Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for Rum

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2000, 06:50 AM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1)I bought my UK MY96 second hand and the original owner had 16" Speedline Turismo alloys fitted as a dealer option when he obtained the car from new. Is this classed as a modification by Insurance Companies and do I need to declare this?

2)The previous owner had also replaced the original back box, when it rotted, with a mild steel Sebring back box as it was much cheaper than the standard Subaru item, Sounds nicer, but as far as I am aware it does not increase performance. Again is this a modification. If so then should owners of 'ordinary cars' who fit Kwik-Fit, ATS, Halfords exhausts declare it as a deviation from standard to their Insurers.

3) How does one stand if, in the event of a claim, the loss inspector discovers a modification that the previous owner(s) had done, but that the new owner did not know about and had therefore not declared as a modification. Would the claim be refused and cover invalidated?

I suppose it is all down to definition of what is considered to be a modification.

I would appreciate your advice as renewal time is looming
Old 29 November 2000, 08:31 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

stratman,

Some interesting points - and as you said really down to definition.

1. I would suggest that with regard to the 16" Speedline Turismo alloys you advise the insurers. Although they are a dealer option, their installation could be argued as making the car more theft attractive. There is also an added cost for the wheels. IMHO it is always best to advise the insurers of any known modifications at policy inception - and certainly add them to the proposal form.

2. As with above again - advise the company. Detail that the exhaust is not a performance enhancing extra and that it was fitted by the previous owner. Advise them of the cost and stress that it is cheaper to replace than the standard Scooby exhaust. Wherever possible retain invoices/receipts and forward copies of these to the insurer. In most cases it is a lack of understanding on the underwriters side that works against you and I. i.e. the more you can explain to them and prove etc...the better understanding they have. Afterall the person you are dealing with could be a 16 year old girl/boy, with no car and more to the point no interest in cars... ...I rest my case.

3. I suppose the only real way to get round this is to have the car fully checked by either a Subaru Dealer or similar qualified motor mechanic (who services Scoobs on a regular basis). Unfortunately this is definately down to definition in the policy wording - again IMHO the best thing to do is is advise the insurer of all known modifications - any other modifications that you are unaware of could then be discussed at the time of a claim. It would then be likely that the insurer would pay out based on the standard model parts in respect of those items they were not aware of - however BEWARE - the likes of Engine Management and other performance enhancing modifications have to be advised - but I suppose that these are mentioned to you as and when you buy a vehicle....as a selling point.

Sorry to have sort of skirted round the questions a bit - but as you have mentioned, it is always best to advise of any modification...at least that way you have peace of mind that the insurers know exactly what they are insuring...

Any queries give me a ring and I'll happily discuss further.

Tom