Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about WRX and PPP

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 10:49 PM
Ballsy_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about WRX and PPP

Hi,
not yet a impreza owner but hoping to be very soon.
Are there any 2003 or 2004 impreza wrx's around that will have had the PPP fitted when the car was first registered.
I ask because if they had the PPP when the car was new and first registered then doesn't it mean that i'd only have to insure the car as a standard wrx?
Thats my understanding anyway because when i brought my civic sport new last year i had the replica type r spoiler and upgraded 17in alloys fitted and honda said to insure it as a standard car because the mods were done before the car was registered.
The same happened with mg zr i had before the civic. i had the bigger wheels and bodykit fitted but i only had to insure it as a standard.

Am i right in thinking it will be the same with a wrx ppp, if the PPP was fitted before the car was first registered i only have to insure it as a standard car?

or is it different because the PPP is performance mods?

Cheers,
Rob
Old 16 April 2006, 08:19 AM
carlpcross
Scooby Regular

i would tell the insurance company about the ppp, i have it on my sti and the price was the same with or without ppp.

carl..
Old 16 April 2006, 01:35 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK have NEVER fitted a PPP kit to ANY of their cars prior to registration, and insuring by the new owner.
And that includes the WR1.

The vehicle with PPP would not pass the EU emissions regulations for NEW cars imported into the UK.
Once registered to the new keeper, and insured by them, it effectively becomes a secondhand car and can then be modified.

The ABI recognise the WR1 and the 2005 model year only WRX's and WRX STi's with PPP as 'standard' cars. i.e. you can insure them as non modified, but the vehicle still had to be registered AND insured by the owner prior to fittment of the PPP.

So in answer to your question NO you cannot get a 2003/2004 WRX fitted as std with PPP.
And the ABI don't recognise such a vehicle.

See here for the list of vehicles.
http://www.abi.org.uk/carinsurance/download.asp
Download the Code44 file.
2005 WRX PPP is 261bhp
2005 WRX STi PPP is 301 bhp,,

BUT THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE FOR 2005 MODEL YEARS.

Some insurance companies appear to be covering non 2005 model cars with PPP as std, but the ABI don't list those cars.
It could get messy when attempting to claim.
Just because the insurance clerk has misunderstood your vehicle details when taking out the policy, does not make your insurance valid.
The onus is on the owner to disclose what they are driving.
And anything other than a MY2005 Impreza with PPP IS modified.

If you disclose everything and get it in writing then you are covered.
If not you are taking a big risk.

I notice also that the 2006 model cars are not yet listed with the ABI with PPP either.
Looks like I might be writing letters to Subaru UK and Prodrive again.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=415477

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 16 April 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 16 April 2006, 09:33 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ballsy_WRX
Hi,
when i brought my civic sport new last year i had the replica type r spoiler and upgraded 17in alloys fitted and honda said to insure it as a standard car because the mods were done before the car was registered.
The same happened with mg zr i had before the civic. i had the bigger wheels and bodykit fitted but i only had to insure it as a standard.
Aplogies for the capitals, I am not shouting, but don't know how to make text appear bold.

I would also take the word of a car salesman regarding the validity of YOUR insurance cover with a pinch of salt.

The LEGAL contract that exists between YOU and YOUR INSURER does not have a get out clause that says its ok not to mention material facts relating to the vehicle because the salesman said I don't have to tell anyone.

It is highly likely that in the eyes of your insurers you have been driving with out insurance cover over the last couple of years, or more specifically had you been unfortunate enough to have had to make a claim they would be completely within their right to reject the claim, and almost certainly would have.

'Non disclosure of material facts relating to the vehicle and the insured' = non payment in the event of a claim.

Additionally they would then have you listed as a customer who lies, or at least doesn't disclose ALL relevant information about their vehicle when taking out a policy.
Which I suspect could have an adverse effect on future premiums.

The one thing that is absolutely 100% guaranteed is that the garages that sold you the cars would not be paying you a penny in the event of a claim.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, but insurance companies will not tolerate ANY deviation from their rules.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 16 April 2006 at 09:35 PM.