Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2006, 10:34 AM
leeroy56
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy insurance

hi all new here...been a massive fan for years and finaly getting a sti v5 99 whooooo. However import insurance is new to me and my first try was a shock! been driving perfornace cars for years and never payed more than £500 comp. Got a quote for £1250 on me to be new car.. Anyone got any good copanys they can recomened. Any and all help will be massively helpful. Cheers in advance. Oh they will have to like mods ecu springs etc...
Old 09 February 2006, 10:37 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary Moulson (me) @ Keith Michaels - 0208 6427868, or Greenlight are very good aswell.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:41 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Gary Moulson (me) @ Keith Michaels - 0208 6427868, or Greenlight are very good aswell.
Just out of interest, what's your company like on young drivers? (I'll be 22 when the renewal is due).
Old 09 February 2006, 10:43 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

1250!!!! I pray for the day my insurance gets to that level.

Currently pay £3777 on MY04 WR1
Old 09 February 2006, 10:46 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
Just out of interest, what's your company like on young drivers? (I'll be 22 when the renewal is due).
Depends on experience really, but can have a look for you.
If i can't help i know LUCKO is very good for the younger drivers, but again experience is important.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:48 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Depends on experience really, but can have a look for you.
If i can't help i know LUCKO is very good for the younger drivers, but again experience is important.
OK, cheers mate
Old 09 February 2006, 12:10 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
You either have no sense, or more money than sense?

Shaun
Old 09 February 2006, 12:27 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
You either have no sense, or more money than sense?

Shaun

Or cars are my hobby and expenditure to this tune is insignificant as It's what my spare time is consumed by and what makes me smile the most.

Same as stamp collectors paying £3000-£10000 for a stamp or gardners spending £10000+ a year on plants that only last the year.

I'd pay £10,000 a year because cars are my hobby!
Old 09 February 2006, 12:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Or cars are my hobby and expenditure to this tune is insignificant as It's what my spare time is consumed by and what makes me smile the most.

Same as stamp collectors paying £3000-£10000 for a stamp or gardners spending £10000+ a year on plants that only last the year.

Good on ya Gangsta! I paid £1800 for the first year with my MY99. Some mates were critical, but hey, what's worse- paying 1900 towards a hobby or god only knows how much more than that on booze and ****?

I'll take the car thanks!!

Ns04
Old 09 February 2006, 12:35 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

1250!!!! I pray for the day my insurance gets to that level.

why the hell are you paying that??
Old 09 February 2006, 12:38 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
why the hell are you paying that??
yeah why??? that is just a joke!!
Old 09 February 2006, 12:39 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

See your point, i've always felt much the same, however £3k+ on a scooby is an incredible amount. I guess there is a story behind that huge number somewhere
Old 09 February 2006, 12:40 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

can you guys not read???

As I said above cars are my hobby and therefore the expenditure is justified. Some of you play golf, go skiing, cultivate gardens, build computers or whatever. I like buying cars and driving them so it makes no difference what the cost of insurance is because it is a necessary evil to enable me to do what makes me the happiest.
Old 09 February 2006, 12:42 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sport160
See your point, i've always felt much the same, however £3k+ on a scooby is an incredible amount. I guess there is a story behind that huge number somewhere

No real story matey ... I was 21 when I bought the WR1 a year ago and before that I had only had 98 WRXs, BMWs and Protons ... if you think 3k is bad I pay a lot more than that on another car I just bought!!
Old 09 February 2006, 12:45 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

can you guys not read???

As I said above cars are my hobby and therefore the expenditure is justified. Some of you play golf, go skiing, cultivate gardens, build computers or whatever. I like buying cars and driving them so it makes no difference what the cost of insurance is because it is a necessary evil to enable me to do what makes me the happiest.
I can read.. just. i only asked why you pay that...?

how old are you?
Old 09 February 2006, 12:49 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, as you say "its what makes you happy" and after all it is your money to do what the hell you like with.

BTW have you still go the WR1, IIRC it was in the for sale section few weeks back, and dare we ask what you've bought now ??
Old 09 February 2006, 12:49 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

£3777 on MY04 WR1
That is a ridiculous amount I love performance cars as much as most on here, but no way could I justify that. One can only assume that you are 17 years old with no NCD, 6 fault claims, 11 points and living next door to the Gallaghers on the Chatsworth Estate and your WR1 is pushing 600bhp with £30k of ICE and blinged up with 20" dubs and body kits

I have friends who pay less on 600bhp Ruf twin turbo's and Noble M12 3R's. I only pay £630 and my list of mods is quite extensive with a Leeds postcode (high ).

