Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quentin Wilson on Grey Imports This Week

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2001, 05:35 PM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

did anyone watch the paranoia program presented my Quentin Wilson this week? I am shaking in my boots now worrying that my car isn't my car at all.... NOT! You wouldn't catch me paying the price of a decent holiday over the odds just so that Mr. Top Gear can pocket the finance. No siree
Old 30 July 2001, 09:54 PM
anthony huggett
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by foxyange:
<B>did anyone watch the paranoia program presented my Quentin Wilson this week? I am shaking in my boots now worrying that my car isn't my car at all.... NOT! You wouldn't catch me paying the price of a decent holiday over the odds just so that Mr. Top Gear can pocket the finance. No siree[/quote]yes tell me how do you check if your grey import is on the hot list as stolen as according to the tv the police can stop you and do some form of check if your car is on there list it is impounded where can i check my cars details any help required thanks ant

Old 31 July 2001, 08:21 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi, got this info off the watchdog website:

WHICH JAPANESE GREYS ARE LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN STOLEN?
The list below represents the cars that are most likely to have been stolen:
Toyota Land Cruiser (especially VX, diesel, seven-seaters and long wheel base versions)
Toyota Prado
Nissan Skyline GTR
Honda NSX
Honda Prelude (small numbers involved)
Mitsubishi Evolution V and VI
Mitsubishi Pajero (often badged as Shogun)
Mitsubishi 3000 GTO
Toyota Harrier (often badged at Lexus RX300)
Toyota Aristo (often badged as Lexus GS300)
Toyota Celsior (often badged as Lexus LS400)
Toyota Supra (small numbers involved)
Subaru WRX (small numbers involved) *NOTE*

WILL THE POLICE SEIZE MY CAR?

Because there are 43 different police forces in the UK, as yet there is no definitive and consistent strategy on stolen grey import seizures.

Hampshire Constabulary and the Metropolitan Police have already seized approximately 1,000 cars and some have been auctioned off and the money sent back to the original owners.

But given the large numbers of cars involved, the police may not decide to seize and impound stolen greys at all, but issue instead a PACE Notice (Police And Criminal Evidence Act 1984), which allows the police to inspect your vehicle, after which it will be returned to you with a written statement that there may be issues over its true identity and that you may not have legal title.

The police are unlikely to seize your car and put it through an auction unless they've been able to clearly establish its real identity and trace the original owner or insurance company in Japan.

Can Anybody Else Seize My Car?

The only other person who may want to seize your car is a loss adjuster working for a Japanese insurance company. The major Japanese insurance companies now have agents based in the UK contracted to seize and sell cars for which they can prove legal title.

However you should only surrender your car to a loss adjuster when you are absolutely sure they are bona fide. Do not allow any loss adjuster to take possession of your car without talking to your solicitor first, even though the loss adjuster provides appropriate documentation. Only your solicitor will be able to establish if the loss adjuster has a legal right to seize your car.

Hope this help's.

Don't worry too much i'm sure it's all hype!
Old 31 July 2001, 08:27 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Cool

[/QUOTE]where can i check my cars details any help required thanks ant

[/B][/QUOTE]

Go to any subaru dealer, hand over 25 and they will check it out for you and send you and the police a report( Police not to good if it does turn out to be stolen ).

That's if you want to give your dealer money, i won't because last time i phoned them they put the phone down after a lecture on how them import's are putting dealer's out of business!