Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?????

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 10:31 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?????

I have a P Reg Honda Civic vti hatch which we have as a second car, it was parked outside our house today and this old woman reverses from the drive across from my house right into the back quarter. She doesn't feel it and tries to reverse right through it, leaving a massive dent and a small dent on the door. She admits it's her fault and gives my wife her name and number. I gave her a call and spoke to her husband who says he doesn't want to go through the insurance as it's the 2nd crash she's had in 5 weeks, he wants me to get a quote and her to get one then compare notes. In his words there are quotes and there are QUOTES, i.e. he wants it done on the cheap. He got a bit shirty when he suggested we just take it to his local garage and I said NO I want it doing right!! Should I go through the insurance or see if this guy will do me right but I have a feeling he will be arguing the toss over money.

You may be thinking why bother over a P Reg Civic but but this Civic has only done 20,000 miles in 9 years, has full leather and loads of extras and was MINT so don't want it written off but still want a really good job doing on it!!!

Old biddy drivers gggggggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 05 December 2006, 10:42 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Its difficult being your neighbours and all. But at the end of the day you want the job done well.

You'd have the right to get it done where you want if it went through insurance so why not now?

If it was me i'd be fair and try keep costs down but it they started arguing the toss, i wouldn't argue back... i'd just ask for her insurance details.
Old 05 December 2006, 11:16 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Report her to the Police for being a **** driver, 2 crashes in 5 weeks, get her off the road before she kills someone
Old 05 December 2006, 11:24 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Go through the insurance. It sounds like she oughtn't to be on the road anyway.
Old 05 December 2006, 11:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

IMHO, quite simply tell the bloke that you're prepared to try and help him out, but not if it's going to cost you. You'll keep it off insurance for him as long as you get to say where it's repaired - tell him you won't take the p8ss but you want a proper job so he can't either. Unless he agrees to those terms, it goes through insurance. If he wants to get shirty about going somewhere cheap, it has to go by the book.

I know there's two sides to everything etc, but she does sound a bit of a menace.
Old 06 December 2006, 01:03 AM
scoobie_eccosse
Scooby Regular

Location: edinburgh scoobies-555 wagon squadron- s.w.a.t.s.a.r

if they dont like the quote u get and wont pay or give u her insurance details then do the same to her car lol but on a serious not go through the insurance companys then ur covered with all costs and court costs if it gets nasty good luck mate
Old 06 December 2006, 05:57 AM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas, I am going to get a quote today for the repair and if he dont like it then it goes to the insurance and I will let them deal with it.

Cheers again, I will keep you posted

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2006, 08:32 AM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

IMHO... Id report her...! obviously a menace and really lucky it wasnt a woman child n pushchair...! or imagine the next time she is out, prangs someones car, and hubby says to her, "quick boot it, we cant have a 3rd claim"...

oh, and go thru the insurance, if they write it off, buy it back cheap, get the work done.. spend the rest on your scooby
Old 06 December 2006, 08:37 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Remember if you go through your insurance it counts against YOU when you come to renew. I know it's not your fault but apparently the fact you have been involved in an incident makes you a higher risk.

Sorry to say that it will end up costing you in the end.

Gary
Old 06 December 2006, 08:44 AM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Remember if you go through your insurance it counts against YOU when you come to renew. I know it's not your fault but apparently the fact you have been involved in an incident makes you a higher risk.

Sorry to say that it will end up costing you in the end.

Gary

TRUE...!
Good point Gary!
Dam insurance co's, they have us by the b4lls, Im going to really upset one tho, Advice please! where do I stand? thread in general
Old 06 December 2006, 08:55 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Go through the insurance if he's getting shirty....
Plus if it's the second time she's crashed in 5 weeks, she shouldn't be on the road....
Old 06 December 2006, 09:15 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above comments. If she's had two accidents in five weeks then chances are she'll have another one soon. I wouldn't want to keep it quiet and then find out she has reversed over some kid. I'd want the insurance company to know about BOTH accidents she's had.
Get a quote from the nearest Honda garage. They painted it originally, they should be the ones to do the re-spray.
It's their fault not yours, so you should get it looking like it did before she had her accident regardless of the cost to her insurance or husband.
Old 06 December 2006, 09:21 AM
NeilDown&PhilMee
Scooby Regular

Firstly, you have a duty to report this to your insurance company. So, ask him for their insurance details NOW. Tell him that you'll give him the chance to pay for the damage himself befoe you go to the insurers and that you'll be getting 2 quotes from garages of your choice; ones which YOU'D be happy with.

If you try and be fair maybe he'll be reasonable too when he's seeing you're not trying to get something for nothing, i.e. extra work on that 'scratch on the bumper' etc.

If he still won't listen then tell him that you're going direct to the insurers.

If you have a 'non fault' claim it may effect your premium, but it may not - I know from experiance!

Good luck and don't wait too long before going to the insurance company - a few days max.
Old 06 December 2006, 09:24 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

If the rear quarter is badly damaged... I'd go through the insurance... as it could be a expensive repair, which has to be done right... neighbour or not...
Sorry... but in most cases if you don't end up going through the insurance... you get pee'd about...
Old 06 December 2006, 04:49 PM
wrxmad69
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
Report her to the Police for being a **** driver, 2 crashes in 5 weeks, get her off the road before she kills someone
Old 07 December 2006, 10:13 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Had a two quotes on the damage to my car, one at his garage and one at mine. He calls me today and says he wants to go through the insurance as he has **** himself because his garage has said it will be about £1500, so my wife is taking it to the insurance garage so they can examine it and find out if its worth fixing or not. Either way I am gonna keep the car, even if its written off I will buy it back and fix it myself.

Cheers for all the comments,I will keep you posted
Old 08 December 2006, 12:10 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

£1500 from HIS garage? And he wanted it doing on the cheap?!?! Have you taken any pics?
Old 08 December 2006, 12:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

even if you go throught the insurance compny they can pick up the bill anyway to prevent it becoming a claim. so covered both ways
Old 10 December 2006, 01:36 AM
scoobie_eccosse
Scooby Regular

Location: edinburgh scoobies-555 wagon squadron- s.w.a.t.s.a.r

Originally Posted by scoobywrxuk300
TRUE...!
Good point Gary!
Dam insurance co's, they have us by the b4lls, Im going to really upset one tho, Advice please! where do I stand? thread in general

it only goes against u if u claim on ur insurance claim off theres a lot of insurance companys dont tell ya that
Old 10 December 2006, 01:07 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

let your insurance know whats happening just in case it goes **** up.If you do claim and win, it will have to be declared on your next quote if you go elsewhere but will have no effect on your premium if its settled and not your fault.
If your fair with your neighbour it shouldn,t be a problem getting it sorted but i can see what is fears are that he will be taken to the cleaners.He will be shocked when you give him the quote, i would have thought not much change out of £400 for a panel repair and a good paint job