Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2006, 10:28 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance

how far can you go with modifications and get away with it when the insurance company states no modifications. im looking at morette headlights, maybe a carbon bonnet and rally decals. am i likely to have problems with making claims or anything??
Old 12 February 2006, 10:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yes ! Any changes from original spec, whether performance or cosmetic will invalidate the policy if not declared. Fine if you don't need to claim, or even if you have a minor bump, but if you suffer a total loss or perhaps a claim involving serious medical and legal expenses you really don't want to give them an excuse not to pay, especially when the bill could go above 6 figures.
Old 12 February 2006, 10:46 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Yes ! Any changes from original spec, whether performance or cosmetic will invalidate the policy if not declared. Fine if you don't need to claim, or even if you have a minor bump, but if you suffer a total loss or perhaps a claim involving serious medical and legal expenses you really don't want to give them an excuse not to pay, especially when the bill could go above 6 figures.
6 figures, i would declair, but they dont alow any mods. Be switchin insurace companies next year i think. only just renewed tho
Old 12 February 2006, 11:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Frightening isn't it, but when you consider a friend of mine a few years ago crashed his Evo into a car containing a family of four. Thankfully they all made a full recovery but they were all hospitolised for some time, as well as the resulting compensation claims from them, and my mates passenger, the hospitol, ambulances and Police, and there was also the legal case for due care to fight. Had my mate not been insured I dread to think how deep a hole he would have been in. It really isn't worth messing about with. Wiat until next year and insure with A-Plan, Greenlight, Keith Michaels etc.
Old 12 February 2006, 11:21 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpydoo
how far can you go with modifications and get away with it when the insurance company states no modifications. im looking at morette headlights, maybe a carbon bonnet and rally decals. am i likely to have problems with making claims or anything??
if they state no mods, they mean just that, and they would instruct any assesor to check said car following any claim.

It amazes me the amount of people who always post this question.

there quite happy to gamble the value of the car on a few hundred pounds of mods.. are the odds that good?

as the other posters have said, if you want to mod, get a mod friendly insurance co. (ps premiums will be higher)

Mart
Old 12 February 2006, 11:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have only just renewed then you are at fault aren't you??

You should have asked about mods before you renewed!!

It's your call ........ but you will not get any damage to your car paid if you need to make a claim!

The 3rd party will be covered, as it's a legal requirement, but you will be Insurance BlackListed .................... if you can ever get Insurance again, you will have to pay way over the odds for the risk you pose (Insurance is a gentlemans agreement until you need to make a claim, then its strictly business!!!)

If you knowingly are not gentlemanly then you will suffer .... its NOT worth it!

Pete
Old 12 February 2006, 11:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Most policies can be terminated early. You may lose a few quid on the deal, but upto 6 months they will normally refund a proportion of the premium for any complete unused months remaining. Get some quotes from mod friendly places and if you're happy with their prices contact your current insurer to ask if it is possible to cancel the policy with partial refund.

The choices are yours...

Risk it
Wait 'til next year for the mods
Make some calls and try to effect a solution
Old 13 February 2006, 12:10 AM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
if they state no mods, they mean just that, and they would instruct any assesor to check said car following any claim.

It amazes me the amount of people who always post this question.

there quite happy to gamble the value of the car on a few hundred pounds of mods.. are the odds that good?

as the other posters have said, if you want to mod, get a mod friendly insurance co. (ps premiums will be higher)

Mart
erm im asking the question because i dont want to put my car at risk. im just not 100% on what insurance companys class as mods. Like are a decals going to affect a claim? and if a car is brought with a few mods, is the new owner expected to put any slight mods back to standard, eg back box, panel filters, crystal side lights/repeaters, alloys! if i new nothing about cars how can i be expected to now what modifications previous owners have made unless i was told?
Old 13 February 2006, 12:13 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mods mean anything!!!

I'm with Liverpool and Victoria and they ONLY allow a Towbar and Alloy Wheel Mods.

Pete
Old 13 February 2006, 12:58 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You can plead ignorance to a degree, but whether they'd wear it in a claim situation is a chance I'd rather not take. They'd probably invalidate the claim and tell you to defend your position against them in court, where your little white lie could see you charged with purgery. Cosmetic mods will be seen to make the car more attractive to thieves, these can be graphics, spoilers, wheels, foglights etc. They don't make the car any quicker, but enhance it's appearance making it a better prospect to a would-be thief. Obviously I don't need to explain why they attatch a premium to performance enhancements.
Old 13 February 2006, 09:56 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

6 figures, i would declair, but they dont alow any mods. Be switchin insurace companies next year i think. only just renewed tho
Admiral wouldn't insure the PPP mod for me and wanted crazy money for tints. Check if your cancellation policy is pro-rota, as mine was, so you only lose the time you've been insured, plus maybe a small admin fee, and switch to someone like A-Plan.

Live with the satisfation knowing if the **** goes down, you're covered. It's not worth the risk.
Old 13 February 2006, 10:31 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Mods mean anything!!!

I'm with Liverpool and Victoria and they ONLY allow a Towbar and Alloy Wheel Mods.

Pete
I'm with admiral, they pretty much let you have everything however they put a little on top for each one.

They have a list of what you can have on the their website when you do a quote. I think its around 50 quid for an induction kit I think, thats pretty much standard.

Mate, we think nothing of spending 4,5,6,7,8,9 grand on a scooby, whats another 100-150 pound, drop in the ocean, get it insured properly!!
Old 13 February 2006, 11:22 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It might be worth saying to the company you are with that car is going to be modified and see what they say. They may class it as an un-acceptable amendment and offer to give a pro-rata cancellation, therefore you will get most of your money back.

Can't promise this will work, but certainly worth a try!!!
Old 13 February 2006, 12:15 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
I'm with admiral, they pretty much let you have everything however they put a little on top for each one.

They have a list of what you can have on the their website when you do a quote. I think its around 50 quid for an induction kit I think, thats pretty much standard.

Mate, we think nothing of spending 4,5,6,7,8,9 grand on a scooby, whats another 100-150 pound, drop in the ocean, get it insured properly!!
because 1 of my named drivers is 24, most insurance companys won't touch it. adrian flux quoted over 6k so its hardly an extra few quid its an extra 5k
Old 13 February 2006, 03:40 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

because 1 of my named drivers is 24, most insurance companys won't touch it. adrian flux quoted over 6k so its hardly an extra few quid its an extra 5k
I'm 23, it didn't seem to bother admiral in the slightest, I pay £1400 for insurance