I think you should have a chat with Moley, LUCKO or A-Plan
Old 09 February 2006, 12:54 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
That is a ridiculous amount I love performance cars as much as most on here, but no way could I justify that. One can only assume that you are 17 years old with no NCD, 6 fault claims, 11 points and living next door to the Gallaghers on the Chatsworth Estate and your WR1 is pushing 600bhp with £30k of ICE and blinged up with 20" dubs and body kits

I have friends who pay less on 600bhp Ruf twin turbo's and Noble M12 3R's. I only pay £630 and my list of mods is quite extensive with a Leeds postcode (high ).

I think you should have a chat with Moley, LUCKO or A-Plan

I was 21 when I bought the car. 0 points, 0 convictions 0 claims ... it was the first insurance policy I had ever had directly in my name as I insured my cars before that in my company name which made it a lot cheaper.

As mentioned I pay a lot more than that on another car and it's worth every single penny. Makes no difference what the cost is because when I'm driving the cars or on track with them or just looking at them parked up outside the shops or whatever the cost become insignificant.

It's all a question about the balance of your car being your hobby, or just a nice toy. If it swings more towards the hobby side you will always be able to justify spending serious cash on enabling yourself to drive it. Swings the other way and you would have no regrets selling it if the insurance became too much.
Old 09 February 2006, 01:02 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Hobby or not, I think the point being made is if you could get the insurance for £1777 why would you pay £3777? People can't believe that that is the cheapest quote.
Old 09 February 2006, 01:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

21 with your own company and doing well enough to run a WR1 and now something more exotic tells me you're obviously a wise man, but I personally couldn't justify it. There are limits to the value of most things and many people exceed them excessively. Some people pay £200+ just for a pair of jeans for example, whereas I can only justify £30 max. My limit on insurance would be IRO £1200, any more and I simply wouldn't buy the car. Then again, if I can afford a car that costs a large amount to insure, the insurance would be relative.

Hindsight, but a mate of mine whom couldn't afford to run a car got a wreck (group 1 Fiat Panda IIRC) from the scrappers and paid only for them to crush it (undocumented). He then left it behind his garden shed and insured it 3rd party only for 4 years until he could afford a decent car. Obviously he made no claims, and paid out about £800 over the years to insure it, but when it came time to insure his 1st decent car paid £400, instead of £3400 had he not built up 4 years NCD A superb idea for anyone in either his, or your situation.
Old 09 February 2006, 01:25 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
21 with your own company and doing well enough to run a WR1 and now something more exotic tells me you're obviously a wise man, but I personally couldn't justify it. There are limits to the value of most things and many people exceed them excessively. Some people pay £200+ just for a pair of jeans for example, whereas I can only justify £30 max. My limit on insurance would be IRO £1200, any more and I simply wouldn't buy the car. Then again, if I can afford a car that costs a large amount to insure, the insurance would be relative.

Hindsight, but a mate of mine whom couldn't afford to run a car got a wreck (group 1 Fiat Panda IIRC) from the scrappers and paid only for them to crush it (undocumented). He then left it behind his garden shed and insured it 3rd party only for 4 years until he could afford a decent car. Obviously he made no claims, and paid out about £800 over the years to insure it, but when it came time to insure his 1st decent car paid £400, instead of £3400 had he not built up 4 years NCD A superb idea for anyone in either his, or your situation.

That loophole has no been closed matey!

I know that what you said is/was completely legal but i'd rather have a full insurance policy on the car and pay for it properly. That way I will never have any questions asked or any investigations and stuff if a claim is made.

Secondly I have phoned virtually every insurance company in the country to try and insure the car and only two or three would. Believe me I had two people finding numbers for me and then I made the calls.

Even Tom (Rum - Subaru Insured) couldn't get me a quote - I'm sure he'll remember trying because he did so for nearly a month for me!! Something for which I am ever gratefull

You always question your own sanity when you fork out serious cash for something. But the second I sit in any of my cars and turn them on that question disppears from memory and is justified instantly. I have a friend who is well well well into his garden - he spends in excess of £18,000 per year on it and when I stand there I can't see the point and think he's mad ... but when he gets in from work or goes outside and pulls up his seat then any expenditure is justified for him. We all have different passions!!

My ultimate buy ( and hopefully) next big car purchase will be a purple diablo sv - and I think i'll be looking at around £10,000 for insurance on that. Something again which I justify as a necessary evil.
Old 09 February 2006, 01:55 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Gangsta Smurf - fair play t'ya. Is a lot of money, but at least you are fully legal. Lots of people wouldn't bother, or would insure it under their parents name.

