Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying back your car

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2009, 12:29 PM
stu_555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying back your car

righ as some of you may know my car was set on fire a few weeks back. im having a battle with the insurance with my settlement they are taking ages to give me a figure and i have been told that i am not able to buy my car back because of the damage caused. i know that the front end ie wings bumper bonnet where not damaged and i could sell these to make my self some extra cash and the engine and gear box will be ok as the fire was it the back of the car. so my question is can the insurance realy stop my from having my car back as ive not signed the v5 but the insurance have it as they asked for the original and not a photo copy.
Old 20 February 2009, 12:45 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If they class it as a Cat C or D you should be able to buy it back, but sounds like it'll be a Cat A or B, which has to be destroyed.
Old 20 February 2009, 02:00 PM
stu_555
Scooby Regular

yeah it pretty bad like i reckon it was prob a cat B so if its an A or B theres no chance of me getting it back?
Old 20 February 2009, 10:03 PM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

This is the situation with right offs

Cat D = Minimal damage not structual, usually when a person decides that they would rather be paid out on their car than have it reapaired or if it's stolen recoverd etc. Not a lot of people know this but if someone drove into your car for instance and scraped the side and the insurance said they could repair it, you could turn round and say no thanks buy my car i don't want one that has been repaired.

Cat C = Major damage that would cost the insurance company too much most of this expense is actually the extortinate prices that major body shops charge for repair ie £55-65 per hour labour that bumps the repair costs up too much, so generally buying a cat c car and having it repaired as long as it is with someone you trust to do a good job is sometimes very worthwile

Cat B = Extensive Damage that could result in someone using the id and ringing the car for example my bro had an evo 6 which the insurance decided would be better reshelling, as they could not ge a shell in the uk they put it on a cat b so that noone would buy it and use a second hand shell to repair
These are Spares only salvage that cannot be put back on the road

Cat A= Fire Damage, no salvagable spares usually crushed afterwards as this is all it is good for.

Cat A and B can only be sold to registered salvage dealers cat D and C can be brought by anyone

Yours would likely be a cat B

Hope this helps!
Old 21 February 2009, 12:38 AM
stu_555
Scooby Regular

okay and thanks