Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uninsured Driver Accident !!

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2009, 09:20 AM
deep_st24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uninsured Driver Accident !!

This is a bit tricky.

My car was parked in the street and got hit quite hard by a black car, which then proceeded to drive off, a neighbour tells me so I go out and manage to find the car, with 4 young girls inside of it parked nearby with the bonnet up.

The girls deny they had anything to do with the accident, but it was quite obvious as the damage matched up and the bare metal was obviously fresh not months old like they claimed.

The Police are called and eventually agreed to come out. The go round to the car owners house and surprise surprise the girl admits to the accident.

1. The car wasn’t hers, was a friends mums who was insured.
2. The driver had no insurance and no license.
3. The owner knowingly lent the car to the driver although the driver claimed she was insured to the owner.
4. She is being charged with no license, no insurance and leaving the scene of an accident.
5. Apparently I will be getting a compensation Order for the value of the damage, approx 2000.

Now my problem is that even if I get a compensation order no doubt I will probably get paid about 5 a month.

My neighbours car was also hit, his insurance company are claiming off of the owners insurance, he already has a temporary car and his car is being repaired, and his damage was a lot less than mine.

My insurance Company seem reluctant to do this.

Just wondered if anyone had any input on whether this is the done thing or not??

Cheers
Old 23 August 2009, 02:03 PM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

I am surprised someone has mentioned a compensation order. As far as i am aware such orders are not made for road traffic collisions.

The Motor Insurers Bureau only deals with injury collisions.

If your fully Comp insurance just leave it with them to sort as thats what the premium is paid for.

I do have a notion though that the owners insurance is responsible irrespective of who was driving.

As in the case of where a vehicle is stolen i understand the innocent bowners insurance is responsible for any third party claims even though the thief was driving!!!!!!
Old 23 August 2009, 03:54 PM
deep_st24
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply.

It was the police that attended who mentioned the compensation order, the case hasn’t actually been to court yet.

The problem is (luckily) it wasn’t my Subaru but my second car, so wasn’t insured fully comm, just TPFT.

I’m glad your notion is the same as my neighbours, I will get onto my insurance company tomorrow and cross my fingers!!

Cheers again
Old 23 August 2009, 06:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MiB delt with my accident back in 97 when I was hit by an uninsured and disqualified driver, be prepared for a loooooooooooong wait it took 3 years for them to pay out for both injuries and damage recovery.

In the mean time if I were you, i would go and get some quotes for the repairs, as your only tpft they wont carry out any work (unlike if you were fully comp) until the other party's insurance claims responsibility (not likely either as uninsured )

Been there, not nice

Tony
Old 26 August 2009, 01:28 PM
deep_st24
Scooby Regular

Well I spoke to my insurance company who put me in contact with the owners insurance company.

They agreed that the owner is responsible as she let someone uninsured use her car.

Apparently they have to get the owner to admit that she lent the car to an uninsured driver and that the accident took place, but luckily I have a police report which sets things out clearly.

So fingers crossed!