Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Plan: decent insurance quote for new(ish) resident

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2008, 11:37 AM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A-Plan: decent insurance quote for new(ish) resident

Arrived in UK Feb07. Before I swapped australian license for UK, AA came through for £570 (44, clean license, 5+ NCB, 1996 WRX wagon JDM), underwritten by Norwich. I had been getting quotes over £1000. I guess they didn't really want to insure me but figured if I was stupid enough to go for a premium >25% of the car's value, they'd happily take my money.

Then I moved house, about 1.5miles up the road, told AA, they increased the premium by 45% (yes!), I told them to jam it and went looking elsewhere.

Keith Michaels came in at £659. As an experiment I asked them to input the old address. £649. So clearly risk is assessed quite differently by different brokers/insurers.

A-Plan did the job for £575. Big thanks to Simon.

One niggle though. Everyone asked for my previous best quote. I strongly advise not giving one, for obvious reasons. Also I know from 2nd hand that you can bargain with insurers and it can really pay off. I will be doing that next time.

thanks again Simon
davoid
Old 18 September 2008, 12:23 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davoid
One niggle though. Everyone asked for my previous best quote. I strongly advise not giving one, for obvious reasons. Also I know from 2nd hand that you can bargain with insurers and it can really pay off. I will be doing that next time.
Not true with all companies

At Keith Michaels we ask this question to make sure we're not wasting your and our time by running through a quote we have no chance of matching or beating. (hence why the internet quote request you got from us was declined....too cheap for us to compete against)
Old 18 September 2008, 03:47 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ah. Thanks Moley. However I had no idea it had been declined because no-one got back to me. Just an auto-generated email would do. I'd been hoping you guys could help because everyone on this site seems to like you.

all the best
davoid