13bat
One way round it:

This will also build up your NCB and should cost less than 3-4k.
Awful, awful advice there. Yes, maybe on paper it looks like the car is insured but the police and insurers are wise to this sort of thing, God help you if you have to make a claim.

Again, awful advice to give out on a public forum.
Old 15 September 2009, 09:15 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skyinsurance
Awful, awful advice there. Yes, maybe on paper it looks like the car is insured but the police and insurers are wise to this sort of thing, God help you if you have to make a claim.

So are you saying that i am 'not' insured to 'drive any vehicle not belonging to me' on my fully comp policy??

Please clarify!

As i said, i'm no expert but thats how it seems/reads to menow
Old 15 September 2009, 09:53 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skyinsurance

Agree 100%
Old 15 September 2009, 09:57 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

You boys are the experts here, so once again, please clarify/explain the terms.
Old 15 September 2009, 10:16 PM
Moley
Sponsor

The 3rd party extension is there to be used in an emergency.

Unfortunately too many people do as you've advised and abuse this, meaning most insurers are now looking at removing this from all policies (not sure when this will happen, but current talk is Feb 2010)

Added to this the fact that if you parked up the car and it is stolen, the insurers could refuse to pay out, as you were last in charge of the car, and you were only covered 3rd party.

FWIW good luck finding an insurance company who'll give a 22 year old with an EU licence the 3rd party extension
Old 15 September 2009, 10:32 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
The 3rd party extension is there to be used in an emergency.

Unfortunately too many people do as you've advised and abuse this, meaning most insurers are now looking at removing this from all policies (not sure when this will happen, but current talk is Feb 2010)

Added to this the fact that if you parked up the car and it is stolen, the insurers could refuse to pay out, as you were last in charge of the car, and you were only covered 3rd party.

FWIW good luck finding an insurance company who'll give a 22 year old with an EU licence the 3rd party extension
Thanx for that Moley. I totally understand where you are coming from.
Prob not my best post
Old 16 September 2009, 09:23 AM
rod001
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I don't need good luck, I need help, but thanks anyway!
Do you guys know anyone who is under 25 and got a scooby who has registred the scooby on his name and got a 3rd party?! I need the name of the insurance-company!
thanks!
Old 16 September 2009, 09:59 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

putting it in someone elses name and driving under another insurance will cover you all the time you are in the vehicle but as soon as you step out of the vehicle on a public highway then technically who ever you register the vehicle to is liable for leaving a vehicle on a public highway unisured,
Old 16 September 2009, 02:05 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by cookie sti
putting it in someone elses name and driving under another insurance will cover you all the time you are in the vehicle but as soon as you step out of the vehicle on a public highway then technically who ever you register the vehicle to is liable for leaving a vehicle on a public highway unisured,
Correct, hence the vehicle would need to be insured by the registered keeper