Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX Insurance for a 19yo?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2007, 01:10 AM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Insurance for a 19yo?

Hi all,

My insurance is for renewal in August, by then I'll be 19 and possibly in the position to buy a 2002/3 WRX Scoob.

Currently with Admiral paying £200 a month for my car, going to ring them tomorrow to see if they will

A: Insure me on one

B: what the difference will be.

In the mean time, any suggestions for insurance companys would be great

Many Thanks.

Phate
Old 21 May 2007, 03:16 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

ask a fellow called multifji or whatever his bloody name is. hes 18 or was, and running a 300+bhp sti. hes paying £££ but may be able to point you in a direction.

andy
Old 21 May 2007, 03:21 AM
matt21
Scooby Newbie

hiya pal, i am 19 also and getting insured for my sti type RA was hard, i eventually got from endsleigh insurance, cost a bit but if you have the money go for it.

hope this helps

cheers matt21
Old 21 May 2007, 07:44 AM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replys.

How much are you guys paying out of interest?

Cheers!

Phate
Old 21 May 2007, 09:41 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Phate
Hi all,

My insurance is for renewal in August, by then I'll be 19 and possibly in the position to buy a 2002/3 WRX Scoob.

Currently with Admiral paying £200 a month for my car, going to ring them tomorrow to see if they will

A: Insure me on one

B: what the difference will be.

In the mean time, any suggestions for insurance companys would be great

Many Thanks.

Phate
At your age mate, I'd think you'd be looking at a quotes in the region of 4k! Do not be tempted by 3rd party quotes or policies where you are put down as the named driver. You won't get a penny if the worst happens and in the latter case, they'll just revoke your insurance altogether!

TBH, better to wait till you're 21 and with a few more years NCB under your belt; much more sensible quotes them!

Spend the money on Beer and p*ssy whilst you're young!

Ns04
Old 21 May 2007, 01:05 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I was 19 when I first got my scooby turbo 2000 a few years ago, Only way I could insure it was to go on my dads policy with elephant.co.uk, otherwise you will probably be paying £2k+. which even if I could afford I wouldnt on pricipal.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:14 PM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

many thanks for the replys, just rang my insurer of my current car and they said they might be able to but can't tell me for definate until I turn 19.

Have asked Adrian Flux for a quote and I'm going to ring GSI Performance and tell them I'm 19 etc and see if they will quote me.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:18 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

if worse comes to worse phate, couldnt you stick with a uk car, as its 3 insurance groups lower than an import. for the record im 22, only passed my test 14 months ago, and im "only" paying £1751 fully comp on my policy, with legal expenses and free breakdown assistance.

andy
Old 21 May 2007, 01:32 PM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
if worse comes to worse phate, couldnt you stick with a uk car, as its 3 insurance groups lower than an import. for the record im 22, only passed my test 14 months ago, and im "only" paying £1751 fully comp on my policy, with legal expenses and free breakdown assistance.

andy

What would be the equivilant UK car?

and what car do you drive?
Old 21 May 2007, 01:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

What would be the equivilant UK car?

and what car do you drive?
ah sorry, didnt see the 2002/3 wrx bit.

no, what i thought was you were looking at an import, ie a wrx/sti made between 1992-2000. afterwards, the uk turbo 2000 was called the wrx. my bad. im assuming then that your looking at a uk car as it is? same as mine, but i drive a my99 uk classic.

andy.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:51 PM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

ah sorry, didnt see the 2002/3 wrx bit.

no, what i thought was you were looking at an import, ie a wrx/sti made between 1992-2000. afterwards, the uk turbo 2000 was called the wrx. my bad. im assuming then that your looking at a uk car as it is? same as mine, but i drive a my99 uk classic.

andy.

No worrys - Yes I will be looking for a standard UK car. I know someone (who is quite possibly a member here) who is 19 and drives a '04 WRX and doesn't pay through the roof for insurance, he is with GSI Performance so hopefully I'll be able to get a 2002/03 one.

Anyone have contact details for GSI?

Thanks.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

just had a look on www.parkers.co.uk for you.

to give you the idea of insurance groups (which ultimatly determine your premuim), this is the list for imprezas between 2000-2005

Subaru Impreza Saloon (00-05) - Technical Data - Parker's

alternatly this is for the classics between 1992-2000

Subaru Impreza Saloon (93-01) - Technical Data - Parker's

nb. these are for the uk models, and dont includedjm imports and are for saloons, not wagons too.

just to give you an idea. if it worked out cheaper on insurance, could you not look into getting a classic, with mine being group 17, the equivalent now for the newage is 19/20... would make a difference for a 19 year old.

andy
Old 21 May 2007, 02:05 PM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

snip
I always thought the classics need a fair bit spent on them to get them on par with a 03 shape/spec one - or am I talking rubbish?

If this isn't the case I'd certainly look at a classic's
Old 21 May 2007, 02:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I always thought the classics need a fair bit spent on them to get them on par with a 03 shape/spec one - or am I talking rubbish?

If this isn't the case I'd certainly look at a classic's
not necessarily fella. a well looked after classic could be in just as good shape as a newage. basically what you may save in replacement parts with a newage over a classic, you may spend on with regsrds the new road tax rules, or more expensive parts/remaps after modifications.

good examples being...
my car tax at the moment is £99 for 6 months, a newage after 2001-2002? is a lot more due to the new brackert system.
i have a decat centre/backbox on mine. doesnt need a remap, but i believe for a newage it would.

on the other hand, my car is older and therefore may need replacements parts etc. but if a cars looked after well, theres no reason what so over why my classic which is 8 years old, would not run as smoothly as a 2002-2003 wrx. it really is down to personal choice, but i prefer thye classics any day of the week. remembering (without trying to sound persuasive) classics were made up until 2001, the bug-eyes then taking over. so you could get an early bugeye for around the same as a late classic.

performance wise, there is not much in it at all. the classics weigh less than the newage (well in standard form, not taking into consideration the special editions on both ages), whereas i think the newage wrx (equivalent to classic uk turbo 2000's) have maybe 10bhp more. its the imports, and the stis which have a big difference, bu thats a different kettle of fish completly, especially regards insurance for a 19 year old!!!!

do a search mate, try the general forum. ask questions, and then take the pros and cons, but i bet you'll get a cheaper insurance quote with a classic and be just as happy with it as a newage. all imho anyway.

have a look at the links i posted earlier in this thread and look at the performance figures for the uk models, nowt in them to be honest.

andy