Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do they inspect crashed cars?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2002, 04:17 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was wondering...

3 years ago my wife crashed my 200sx (i'll not say what happened cause if the police say they are not charging her then who am i to disagree )

anyway, my 4month old nissan and the 7month old land crusier she destroyed went of to the car yard.

when i contacted the car yard about getting my CDs out of the boot changer (boot was only part not squashed!) they said i could come and have a look over it to get bits out.

so i tool out the cd's (although the changer wouldnt open so i had to take the whole thing ) and the bloke there said i'd spent twice as long as the bloke from the ins. co.?

so how would he have none if i had uprated springs? new down pipe? BOV? etc? i didnt (car was std) but was wondering how well they check? this was 60K claim in the end so the motivation was there surley?

Tiggs
Old 18 February 2002, 04:51 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

yeh i wrote off a pug205 and it was 'inspected' by the insurers, they failed to notice a magnex backbox and lowered suspension still got the market value back thou :P
Old 18 February 2002, 04:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

makes you wonder, do things like bump steer mods get checked for???? would they even know the difference between a scoobysport DP and an OE one?
Old 18 February 2002, 06:51 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Not sure how the crashed cars are checked, but if the insurance find the smallest mod on the car that was not listed they can (and will) use it against you and maybe void the policy. It's a risky business.

Darren
Old 18 February 2002, 06:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol- i reckon its an urban myth!

someone out there must know how this works?
Old 18 February 2002, 07:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've worked in garages for 8 years now and I've never seen a claim rejected! I've seen them not pay out for extra's, wheels and stuff but never refuse a claim altogether.

It's hard to say about the engineers, ususally the first thing they do is check the tyres!! None of the ones I've seen even wear saftey shoes never mind overalls, they just wear suits so they're not likely to roll round on the floor gettin dirty! They're all "outsiders" ie they don't work for the garage so even if they did want to, it would hard for them to get cars on a lift etc for a proper check, having said that, they're not paying out so why would they be arsed dragging a non runner accross a yard just to " kill it"!!

I'd say they're more likely to knock the garage back on labour and / or materials than refuse a claim!

Bob

PS please don't go round modding your car and not saying owt cos "Bob" says you'll get away with it!!