Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comprehensive Insurance - Driving other cars

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2006, 10:24 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comprehensive Insurance - Driving other cars

Hello,

Does anyone know of a company which allows comprehensive policy holders under 25 to drive other vehicles 3rd party?

Andy
Old 27 April 2006, 10:33 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's just a condition of the policy, so they will all do it, I assume.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can drive any car with this insurance, as the car you are driving 3rd party has to be covered too.
Old 27 April 2006, 10:37 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

1) thanks

2) if you say so
Old 27 April 2006, 10:40 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

1. You're welcome

2. If you could drive ANY CAR with your comp insurance that would mean you could get insured on a 900cc panda fully comp for £50, and then get yourself a Ferrari and be covered under the Panda........

This a huge area that many people don't get, and end up losing their licenses over. I see it all too often.
Old 27 April 2006, 10:47 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Please explain... I assumed third party liability cover was based on a driver OF a car not the car itself. It's not an issue as it's so my GF can drive my car - but am interested now hehe

No where in my policy T&Cs (this question was for my GF) does it say the other car has to be otherwise insured.
Old 27 April 2006, 10:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its is an absolute nightmare, dont know when they put it on, I used to use this facility but the response from the insurance company was so vague, I put it to the test when I bumped another car when driving my bro's old banger, they paid out to fix the other car and I didnt claim for the damage to his car (couldnt anyway) but they didnt ask any awkward questions.

They did say when I rang another time, that it was for emegency use ?

Whats that, missus about to give birth or running out of charcoal during a barbecue ?
Old 27 April 2006, 10:56 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Which is the problem. The policy will just say "and covered to drive any other vehicle in a 3rd party capacity", or words to that effect.

It fails to mention that the vehicle you're driving 3rd party has to have another policy covering - usually by its owner.

If insurance was so easy you could literally buy and insure the said panda and buy a fleet of cars and be covered 3rd party on them all for £50.

Traders' insurance is the way to do it, if you want to be insured to drive any car, but that has its limitations.

I've been involved in numerous cases where I've pulled people driving cars who think they have cover because they're "fully comp and can drive any car", only to do a bit of checking - 10 seconds on the radio, to then be told the car has no insurance. 6 - 8 points and £200 - £500 fine in a Mags court.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'm still amazed this question gets asked.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:09 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

In summary:

The car you are driving has to have an insurance policy covering it, whether it's your car or not.

Only trading insurance or police insurance will cover a driver for any car, and there are limitations on both those parts.

A fully comp policy on your car will not mean you have cover to drive another car unless that other car has a policy covering it for 3rd party liability and you have the owner's permission to be driving that car AND you have a current license to drive that class of vehicle.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:22 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for clairifying!

Anyone know of a company that defo does it?
Old 27 April 2006, 11:23 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Elephant.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:41 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Incorrect- if your under 25 the loophole has been pretty much closed. Even if you get fully comp, and it says insured to drive other vechicles third party, you generally find, in the small print, subject to T&C. These can rarely be found online, the T&C, and last week I spent a good part of thirty minutes on the phone to be told, "Sorry Sir seems you are out of our criteria".
Even when I drove my CRX fully comp, I could not use my mothers 1.2 Fiat Punto.
Shame, as I really do need access to family vechicles every now and then.
If by the off chance you do find some firm that does cover under 25's, please drop me a PM of post on here for my use.
All the best.

Forgot to add I am tweenty-two, part student part professional.
Old 28 April 2006, 12:03 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Incorrect- if your under 25 the loophole has been pretty much closed. Even if you get fully comp, and it says insured to drive other vechicles third party, you generally find, in the small print, subject to T&C. These can rarely be found online, the T&C, and last week I spent a good part of thirty minutes on the phone to be told, "Sorry Sir seems you are out of our criteria".
Even when I drove my CRX fully comp, I could not use my mothers 1.2 Fiat Punto.
Shame, as I really do need access to family vechicles every now and then.
If by the off chance you do find some firm that does cover under 25's, please drop me a PM of post on here for my use.
All the best.

Forgot to add I am tweenty-two, part student part professional.
she's gonna have a ring around tomorrow (now starting with Elephant). Will let you know if she finds somewhere that isn't shyte.
Old 28 April 2006, 02:44 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

As far as I have found, under 25 there is no way.

Also it is strictly ONLY for emergency cover, so if she can tell a good lie about how you unexpectantly became ill needed driven home that sunday afternoon you'd been at the pub then you're on the way.

I don't think she'll get the cover.

The phrase you get what you pay for applies her, the person isn't really covered.

Last edited by Richard_P; 28 April 2006 at 02:51 AM.
Old 28 April 2006, 03:00 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
It fails to mention that the vehicle you're driving 3rd party has to have another policy covering - usually by its owner..
Total cods. If you have cover to drive other peoples cars on your insurance certificate, it matters not whether the owner has their own insurance you're insured. The problem usually comes from people who think that comp insurance gives you this extension automatically...It doesn't. In fact the insurer can omit it from any policy they like so basically, you have to wait for the cert to arrive to make sure you have the cover.

The 'Driving other cars extension' can be applied to any policy too. It matters not whether you are comp or 3rd party . The only thing that matters is what it says on your cert.
Old 28 April 2006, 06:25 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stainy
Total cods. If you have cover to drive other peoples cars on your insurance certificate, it matters not whether the owner has their own insurance you're insured. The problem usually comes from people who think that comp insurance gives you this extension automatically...It doesn't. In fact the insurer can omit it from any policy they like so basically, you have to wait for the cert to arrive to make sure you have the cover.

The 'Driving other cars extension' can be applied to any policy too. It matters not whether you are comp or 3rd party . The only thing that matters is what it says on your cert.
Who told you that crap?

