Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance clause - what does this mean!

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2005, 07:11 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance clause - what does this mean!

Have insurance on the wife now with NU Direct. I got a very low quote by whacking in a large excess

Just got 'my' car insured with A Plan - they say that they'll match the NU quote and give me a far, far lower excess on my wifes. Only thing I have to do is cancel the NU insurance

Looked at the cancellation policy - right at the back of their booklet and they quote

' if you have not made a claim during the period of insurance, we will refund the premium you have paid for the cancelled period of the insurance - except in the following circumstances
(good so far - BUT)
If the policy is in the first year of insurance, our short period rates will apply'

Its the first year, but this is my wifes 12th year or so of Insurance- does this mean that I'll be stung if I cancel - had the policy for about 3 months I think. I have never seen a clause like this before - and you only get to see once you've taken it out (although I guess that all insurance is covered by a 14 day cool off period)
Old 07 September 2005, 08:12 PM
maclean2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
Have insurance on the wife now with NU Direct. I got a very low quote by whacking in a large excess

Just got 'my' car insured with A Plan - they say that they'll match the NU quote and give me a far, far lower excess on my wifes. Only thing I have to do is cancel the NU insurance

Looked at the cancellation policy - right at the back of their booklet and they quote

' if you have not made a claim during the period of insurance, we will refund the premium you have paid for the cancelled period of the insurance - except in the following circumstances
(good so far - BUT)
If the policy is in the first year of insurance, our short period rates will apply'

Its the first year, but this is my wifes 12th year or so of Insurance- does this mean that I'll be stung if I cancel - had the policy for about 3 months I think. I have never seen a clause like this before - and you only get to see once you've taken it out (although I guess that all insurance is covered by a 14 day cool off period)
I'm afraid this is quite normal in the 1st year of a new policy and you may well have to pay another 3 months premium to cancel it now.
Old 07 September 2005, 08:30 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Hmm thats what I thought!
Oh well A Plan will have to wait another 9 months.........
Old 07 September 2005, 11:47 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

most insurance companies quote the 'short period' cancellation rate which is naughty. there is a way to get around this and get 'pro-rata' cancellation.

you have to make your risk unnacceptable to n-u direct by doing 1 of a couple of possible ways. call them up and say i'm looking to add a young driver under 25, i want an any driver policy or the most frequently used way to do this is to request cover for mods on your vehicle. the only mod n-union do not cover is nitrous oxide. so call them up and say 'i'm adding a fifty shot of nitrous, how does my policy stand?'

try that
Old 07 September 2005, 11:49 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

p.s actually n-u direct do not do any mods whatsoever, n-union (not direct) do some mods, the way you can tell if you have a n-u direct policy is if your policy number starts PMV i think. so any mod would make it an immediate cancellation on pro-rata cancellation rates
Old 08 September 2005, 02:12 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Excellent idea - will try it
Old 08 September 2005, 02:45 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

or just tell the nice people at A plan the trouble you have ans see if they will "do a deal"