Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit by a stolen car involved in a police stinger operation

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2008, 03:13 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hit by a stolen car involved in a police stinger operation

Hi folks,

My car was parked up outside the house when it was hit by a stolen car that the police brought to a stop using a stinger. Unforyunately, my car has been very badly damaged in the process and likely to be written off.

I have a policy with A-Plan and replacement car hire as my car is essential for the purposes of my job. However, they have informed me that as the car is stolen my car hire and legal cover does not kick in! I am only entitled to a courtesy car from the bodyshop if it is repairable. As a result I have been left with no vehicle since Wednesday and will not recieve a replacement car unless it can be repaired (not at all if a total loss). I understand that i'm not entitled to one if the car is a total loss, but I thought the whole idea of an additional premium for a replacement car was so that you had a car for the interim period before it has been assessed by an engineer.

Insurance industry in this country is a complete law into itself.

They advised me that an additional premium is now available, at renewal, to purchase which would guarantee a replacement car if you are hit by a stolen car. Whats the point of the premium if the continually add - add on's to it?

If my car is a total loss, I reckon that all in all I will be out of pocket by a least £1500 taking into account poor offer I will recieve and my excess, not to mention not being able to go to work, wife not going to work, complete inconvenience and trying to view another car to purchase with no car to get there.

Insurance sucks.

James
Old 19 April 2008, 03:35 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

and no doubt the person driving the stolen car will just get a 12 month ban and £50 fine
Old 19 April 2008, 10:20 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Seems unfair that the damage to your car is directly linked to the police's action to stop the car,should be them who pay up.But as always,they'll get away with it.

A few years ago i had a 309 gti,which a the time was my pride and joy.It was broken into in a secure car park. I lost all my cd's,and a window.
I later found out that the police watched the guy do it,as they wanted to follow the guy back to his digs to find the rest of the stash he'd stolen.
They let him steal my stuff,break my window,then lost him!
I was about £150 down in cd's,and £70 for a window. And i thought they were ment to stop crime!!