Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance for semi long-term use abroad

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2007, 03:23 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for semi long-term use abroad

Hi All

I've just started working in the Netherlands but am just a contractor for a year with a view to going permanent after that. I'm told it's not possible for me to purchase a Dutch car without citizenship, so I will have to buy a second car in the UK and bring it over for a year. Most insurers allow 3 months out of any year to be spent in a foreign EU country, but I'll need more than that.

Through searching I found Stuart Collins offering year-round EU use, but they gave a quote of 1600GBP on a group 4 Toyota Starlet SR! They wouldn't quote for the MY00 Mazda 323 GT I actually want because I'm 22. My first (UK based) car is a modified Impreza GL on which I have 3 years NCB and a faultless record. I could insure a 323 GT for normal UK use for around 450GBP.

Anyone know of any companies that allow EU use but don't multiply the UK quote by 5?!

Cheers,

Ben
Old 23 January 2007, 04:22 PM
maclean2
Scooby Regular

Hi - eCar Insurance - Welcome to eCar

will provide long term EU cover as explained on their website

and Liverpool Victoria will provide 180 days per year.

Finally - alessie.com

in Rotterdam can arrange temporary cover for EU vehicles used all over Europe.Reputable company but do not know their price levels ie could be expensive.

Last edited by maclean2; 23 January 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 25 January 2007, 09:50 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks Maclean2. I tried an eCar quote and it's quite reasonable but they say EU use has to be for travel only and you can't be resident abroad. I think I'd be stretching the rules given my circumstances.

Will give Alessie a call and see what they're like.
Old 25 January 2007, 02:08 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Liverpool Victoria's website says:

All of our policies give the minimum compulsory insurance cover required in the European Union. However this would not cover damage to your car. For a small additional premium, you can choose to extend this minimum cover to give the full benefits of this insurance when you are travelling in EU Countries up to 180 days in a row, including when your car is being transported.

Maybe 180 days would be enough until I can get a Dutch car anyway, but their wording above seems to indicate they (and all insurers) have to give third party cover throughout the EU all year round, but fully comp cover would only be provided for 180 days. I've got the same impression from other insurers' websites too, eg, the AA say:

All private car policies issued in the UK include the minimum cover required in any EU country. In addition, AA Insurance policies provide cover equivalent to that held in the UK (for up to 90 days in a year). For example, a comprehensive policyholder receives comprehensive cover free of charge while driving in an EU country. Cover may be extended for longer periods or for countries outside the EU.

Would any of the site sponsors care to comment and/or state their own policies re foreign use?

Last edited by scoobyster; 25 January 2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 25 January 2007, 05:23 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Scoobyster,

The underwriters that we deal with do vary in terms of the length of time overseas, but in the main they are identical to that offered by the AA in terms of the overseas element of the policy.

So the best we could do for a UK national would be 90 days full cover per year.

In the main, the dutch do speak very good English and it may be worth simply using the 90 days provided by your existing Insurer to get you out there then source cover from a Dutch underwriter.

Another spanner in the works is that unless agreed prior to the trip it is assumed that the cover under the policy if for pleasure use only and with this in mind it would be worth checking, especially if you will be commuting to one/or various offices for work.

Finally, UK residence may also present an issue as most UK Insurers will require their policyholder to be a UK resident. Although this is primarily aimed to prevent individuals coming from countries far & wide, covering a car here to tour europe/UK with and then 'running off' after a claim leaving the Insurer to pick up the pieces.

Thus they tend to be allergic to non-resident individuals, or those with limited residency.

This may restrict the market in terms of who wishes to cover you, but even with explaining the situation & honestly declaring your requirements you should still be able to source decent cover.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 02 February 2007, 03:43 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your reply Tony. I'm still not clear on, for example, the AA's stance though - they say 90 days full cover, but does that mean they continue to provide "minimum cover required in any EU country" indefinitely? If necessary I could put up with a disposible car so wouldn't mind 3rd party only, if that would mean I could play by the rules. Since you seem to think it should be possible to get cover, could you suggest any companies that might quote given my requirements?

Thanks again,

Ben