Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Settle an argument at work!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2005, 12:07 PM
classicwagon2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settle an argument at work!!

Discussion at the moment. Everyone else reckons that a 3rd party policy will not cover you to drive other cars. I am saying that although everyone seems to think that for some reason. That is not the case. Having worked for an insurance company in the past and also having hadseveral 3rd party policies I have always had cover. The only restriction being under 25s who will not get other cars cover under either 3rd party or FC. Anyone else help me shatter this common myth.
Old 17 August 2005, 03:44 PM
delbert
Scooby Regular

Cool

think it depends on the insurer but with my 3rd party fire and thieft im covered to drive third party vehicles but there is no cover for loss or damage.
hope this helps ya.
Old 17 August 2005, 07:53 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Er totally depends on your insurer and what your policy says.

I'm sure if I went to my broker and asked to be insured to ride other peoples elephants they could do it for a price

Whether or not most mainstream insurers will do this is another matter, but with insurance you can find anyone to give you anything, at a price.
Old 18 August 2005, 09:11 AM
classicwagon2
Scooby Regular

I spent last night looking at my old certificates and the last 4 are all 3rd party and all state that they cover driving other cars. Looks like I may have proved my point. Everyone presumes you need fully comp to have that cover
Old 18 August 2005, 11:52 AM
Mikkk
Scooby Regular

From personal experience I've only been covered to drive other vehicles 3rd party when my policy has been fully comprehensive. However, as has been stated above, insurers and the policies they offer differ in many ways. If it's not included I'm sure that most would add it on ... the question then becomes: How much?
Old 18 August 2005, 01:30 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i work for a brokers i can clairfy that you CAN get d-o-c on a tpft policy if the insurer offers it, you may NOT get it if insurer doesn't offer it, so don't assume always ask
Old 24 August 2005, 09:46 PM
missie
Scooby Newbie

Default TP cover

Like youo too I have previously worked in insurance - for 5 years, whether or not you can drive other cars third party only depends on the insurance company it self, I had this cover when I was 23 and with a TPF & T policy, but not at 25 with a comp policy. it all depends on who insures you and their rules. Best way to be sure is to check your insurance certificate - If you are allowed to it will be on there!!!
Hope this has helped.

Originally Posted by classicwagon2
Discussion at the moment. Everyone else reckons that a 3rd party policy will not cover you to drive other cars. I am saying that although everyone seems to think that for some reason. That is not the case. Having worked for an insurance company in the past and also having hadseveral 3rd party policies I have always had cover. The only restriction being under 25s who will not get other cars cover under either 3rd party or FC. Anyone else help me shatter this common myth.

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2005, 11:32 AM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Do you have to declare to them that your driving a 3rd partys car?
Old 25 August 2005, 02:23 PM
classicwagon2
Scooby Regular

I have always been told by ins. co that it is really only for very occasional or emergency use. I would imagine that they would recommend you be named on the other policy. Subsequent to this discussion everyone in the office has been scurrying around looking at their certificates and everyone over 25 has d.o.c. cover, whether 3rd party or fully comp. A few people will be changing to 3rd party cover at renewal as they only took fully comp to get d.o.c s