Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRIVILEDGE INSURANCE - AMAZING QUOTE!

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2005, 08:48 PM
PhilSti05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool PRIVILEDGE INSURANCE - AMAZING QUOTE!

Just insured my new 2005 Impreza Wrx Sti ppp with Priviledge for £950 fully comp!(29yrs, 4 ync, 5 points, garaged).I've phoned exactly 23 insurance companys today. Most of them said they wouldn't insure this car as is it group 20 and too high a risk, while others quoted anything between £2150 - £4210 !! Tescos had the 2nd best best quote with £1220, but absolutly nobody could match Priviledge's quote of £950!!!! Double checked the details with them.DEFINATELY WOULD RECOMMEND CALLING PRIVILEDGE ON 0845 246 8553

Last edited by PhilSti05; 20 May 2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 20 May 2005, 09:46 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

PhilSTi05,
Yes you are right that is amazing.

So much so that I would doubt they have got the fact it has been MODIFIED in the quote.

When they asked you 'Has the car been modified?' did you say yes?
If you didn't you are not insured.

I am 46, have 26 years no claims, No convictions, no accidents, car garaged at night and they wanted £1600 for my MY02 STi Prodrive Style with PPP, value about £18000, ie £10000 less than yours.
Withou the PPP it would be about half that amount.

Other peple have also been insured via Privilege and they had their MY04 car listed as PRODRIVE STYLE, which is 265ps and ONLY available on MY02 year model.

Their web site lists the STi Prodrive, but that is my car WITHOUT the PPP.

Sorry if I sound a little bit doubtful, but I have faced this situation since 1999 on my last modified Impreza and since 2002 on my STi, hence my long winded letters to Subaru.

If you have told them it has an modified exhaust, fuel pump, and ECU and the power has increased to 300BHP approx + 15% over the standard car, and the quote still stands, you have just got a result.
If the advisor has said 'oh yes Prodrive, I've found it', you haven't.

Cheers
MTR
Old 20 May 2005, 11:14 PM
PhilSti05
Scooby Regular

MTR, Priviledge has emailed me my quotation, ' Make and model of car - Subaru Inpreza 2.0T Prodrive 2005 WRX STI UK'. I'll phone them again tomorrow to make sure they understand its the engine that has had the mods and not the body kit as in the 2002 Prodrive bodykit upgrade. Many thanks.
Old 21 May 2005, 12:16 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Phil, have you tried A-Plan at all ?
Just got my new WRX (standard model) insured with them for £600 fully comp, with no tracker needed. Just a thought................

(I am an old git though, 41)
Old 21 May 2005, 12:48 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Get it in writing via mail before going for it if I was you. I nearly paid up to LV for a JDM WRX STi, upon delivery of the car they refused to insure it! That's despite being previously quoted on it!
Old 21 May 2005, 10:06 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PhilSti05
MTR, Priviledge has emailed me my quotation, ' Make and model of car - Subaru Inpreza 2.0T Prodrive 2005 WRX STI UK'.
Phil,
As you are obviously aware the STi Prodrive Style is only avaialable on the MY02 'bugeye' version.

When I went on the Privilege web site my registration brings my car up as a WRX not a STi.
I have owned it from new, and it is classified as a Impreza WRX-STi Prodrive on the registration certificate.

I had to select the STi Prodrive model from the drop down menu, although it doesn't say ProdriveStyle only Prodrive.

Whe i then phoned them to get a proper quote with the PPP kit included, the girl didn't ask me if it was modified.
She started to say 'the quote will be' when I stopped her and said my car is modified you didn't ask.

Then after I explained what the PPP kit was, she wanted to know how much the power increased for each part of the modification eg exhaust + BHP, ECU + BHP. I had to explain that th emods were all done as one package by the dealer and gave + 15% BHP.

The quote was £1600.
She said it was nearly double what she was going to tell me before I stopped her.
Good grief, +15% power = + 100% premium.

NON of the PPP specced cars old shape or new shape, with the exception of the WR1 and hopefully the WRX300, have been registered as specific models with the ABI.

