Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my sti is registered as a GL

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 12:16 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my sti is registered as a GL

Was told that its not really a big problem with the police as it happens quite often with imports, but what would happen if someone was to run into me and total my car for example ?

Now my car is insured as an STI (Third party F&T) but in this instance its not my insurance that pays out, is that correct ?

Would the insurance company of the guy who totalled my car have grounds to only pay for a GL not an Sti?

Cheers
Old 21 July 2008, 01:35 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

hi mate im pretty sure that if its insured as an sti then it will pay out for an sti, like i guess its the same deal as ,say a car with an engine change? maybe give ur insurance a bell
Old 25 July 2008, 01:20 PM
Half-Dane
Scooby Newbie

Default Re: So my sti is registered as a GL

Hi
You are not clear with your thoughts, will you give more information. So I can help you out in this matter.

Insurance Company
Old 07 August 2008, 08:39 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

On the V5 document my car is shown as a subaru impreza GL but in reality its an STI.

I have insured my car on the phone and not via a website and explained the situation to them and had the car insured as an sti but only as third party and not fully comp.

My question is - if i have an accident and someone drives into me, will it affect my payout as its the other guy's insurance company that will be paying out but as its registered as a GL on V5 wont they only want to pay for a GL?
Old 29 August 2008, 10:28 PM
chrisray
Scooby Regular

hi mate, had this problem when i bought my last car (celica gt4), it was registered as a 2L non turbo. when the car was imported there was a mix up at the DVLA. all i had to do was contact them and they changed it on their system. sent me a new log book aswell. hope you get is sorted. chris
Old 30 August 2008, 09:37 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Its the same on a lot of imports - I even contacted the DVLA about it and have a letter saying its not an issue, I also wanted to keep quiet in future in case it effected the Tax I pay on the vehicle

I can prove that mines an sti so I dont have an issue on this one even though my V5 says its a 2 litre GL...........
Old 30 August 2008, 11:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chassis number will say what the car is, if you insure it as a GL and have an accident then you may not be covered at all, this under the law equates to no insurance (6 points), so its best to insure the car as what it is, an STi

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2008, 09:27 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

Well the thing is, i spoke to a couple insurance co's and they didnt want to insure my car as an sti and would only insure it as it is on the V5.

I spoke to DVLA but DVLA said that they will not change the model description unless they have a written confirmation from SUBARU UK, and SUBARU UK wants 150 pounds for their service because they will have to contact Japan and get a model description from them.

Anyway, i spoke to a few people now and all confirm that its not a problem and it has always been like that because there was no STI model in the DVLA database for 1995-1996 cars so they registered them as GLs and whatnot.
Old 02 September 2008, 09:12 PM
chrisray
Scooby Regular

seems a lot for their service. when i changed mine i had no problem with the DVLA. i would pay just incase you have problems with your insurance company, if need to claim.