I've been working within this field for the last year, been to court several times with people with your misunderstanding of insurance and observed them receive points, fines and bans.
Old 28 April 2006, 07:30 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I had third party cover on my insurance policy (with the aa) when I was 17 to 18, I was the only one I knew that had it. Was great fun driving round in my dads S class or my mums 7 series

I phoned them around a dozen times to confirm it because im sure it was a mistake. I think your out of luck if your under 25 now because I think a lot of insurance companies have cut it out to save costs.
Old 28 April 2006, 08:20 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I had third party cover on my insurance policy (with the aa) when I was 17 to 18, I was the only one I knew that had it. Was great fun driving round in my dads S class or my mums 7 series

I phoned them around a dozen times to confirm it because im sure it was a mistake. I think your out of luck if your under 25 now because I think a lot of insurance companies have cut it out to save costs.
But if you pranged either of their cars and you were not on the policy for those cars, only a third party would be covered. If you wrote off the car by stuffing it into a tree, your parents would have to take a hit for the full value of the car.
Old 28 April 2006, 08:23 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!

They've cut it down because of kids taking the **** and crashing ma and pa's cars in the past (and by that I mean it got cut out by most around 10 years ago). What has been said above about the other car needing to be insured is correct and I have read as much in my T&C's in the past. In fact it's always been the case as far as I can remember.

The old trick used to be that your mum had a mini and you had some chav mobile or other that was hard to insure, so you insured your mum's mini fully comp and she insured said chav mobile third party. You then proceed to drive the chav mobile around with your third party cover - this could save an 18 y/o a **** load of money.

Another proviso (and it goes for being a named driver too) is that you are probably not covered for "main use" ie to and from your place of business etc.
Old 28 April 2006, 11:53 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Who told you that crap?

I've been working within this field for the last year, been to court several times with people with your misunderstanding of insurance and observed them receive points, fines and bans.
I did.

I've been working in the field for the last 20 years. Motor insurance underwriter then law enforcement. I (was) qualified as an ACII (associate of the chartered insurance institute). If it says you can drive other peoples cars on your certificate of motor insurance, you can, end of (3rd party only). There is NO requirement for the vehicle to be seperately insured. When was the last time you gave out a HO/RT1 which required production of anything other than insurance cover for the driver
Old 28 April 2006, 12:23 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stainy
I did.

I've been working in the field for the last 20 years. Motor insurance underwriter then law enforcement. I (was) qualified as an ACII (associate of the chartered insurance institute). If it says you can drive other peoples cars on your certificate of motor insurance, you can, end of (3rd party only). There is NO requirement for the vehicle to be seperately insured. When was the last time you gave out a HO/RT1 which required production of anything other than insurance cover for the driver
Thats ok all the time you are in the car.
HOWEVER, it that vehicle is un-insured and you park the vehicle and get out of it you are in theory leaving un in-insured vehicle on the public road, which i believe is an offence. 6 points and £100 fine.
Old 29 April 2006, 01:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Comprehensive cover always used to cover you to drive another car with the owner's permission but only with 3rd party cover. The car concerned had to be insured also by the owner.

I have heard that the companies are tending to withold this concession now and I think you would have to check your own policy to find out.

Les
Old 29 April 2006, 03:03 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Thats ok all the time you are in the car.
HOWEVER, it that vehicle is un-insured and you park the vehicle and get out of it you are in theory leaving un in-insured vehicle on the public road, which i believe is an offence. 6 points and £100 fine.
Finally someone with a clue. This would be tested on each cases individual merit. ie there are several stated cases which say that you are still 'driving' a car even when it's been parked for a while. (one example I can think of is someone stopping at a shop then continuing the journey a few minutes later). The big question in this case is when do you cease to be driving then? This is where someone might fall foul of the law.
Old 29 April 2006, 03:26 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Sorry officer i cant pull over as i would be commiting an offence by leaving the car
Old 29 April 2006, 04:28 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Old 29 April 2006, 06:54 PM
R.Bullets
Scooby Newbie

This whole argument will be void within a short time. I have just renewed, and for the first time I no longer have the DOC extension on my policy. A number of main companies have made this move, and the rest will follow very shortly I fear.

This list is cut and pasted from another forum. It is from August of last year so companies such as Norwich Union and RAC have already stopped offering this.

Norwich Union direct ---- Removed by the end of the year
Asda ---- Removed by the end of the year
RAC ---- Removed by the end of the year
Royal and Sun Alliance ---- Under review
More Th>n ---- Under review
AXA ---- Under review
Cornhill Direct ---- Under review
Royal Bank of Scotland ---- Will continue to offer
Direct Line ---- Will continue to offer
Churchill ---- Will continue to offer
Tesco ---- Will continue to offer
Groupama ---- Will continue to offer
Sainsbury`s ---- Will continue to offer
Admiral ---- Will contimue to offer

Industry reps on the other forum say that even those listed here as continuing will be changing soon, maybe within a year.

This will undoubtedly mean many people unknowingly driving without insurance, and will make private buying or selling of cars almost impossible.

RB
Old 30 April 2006, 01:45 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Bah, that will be a right royal pain in the @rse

I dont do it often but I use the driving other cars occasionally (like the next door neighbours clapped out Volvo estate for tip runs )

I have a 1 yr old Gp20 car and pay quite enough premium already thank you very much.

FFS If I'm driving something else, the insurance company's exposure is reduced not increased, as the scoob will be in the garage and whatever I have borrowed is TPO.

I realise this scenario is the exception rather than the rule and some pikey little 17yr old driving a scoob on a metro policy is the reason they are doing this. However, each case should be taken on merit by someone who has a clue about the risk factors. It strikes me that insurance is going the same as everything else in this world a carte-blanche catch all where everything goes to the lowest common denominator