Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all Insurance companies suck?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2005, 06:51 PM
Scoobug
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Do all Insurance companies suck?

I've got a slightly modified WRX. All mods were fitted by the previous owner. I bought the car from a garage who'd taken it as part exchange. All known mods were reported to the insurance company when I took out the policy with them. So 100% above board.

Recently I was hit from behind by a company car driver - completely his fault. No other cars involved. My car wasn't driveable so was recovered back to a repair centre. I reported the incident to my Insurance Company the same day along with all the info about the company car driver & that he'd claimed 100% liability.

Insurance company sent an assessor out to see the damage on my car (or so I thought). Nope - he went with a checklist of get-out clauses. He found that a 'Dump valve' was fitted to the car & reported it to the insurance company. I'm not a mechanic & wouldn't know what one of those was if I tripped over it. I certainly didn't know it was fitted & therefore hadn't reported it to the insurance company. (not sure why he'd be looking under the bonnet when the damage was at the rear - but hey. What do I know.)

14 telephone calls later & no real answer I finally get a letter through the post. The Insurance Company cancelled my policy with immediate effect due to this mod. Not yet sure about what's happening with the repair. They also told me that cos I made a claim, I will not be getting any refund on the remainder of the policy. Should they also process the claim I'm liable for the excess also.

The attitude of this company was very much - it's my car. I lied to them about what was fitted & it's my fault that I didn't know about this particular mod.

Never made a claim in 20yrs. 1st ever accident & it wasn't my fault.

Oh Happy Christmas.
Old 14 December 2005, 07:27 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

you should complain saying that you were unawair of this and thought it was a standard part.

also you could argue that a dump valve does not increase the performance of a car, in fact in a recent test, it decreased the bhp on a car, I think it was evo mag test I am sure someone will confirm this.

I hope you can get this sorted mate, if not I am gutted for you
Old 14 December 2005, 07:37 PM
Scoobug
Scooby Newbie

tks M8. Already tried that. They refused - said that the NEVER insure a car with a dump valve fitted & I would never have been quoted if they'd know.

They basically said that it was my responsibility as the owner of the vehicle to make sure I was fully aware of everything fitted to it & to make sure this is on the policy document. Why would I search for something I didn't know existed?

What p!##es me off even more is that now I have 2 black marks against my name - 1 for making a claim & 2 for having a policy cancelled/refused. And all this cos I got hit by someone else.

As soon as this is sorted, their name will be plastered all over a few boards. Wouldn't want fellow Scooby owners suffering the same fate with the same company now would I ;-)

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Old 14 December 2005, 11:45 PM
maclean2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobug
tks M8. Already tried that. They refused - said that the NEVER insure a car with a dump valve fitted & I would never have been quoted if they'd know.

They basically said that it was my responsibility as the owner of the vehicle to make sure I was fully aware of everything fitted to it & to make sure this is on the policy document. Why would I search for something I didn't know existed?

What p!##es me off even more is that now I have 2 black marks against my name - 1 for making a claim & 2 for having a policy cancelled/refused. And all this cos I got hit by someone else.

As soon as this is sorted, their name will be plastered all over a few boards. Wouldn't want fellow Scooby owners suffering the same fate with the same company now would I ;-)

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Hi - sorry to hear of your problems over this claim but having seen that the other guy accepts full responsibility your best way to proceed is to claim against the other driver for the full cost of repairs.Invite the other guy's insurance company to send their engineer round to inspect the damage and agree the cost of repairs at the garage/bodyshop where it is now or at another garage of your choice.

Any mods to your car should not be a concern to the other insurance company.It is only your own insurance company who can require these mods to be disclosed at the time you take out the policy.

The other insurance company should be able to give direct authorization for the full cost of repairs once costs are agreed so you won't have to pay for them.If this is the only car you have use of you can claim for "loss of use" ie deprivation of the use of your car at about £70.00 per week from the date of the accident until repairs are complete.

If you have legal expenses cover this is a separate contract from your motor policy so they can probably take the whole matter on board for you but some legal expenses companies are more helpful than others over this sort of situation.

If the car turns out to be a write off or you have any other queries please post again and I will be happy to offer any further help I can.

Hoping to make this a better Christmas for you

Alasdair
Old 15 December 2005, 09:22 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a joke mate.

A dump valve should make no difference at all to a policy, they come with a form of dump valve as standard!!!

Which insurance company was you with?
Old 15 December 2005, 11:35 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

^^^

What he says. Ask to speak with someone higher up the chain & if still no joy take it to the ombusman (sp?). The least you should get is a refund if they do not want to insure you. The only problem is that how many people say that they did not know that a non standard part was fitted. They must hear it all the time but as said, a dump valve does nothing to increase performance, it just makes a studid noise.
Old 15 December 2005, 12:03 PM
delbert
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know modifications need to be decleared at the start of a policy and it does not matter if they do any thing to proformance or cosmetics its a moddification and thats that
sorry to hear about your problem. always have a good inspection and check what works been done on a car before insuring cos as you know neway for them to get out of paying they will a common one of these is saying you keep the car in the garage and one night you leave it on the drive, car gets nicked, not insured

P.s in answer to your question YES

Last edited by delbert; 15 December 2005 at 12:22 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2005, 03:28 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

tks M8. Already tried that. They refused - said that the NEVER insure a car with a dump valve fitted.
That is a crock of **** because all turbo charged cars leave the factory with a dump valve fitted!!!
Old 15 December 2005, 06:59 PM
Scoobug
Scooby Newbie

Update on the story.. & just to make matters worse. As they've cancelled the policy, I need to get insurance from somewhere else. Spoke with the same company today. On their records they say that I've got 8yrs No claims, but they only recognise 5yrs max.

Because I've made a claim - irrespective of the fact it is a non-fault claim, I immediately lose 2yrs No Claims. They are only prepared to give me proof of 3yrs No Claims. I get the other 2yrs back ONLY when they get payment in full from the 3rd party - which could take months.

In the meantime I can only get Insurance based on 3yrs No Claims, which is likely to cost a fortune.

Hey Moley - already spoken to you on the phone about this.
Old 15 December 2005, 07:22 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 15 December 2005, 09:19 PM
Reckless
Scooby Regular

Default that is total bull **** i worked 4 an isnsurance company 4 5 yrs ( the aa )

Update on the story.. & just to make matters worse. As they've cancelled the policy, I need to get insurance from somewhere else. Spoke with the same company today. On their records they say that I've got 8yrs No claims, but they only recognise 5yrs max.

Because I've made a claim - irrespective of the fact it is a non-fault claim, I immediately lose 2yrs No Claims. They are only prepared to give me proof of 3yrs No Claims. I get the other 2yrs back ONLY when they get payment in full from the 3rd party - which could take months.

In the meantime I can only get Insurance based on 3yrs No Claims, which is likely to cost a fortune.

pffff every insurace company tries that trick with the no claims bonus (i take it u didnt have protected no claims) if there not dealing with ur claim which they said there not they should still give u ur full ncb cos theoretically its like u have never had a claim then u cancelling ur policy . the other persons insurance will deal with the repair of his car as he wouldnt be able to do a counter claim as ur insurance has been stopped . Most insurers do have a limit of what ncb they will accept but what they should do is send u a dictated letter advising u of how many yrs u came to them with but obviously u will have to fight ur corner very well cos they will try and bull**** u into believeing any thing they tell u !!!! always try and speak to a manager or supervisor get there name then u do have a point of reference . after all this i hope u get sorted cos it dose **** u right off try brent acre insurance for a modified car policy which normally work out cheaper than a normal policy heres the number 01792650933
ps ru getting a refund for tehm canx ur pol