I know of a 19 year old who payed £16,000 to insure an Evo 6, and we recently had a quote for a McLaren F1....32 year old....£20,000...third party only!!!! (And yes, that was the cheapest quote he could get anywhere!!!)
Old 09 February 2006, 02:22 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Gangsta Smurf - fair play t'ya. Is a lot of money, but at least you are fully legal. Lots of people wouldn't bother, or would insure it under their parents name.

I know of a 19 year old who payed £16,000 to insure an Evo 6, and we recently had a quote for a McLaren F1....32 year old....£20,000...third party only!!!! (And yes, that was the cheapest quote he could get anywhere!!!)

I am a firm believer of playing straight with things like insurance. Yeh you hear of lots of loopholes and 'other' ways to insure cars but why bother really? I sleep better knowing that my cars are insured properly. Secondly I get pulled over ALL the time and when the pigs... sorry police ... stand there all smug questioning who's car it is and how I insured it I imagine myself turning into a big extended finger when I say mine and in my own name officer!

With the Mac you are looking at a car that will change hands for nigh on £1,000,000 so £20,000 (2%) isn't really that much. Also this guy obviously can afford a Mac in the first place and with the three time yearly service cost at £22,400 per service the insurance is probably half a days pay for him!
Old 09 February 2006, 02:37 PM
sti_charlie
Scooby Newbie

insurance is a right bitch!! im paying £4778 on a 99 wrx sti type-r!!!!

might have something to do with my age
Old 09 February 2006, 02:43 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I am a firm believer of playing straight with things like insurance. Yeh you hear of lots of loopholes and 'other' ways to insure cars but why bother really? I sleep better knowing that my cars are insured properly. Secondly I get pulled over ALL the time and when the pigs... sorry police ... stand there all smug questioning who's car it is and how I insured it I imagine myself turning into a big extended finger when I say mine and in my own name officer!

With the Mac you are looking at a car that will change hands for nigh on £1,000,000 so £20,000 (2%) isn't really that much. Also this guy obviously can afford a Mac in the first place and with the three time yearly service cost at £22,400 per service the insurance is probably half a days pay for him!
The guy owns a bank in Singapore, so has probably made £20k in the time it has taken me to type this message!!!!!
Old 09 February 2006, 04:13 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Still waiting on a ride out in your motors rob

The offer of the golf lesson still stands
Old 10 February 2006, 04:15 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest that buying the stamp would be better value than insurance at £4K, as presumably it would be an appreciating asset, which car insurance certainly is not....!!!!

What a waste of money, but then if you have money to burn enjoy while you can.
Old 10 February 2006, 04:50 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Sounds a lot to pay each year, but then consider how much money people loose in depreciation on a brand new car in a year, and it is probably a similar amount.
Old 10 February 2006, 05:15 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

As already mentioned is not that I have money to burn, it's more that I choose to spend my money on things like insurance which enable me to follow my hobby, which happens to be cars.

Yeh a stamp or a painting would be a better 'asset' but that is only derived from the value the owner perceives it to hold for them. For example If I had £100k spare I would buy a Lamborghini Diablo, insure it and then mod it up a bit - Koenigg exhaust etc etc etc. I wouldn't for a second consider putting the money into property or other assets. That isn't because I can't see that it is the wiser choice, it's more to do with the fact I don't care and a car would give me 10000 times more enjoyment than a house/stamp/painting.

Life would be f in boring if everybody acted like an accountant and did the sensible thing in every situation!

Nobody can pick up on the above comment either because I am an accountant by profession so can slate them
Old 10 February 2006, 05:47 PM
Moley
Sponsor

As already mentioned is not that I have money to burn, it's more that I choose to spend my money on things like insurance which enable me to follow my hobby, which happens to be cars.

Yeh a stamp or a painting would be a better 'asset' but that is only derived from the value the owner perceives it to hold for them. For example If I had £100k spare I would buy a Lamborghini Diablo, insure it and then mod it up a bit - Koenigg exhaust etc etc etc. I wouldn't for a second consider putting the money into property or other assets. That isn't because I can't see that it is the wiser choice, it's more to do with the fact I don't care and a car would give me 10000 times more enjoyment than a house/stamp/painting.

Life would be f in boring if everybody acted like an accountant and did the sensible thing in every situation!

Nobody can pick up on the above comment either because I am an accountant by profession so can slate them
You only live once, enjoy yourself!!! Plenty of chance to save for sensible things when you get older!!!