Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly counts as "no claims"?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2001, 07:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been driving company car for 18 years now, but as i am due to be made redundant, i need to buy my own car - with my own insurance.

I have ZERO points, and have had no accidents in over ten years.

I asked Zurich insurance for a claims history letter (for the last five years) to back up my situation.

To my <B>horror</B> there are three claims. The first was a replacement windscreen (and flagged "no to blame"), the second was "other" and again, "not to blame", and the third, which is still pending, is another windscreen replacement.

Will these "claims" affect any future "private" policies?

I am just a bit miffed that my company, or rather the lease company, made three claims on my behalf, without my knowledge, and that i might suffer because of this.

Any thoughts or advise?

mb
Old 10 August 2001, 10:31 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

Boomer,
The windscreen claims should make no difference at all.
The 'other' claim is a little bit awkward, as even though it is classed as non fault, I would expect an insurance company would want to know the details. Who else was involved, what happened etc.

If you cannot provide these details, they may be a little bit suspicious.

If it can be proven to be a genuine non fault claim, then providing you are insuring a normal type car, (not group 20) then you should be ok, and recieve full no claims discount.

Perhaps I am a touch cynical, but I would find it hard to believe that all insurance companies completely ignore all non fault claims.

If you were very unlucky, and had lets say 4 £20,000 cars written off by passing traffic outside your house in 12 months, all non fault, and all paid for by the other persons insurance.
Then you want to park your new £20,000 car outside, I would imagine quite a few companies would not entertain you.

Its always much nicer to be able to say,
NO CLAIMS EVER,
NO POINTS EVER,
graged, alarmed etc.

Sorry to hear about the job mate.
I trust the Subarus going then?

Remember what you said to me, 'life can be a bit of a bind at times, but it sure beats the alternative'. :

I try to think of that when I am feeling down.

Cheers MTR
Old 11 August 2001, 02:47 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Boomer

A letter from your previous employer confirming your driving record should be fine for a new insurer.

The letter should be along the lines of:

We can confirm Mr_____________ has had the use of a company vehicle for business and pleasure use for _______ years. During this period there have been NO claims that would prejudice no claims bonus.

Hope this helps

InsBro
Old 11 August 2001, 03:45 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

MTR,

i asked Zurich (who are/were the insurance company covering my company car) about the "other" claim, and they had no details. I could be something like a cracked headlamp glass that was put onto the insurance, but it certainly wasn't a crash, bump, accident or whatever on my part. Dunno how i prove this though

The DBM scooby has to go back to Mr & Mrs Lease Plan, but fear not, insurance permitting, i'll be back in a similar, more modern version!!!!

InsBro,

i already _have_ the letter, but it mentions the three claims - not crashes or anything that i can be blamed for, but nevertheless, claims. Obviously if it was my car, and the excess was more than the, for example, GBP162 for an MGF windscreen, then i would never have claimed in the first place.

When i get around to phoning a few insurance companies, i'll let you know how things go.

mb
Old 14 August 2001, 10:24 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I had a car stolen once and reported it to the insurance company, who informed me I had to wait 6 weeks before they would pay out. It was recovered in 'reasonable' nick a few days later, and fixed at my expense (no claim made). Then there was a strange sequence of events that involved the broker going bust, etc. I think it was the next year when I was querying the NCB with the insurance company (they thought I had 1 year and I thought I had 3), and they had it on their records as a total loss claim!
Old 14 August 2001, 06:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Well i have managed to find out what the "other" claim was. My last (company) car was an MGF, that i handed back at the end of January 2000. Over three months later, Lease Plan wrote to me to say that the car was damaged on return, and that my insurance would be hit by GBP161.

I immediately wrote back to say that my car was NOT damaged on return, that the signed form showed no such damage, that i had a witness to this fact, and that i even had photographs (which i did 'cos i am a nostalgic old get!).

Lease Plan backed down, said it was a "mistake", said that they had improved their "procedures", and would not be making the claim.

However, it seems that they bloody well did after all.

I am now chasing this up with Lease Plan and Zurich, so hopefully two windscreen claims should be acceptable over the last five years.

mb
Old 18 August 2001, 05:51 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Smile

Just to say - sorted!!

Erroneous claim removed, so just two windscreens in five years.

Phew,

mb