Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amount of trackday cover needed?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2007, 03:18 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amount of trackday cover needed?

I'm looking at getting track day insurance for the April 16th track day at Castle Combe. It'll be my first ever track day so I'm nervous about damaging or writing off my pride and joy.

I've had 2 quotes, and both are fairly similar at around £10 per £1000 (road risks insurer - A plan - does not offer cover).

For a car worth around £18k - on a good day - the insurance cost to provide full replacement cover is more than the cost of the day itself!

Obviously this is a personal choice, and a case of balancing risk against cost, but several people I've spoken to say Castle Combe can be unforgiving if you do mess up, so I think I'll probably play cautious and take out cover - the domestic Finance Controller agrees strongly

Realistically, am I likely to write the car off if I have "a moment"? I'm wondering if a good compromise is to take sufficient cover for the most likely repair scenario.

But, to weigh up that option I need to know the kind of damage I *might* typically suffer, and the likelihood of writing the car off completely.

Any thoughts, anyone?
Old 27 March 2007, 04:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Would probably be best to do it if you're doing Castle Coombe, the place has a bit of a reputation
Old 27 March 2007, 04:15 PM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes an expensve day dearer if you factor in track cover, i have done 3 trackdays an like most people do not bother with trackday insurance, instead get booked with an instructor and refrain from going out before instruction if yor that nervous, the best thing i ever did was have an instructor the first time i ventured onto circuit as i was a little scared.

With regard crashing - as an instructor said to us all after a saphire cossie smashed himslef up it shouldn't have happened, it only happens if you pusht, a car usually gives warnings before a big off, ie a twitch or two, so heed the warnings and slow down after them. No one should crash on a trackday although yes it can and does happen.
Old 27 March 2007, 04:19 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

When I have looked at it the small print usually has a massive excess, say £3,000 anyway. Engine damage is not covered either. So even if you do crash it is likley you will be crying anyway
Old 27 March 2007, 04:25 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEN555
When I have looked at it the small print usually has a massive excess, say £3,000 anyway.
£1800 in this case, but it would still hurt.

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Engine damage is not covered either. So even if you do crash it is likely you will be crying anyway
Subject to (pending) confirmation, the car warranty I have *does* cover trackdays
Old 27 March 2007, 04:57 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
£1800 in this case, but it would still hurt.

Subject to (pending) confirmation, the car warranty I have *does* cover trackdays
Cover your numberplate when on track
Old 27 March 2007, 10:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done more laps of Combe than i can count, and once, and only once has anything ever gone wrong, and that cost me a new bodyshell on my poor old Mini..... well, that and 6k spent in one winter... no labour, i did the lot!!

If i were doing it in a car worth 18k, then i would take the cover, as long as it covers damage caused by other drivers.... thats where a lot of the risk comes into it..... imho...

Enjoy!!

ps, treat Quarry with BIG respect...!!

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2007, 06:00 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

i have always insured the spec'C' for around 15k on track days... surely i wouldn't do that much damage... it wont be on track much now as i have a rover coupe turbo in the making of my track day car.....
Old 28 March 2007, 06:15 PM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

castle combe is can be a very tricky track and with no sand traps it tends to go tarmac grass then a nice concrete wall i would take the full cover out