Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance people! I need help again please!

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 01:11 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Insurance people! I need help again please!

Ok guys. I have a crap situation and I'd like some advice.
Saturday night I parked my car round my friends flat. Now I didnt park it in a marked space but it was not blocking anyone in or the exit or anything. There was enough space to fit a large coach into the car park. Anyway, a guy in a white van reversed into my car, and then turned round quick and was going to drive away. However, at the same time, 4 of my friends arrived and saw him do it. They blocked his exit and told him to exchange details. So out I went and turns out my friend in the flat i was at knew him. So I got his mobile no and reg plate. Anyway, he called me after and said he wanted to pay cash as it was only minor.
So I went and got a quote. £320. And then I got another quote and they said £320 was good. However, the guy who hit me reckons he knows a bodyshop that will do it for cheaper and wants me to go there for a quote. Now obviously I'd be running the risk of a cheap rushed repair so I don't like that idea. Also, I can't get a courtesy car through them like I can with my £320 quote.
So last night I say £320 or insurance, and he's turned into a right ****. Blaming me for where I parked etc. He admitted he was going to drive away. He doesn't want to pay £320 as he doesnt think its worth that much. So i said I'll go through the insurance but he has hinted that he will deny it ever happened.........
My question is......will he get away with it???
I didnt take a photo of his van. I have 4 friends who saw it happen along with 3 others in the flat who came out to witness him admit it and give me his details.
If I go through the insurance and he plays awkward....what are my chances of winning the case??

Here is the damage for reference. The splash guard under the arch has snapped and was rubbing on the wheel with 2 people in the back.

Thank you for any advice
Steve
Old 05 March 2009, 01:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

You are doing him a favour by letting him pay cash, so he should be greatful.

Can't your mate have a word if he knows him and tell him to stop being a p***k

Speak to your insurers and explain what has happened, and they'll advise exactly what to do. If you have witnesses i can't see he has a leg to stand on
Old 05 March 2009, 01:46 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Yeah my mates is gonna phone him today.
I did talk to my insurers (Direct Line) but they couldn't really give me and idea of whether he could get away with it. I don't see how he can but you never know
Old 05 March 2009, 05:31 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Anyone else had experience with this sort of thing?
Old 05 March 2009, 05:37 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Forget the insurance. Tell him the next one will be the cops... see what he has to say there. You can always play dumb then, say he gave you details at the time but aren't sure if they are correct... they'll follow it up for you then.

5t.