Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20 year old in a 2005 JDM STI

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2009, 12:35 AM
exceed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 year old in a 2005 JDM STI

Okay I think I've been through absolutely every single insurance company that I can think of but am unable to find a realistic quote (bare with me ). Is there anyone that could recommend me an insurance company that would insure me for about £2500 on this car? So far the best I've found was £3600 .
At the moment I drive a quite heavily modified astra diesel 16v 2007 with 250bhp/400ftlb (even got polycarbonate windows ) so my experience with fast cars is better than most but obviously I'm still quite a big risk (even though I have a clean crash record ).
Thanks for looking

PS Forgot to mention I've tried A-plan and keith michaels and A-Plan gave me the quote of £3600 and KM were unable to quote me because of my age .

Last edited by exceed; 15 May 2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:42 AM
14N-FR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exceed
Okay I think I've been through absolutely every single insurance company that I can think of but am unable to find a realistic quote (bare with me ). Is there anyone that could recommend me an insurance company that would insure me for about £2500 on this car? So far the best I've found was £3600 .
At the moment I drive a quite heavily modified astra diesel 16v 2007 with 250bhp/400ftlb (even got polycarbonate windows ) so my experience with fast cars is better than most but obviously I'm still quite a big risk (even though I have a clean crash record ).
Thanks for looking

PS Forgot to mention I've tried A-plan and keith michaels and A-Plan gave me the quote of £3600 and KM were unable to quote me because of my age .
Is the Astra not fast enough now?
Old 15 May 2009, 01:49 AM
exceed
Scooby Regular

Ooh hello stranger , of course its fast enough but I'm fed up of diesels narrow power band and fuel economy isn't worth it. And the chassis on the astra is absolute pants (even with my handling upgrades - although have made it significantly better!).
And finally I'd like a change . I saw your STI over on AON, how long until you pick it up?
Old 15 May 2009, 02:02 AM
14N-FR
Scooby Regular

Finally, another person that has seen the light! The Astra diesel is a good car, but it does get frustrating after a while.

Pick my STi up in a couple of weeks. Just waiting for my V5 to come back from the DVLA and I can then get my car sold.

With regards to insurance you will struggle at 20 with an import. I am with Bell just now, but when I tried some other companies there explanations for high premiums was because I was under 25.

I am paying £950 and thats me with 6 points. I was lucky to get a quote of under £1000.
Old 15 May 2009, 06:21 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High risk car and high risk driver tbh, plus you may think that your a good driver with lots of high performance experience, but as drivers go, your inexperienced with only 3 years max driving
Most companies wont touch you with a scoob, 25+ on a JDM STI, though I would be interested in what you did to your 1.9 CDTI (i take it?) Astra to get 250bhp (tempted to chip my 1.9 CDTI up a little but she is still warrantied....)

Tony
Old 15 May 2009, 11:25 AM
exceed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 14N-FR
Finally, another person that has seen the light! The Astra diesel is a good car, but it does get frustrating after a while.

Pick my STi up in a couple of weeks. Just waiting for my V5 to come back from the DVLA and I can then get my car sold.

With regards to insurance you will struggle at 20 with an import. I am with Bell just now, but when I tried some other companies there explanations for high premiums was because I was under 25.

I am paying £950 and thats me with 6 points. I was lucky to get a quote of under £1000.
Yeah tell me about it, fed up of EGR problems and other trivial little problems! Bet you can't wait ! I know I can't, the garage is really doing their best to try and get me insurance. They've been great! I think in the end my parents will pay for the insurance and then I'll pay them back after Summer after I've worked . That's not too bad on your insurance! Especially with 6 points!! i saw you're already looking at coilovers and the like as well , looking around to see what mods i can do for my model. Should be interesting .

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
High risk car and high risk driver tbh, plus you may think that your a good driver with lots of high performance experience, but as drivers go, your inexperienced with only 3 years max driving
Most companies wont touch you with a scoob, 25+ on a JDM STI, though I would be interested in what you did to your 1.9 CDTI (i take it?) Astra to get 250bhp (tempted to chip my 1.9 CDTI up a little but she is still warrantied....)

Tony
I completely understand mate, I think what I might have to do is have the car for a year (and drive it - insured! ) and then when I'm 21 my premiums will go down as I would have had the car for a year and I can talk to companies like Adrian Flux and maybe A-plan/KM .
Yeah its the 1.9 CDTI (150 16V) with the following mods (to be honest I think its more 230bhp/400ftlb - but the torque is absolutely immense, literally hung on to the back of Porsches and the likes!):
- Hybrid turbo
- Remap
- Uprated intake system with dual intake (fog light intake duct and grille intake pipe)
- FMIC
- Uprated suspension (dampers and springs - no coilovers)
- Straight through (decated) exhaust
- Polycarbonate windows (sides and rear - not front!)
- 4 pot 324mm brakes with track pads on the front (standards on the back)
- Lightweight battery ()
- Removed all non-essential parts from the car to reduce weight .

To be honest mate I think if you want to get anything for the diesel you should be looking at a tuning box and perhaps uprated suspension, it absolutely transforms the cars performance! Should set you back about £600 altogether and you can take the box off whenever you want warranty work done and suspension will be warrantied by the tuner (I recommend DAP - Home).
Send us a PM if you need any info/help .