Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

£184 to cancel insurance?????

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2008, 05:56 PM
rikroe666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £184 to cancel insurance?????

Does this sound right?
i sold my scoob about a month ago i sent greenlight insurance a letter to confirm i had sold my car and no longer needed insurance from them.They then sent one back saying it was all canceled. A couple days later i recieved a letter from amber select which deal with all greenlights money side saying i owed them £184 this sounds way two expensive and everyone i ask say they've never had to pay a penny when canceling insurance.
Anyone know if sounds right?
Old 30 September 2008, 05:57 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

This sounds like a mistake surely?

Look at your paperwork, it should stipulate any cancelation fees.
Old 30 September 2008, 06:26 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

was you fully paid up, if not it may be thr balance to bring you up to date!?
Old 30 September 2008, 06:27 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Depends on if you are paying monthly. Maybe it's the interest that you owe them by cancellinbg early?
Old 30 September 2008, 06:45 PM
tez162003
Scooby Regular

its settling the balance on interest or something, as i wanted to do the same with mine but luckily mine worked out at £1
Old 30 September 2008, 06:56 PM
alba15031
Scooby Regular

i had to cancel mine the other week and i only got charged £30 for paper work. They must have made a mistake.
Old 30 September 2008, 07:10 PM
dannybrb5
Scooby Newbie

Sime insurers charge a cancellation fee of the rest of the policy, to discourage you leaving for another insurer. In this case seems a tad harsh. If they dont drop the fee and you want to complian speak to the FSA or financial ombudsman.

Dont ya just love insurance!

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2008, 07:33 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When paying monthly some companys get the money off a finance company. Which means you have a loan to the value of the insurance premium.
So if you cancel the premiun the finance company still want there money, but you should be able to claim the remaining full months to the renewal date back off your insurance company.
Hope this makes sense
Old 30 September 2008, 07:57 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i just cancelled my insurance with hyperformance, it was up for renewal last week, i went away on hols for a week to come back to 5 letters from them saying they are cancelling my insurance on the 25th sept unless i sent them the required documents ( updating my mileage , mods etc )
thought this would be an easy get out as i got quoted £300+ less from KM. phoned them to cancel, only to find they hadnt cancelled it and because they renewed it i will have to pay £320
i questioned it and they listed off the various charges , some were utterly stupid but i cant do anything else.
the only good thing that came about is i can pay it back in monthly instalments which , including my new monthly payment , comes to less than i would have been paying if i stayed with them
Old 30 September 2008, 08:47 PM
rikroe666
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help i will ring them in the morning see if i can get any sence out of them. Hope it is just a mistake cos i've never heard of charges this high before and i wont be using greenlight again either!!
Old 30 September 2008, 10:46 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Directline charges 1 month premium for cancellation.

Hope yours isn't £184 a month...LOL!
Old 30 September 2008, 11:23 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

I never cancel, just ask them to suspend the insurance "while I look for my next car". That way you keep your no claims bonus ticking over and they only take the money for the part of the year you actually insured for.

Some companies only let you keep your NCB for 6 months before sending you back to the beginning. The NFU lets you come back with your NCB for up to 2 years.
Old 01 October 2008, 12:22 AM
adam6900
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oli_w
i just cancelled my insurance with hyperformance, it was up for renewal last week, i went away on hols for a week to come back to 5 letters from them saying they are cancelling my insurance on the 25th sept unless i sent them the required documents ( updating my mileage , mods etc )
thought this would be an easy get out as i got quoted £300+ less from KM. phoned them to cancel, only to find they hadnt cancelled it and because they renewed it i will have to pay £320
i questioned it and they listed off the various charges , some were utterly stupid but i cant do anything else.
the only good thing that came about is i can pay it back in monthly instalments which , including my new monthly payment , comes to less than i would have been paying if i stayed with them

Hope you are going to get some ***** and tell them to **** right off! your even still within the magical 14day's
Old 01 October 2008, 01:00 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oli_w
They cant force the renewal. Id threaten them with the ombudsman and see how they see it then.
Old 01 October 2008, 08:24 AM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

thanks guys! im really not happy with it , i am waiting for the paperwork they are sending and see what it says and go from there. will let u know what they say n hopefuly i can get out of paying such a stupid amount !
Old 01 October 2008, 09:51 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Rikroe666,

Having just spoken to you this morning and discussed both your premium finance and policy cancellation with you I felt there to be some merit to pointing out that the £184 you mention was actually the refund due to you from your Insurer and not a charge to pay.

The letter that you had received from the finance company was actually confirming their receipt of the £184 you mentioned, which you have confused as their requiring £184.

Your refund had been despatched to your premium finance company who confirmed receiving the payment, which was verified by me following a call on your behalf to the finance company and advised to you this morning.

You had been a long standing customer of ours, who's business was always appreciated and had you taken 5 minutes out to check the situation with us (or digest the content of the letter from the premium finance company advising they had received a £184 credit) prior to posting we could have saved you (& Greenlight) any unnecessary anguish.

Kind regards

Tony

Originally Posted by rikroe666
Does this sound right?
i sold my scoob about a month ago i sent greenlight insurance a letter to confirm i had sold my car and no longer needed insurance from them.They then sent one back saying it was all canceled. A couple days later i recieved a letter from amber select which deal with all greenlights money side saying i owed them £184 this sounds way two expensive and everyone i ask say they've never had to pay a penny when canceling insurance.
Anyone know if sounds right?

Last edited by Tony@Greenlight; 01 October 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01 October 2008, 10:00 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Sorry, gotta laugh! OP gets refund and thinks it's the opposite

Please please post the actual wording of the letter.
Old 01 October 2008, 10:06 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

if the op could open their mouth just a little wider, they might even get the other foot in!

My God, there really is one born every single minute
Old 01 October 2008, 10:08 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Ooops. Perhaps the OP should have checked with his insurer before putting fingers to keyboard as it were.
Old 01 October 2008, 10:34 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Guys,

We understand that people get annoyed or frustrated at times, we've all been there. When at a glance or skimming through when reading a document it's easily done.

Rikroe666 is (or was) a long standing customer of ours and we wish him well, it's just a shame that he feels he wouldnt use our services that he had previously been happy with again.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 01 October 2008, 01:37 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

This has made me spit out my lunch laughing, I feel for greenlight who seem to has been just a little unfairly represented LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 01 October 2008, 04:33 PM
rikroe666
Scooby Regular

Yep massive apologie for Greenlight, completely read the letter from amber select wrong, what a c@ck i feel now. Big thanks to Tony for all the help this morning, top guy and the best insurance company i've ever ever been with.
Old 01 October 2008, 05:05 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Yep massive apologie for Greenlight, completely read the letter from amber select wrong, what a c@ck i feel now. Big thanks to Tony for all the help this morning, top guy and the best insurance company i've ever ever been with.
Kudos for apologising chap. Makes a change round here!

5t.
Old 02 October 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Ha Ha, i feel for you man, the times i have done something like this, that horrible feeling you will have had reading Tony's reply... I know it so well...

Might as well add on here that i also use Greenlight for my personal cars and have found them to be without doubt the best insurance company i have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Old 02 October 2008, 12:25 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Good on you for the apology fella !!! Wish that was a bit more common !
Old 02 October 2008, 12:50 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Think I would have dissapeared for ever

Respect for the above