Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand UK insurance (WRX/Sti)

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2005, 11:30 AM
math2014
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me understand UK insurance (WRX/Sti)

Hi all,

I am a new member (great site&forum) and i am happy to have found you all.

I am living in the UK for 3 yrs (no car ) . I am looking to get a car eventually, and have my scopes on a few models, amongst them , the Impreza WRX and the Sti Type UK.

I notice that the WRX is gr20, and the Sti is gr20D. I got no clues as of how this relates to a ballpark figure of pounds per year. I am 29yrs old, 10 yrs european licence (i am from Greece), no accidents, no tickets ever.

Since i am trying to decide between a WRX, an Sti, an Audi A3 TFSI and a Vauxhall Astra VXR, i would be VERY greatfull if you could give me some ballpark figures for insurance costs per year for the above models, since gr20, gr20D, gr15E, and gr17 respectively tell me nothing since i am not British.

Thanks in advance for the replies and again congrats for the great forum.

Yannis
Old 26 August 2005, 03:00 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, and fear not it's not that complicated!

Fiat Panda = group 1 (cheap)
Subaru Impreza STI = group 20 (expensive)

Groups can be different between insurers, so if you see a commonly quoted insurance group in for example "What Car" magazine, it is generally an average and dont let it put you off. For example I was really surprised to to speak to an insurer a few months back whoi said the WRX was group 17 but still offered me a higher quote than another insurer who said it was group 20.

All these numbers give you is a benchmark. In reality, most people on here report not much higher premiums for the STI than for the WRX.

I don't know how they treat european drivers, but I;m sure they will discriminate in one way or another so what we have experienced may not be the same in your case. I would assume that as you have no recognisable insurance history, you will be stung at least £2000 for insurance on any of them.

In my experience, I am 26, full no claims bonus and the WRX + PPP costs £700ish, STI probably about the same maybe a touch more. Thus I would expect the Astra would cost less, and the Audi less again.

Originally Posted by math2014
Hi all,

I am a new member (great site&forum) and i am happy to have found you all.

I am living in the UK for 3 yrs (no car ) . I am looking to get a car eventually, and have my scopes on a few models, amongst them , the Impreza WRX and the Sti Type UK.

I notice that the WRX is gr20, and the Sti is gr20D. I got no clues as of how this relates to a ballpark figure of pounds per year. I am 29yrs old, 10 yrs european licence (i am from Greece), no accidents, no tickets ever.

Since i am trying to decide between a WRX, an Sti, an Audi A3 TFSI and a Vauxhall Astra VXR, i would be VERY greatfull if you could give me some ballpark figures for insurance costs per year for the above models, since gr20, gr20D, gr15E, and gr17 respectively tell me nothing since i am not British.

Thanks in advance for the replies and again congrats for the great forum.

Yannis