Like SPEN555 says, be extremly careful, or you could end up committing to buy a car which you cannot insure at all.
The dealer won't be arsed so long as you supply a insurance certificate so they can register it, then if you find out you are not covered it will be your problem.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 21 May 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 21 May 2005, 12:32 PM
PhilSti05
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just been chatting to Priviledge trying to sort this mess out! Anyway, I was on the phone for a good 20 mins, told the guy that the Prodrive pack gave the basic car 40 extra bhp and what work it basically involved.

He asked me if Subaru fitted the pack when the car was supplied to me when new, I said yes, however it is classed as an after market modification. He spoke to an underwriter for a good 5 - 10 mins, came back to me and said, 'If Subaru fitted and supplied the car to me as a Prodrive model with the extra bhp, then it isn't classed as an after market modification. However, if Subaru supplied the car to me WITHOUT the ppp fitted and then I went back to them or anyone else at a later date to get this pack fitted, THEN it is classed as an after market modification.'

He has given me his name, sign on details, and said this call is recorded for security reasons and for future reference. So my quote of £950 fully comp. is still valid. (bloody well hope so anyway) After all, I can't give them anymore infomation than I have done. The guy again reminded me that this calls recorded so If I ever put a claim in and theres a problem, all I need to do is refer them to this phone call.

Last edited by PhilSti05; 21 May 2005 at 12:39 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2005, 01:10 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

'If Subaru fitted and supplied the car to me as a Prodrive model with the extra bhp, then it isn't classed as an after market modification.
Phil,
Subaru haven't supplied you with a 'STi Prodrive' model Impreza.

He asked me if Subaru fitted the pack when the car was supplied to me when new, I said yes
Subaru haven't fitted it, the dealer does it after registration.

They have supplied you with a STi05 which has to be registered in your name, effectively making it a secondhand car, THEN the PPP kit can legally be fitted. (legally re emissions noise etc).
Even though the PPP kit was fitted before delivery.

And even then it is not called a STi Prodrive, that is only one 2002 model year vehicle of which 1000 were made, 500 black ones and 500 blue ones. All bugeyes.

I appreciate what he has said, and given you his details etc, but it is your £28,400 value vehicle which could be a total loss payout, not his.

If you accept the policy on a STi Prodrive you are, in the eyes of the law, making a false declaration.

Your log book from Swansea DOES NOT STATE STI Prodrive, it will say WRX STi.
Mine DOES say WRX STi Prodrive, but even that is 265PS, and I had to declare the PPP modification.

THE STI PRODRIVE DOES NOT HAVE 300BHP IT HAS 265PS.

You really need to speak to them again, the advisor has completely misunderstood what the STI Prodrive is.
IT IS NOT THE CAR YOU HAVE.

Sorry if you don't like the message, but it is the truth.
Ignorance is no defense.

If your car is totalled, can you afford not to be paid out.

Your documentation will not match the car you are driving.
A lawyer acting on behalf of the insurance could rip you to pieces.

I realise it suits you financially to believe what an ill advised and misunderstanding advisor has told you, but he is most definately, irrefutabley, catagorically bloody well wrong.

Read Peter Kinnaird, Subarus managing directors letter to me on here, or Sam Burtons letter, they run Subaru UK.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 21 May 2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 21 May 2005, 04:07 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

I think that MTR is absolutely correct - you are not currently covered for your car because it is not correctly insured. But don't worry, I managed to get a quote of £895 for my Type25 (Japanese import STi, engine transplant to 2500cc giving 350bhp, suspension and exhaust upgrade) from A-Plan. They recoginsed the model immediately and really seem to know what they are talking about. BTW - I'm 38, 6 points, 5 years NCB and the car's not garaged although it is fitted with CAT1 and Tracker.
Old 21 May 2005, 06:37 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Default If it don't look like this it aint an STI Prodrive

An STi Prodrive, which has 265PS as std, looks like this.

Anything else is NOT an STi Prodrive.
And even when it does match the above, PPP is still a modification over the std car.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 21 May 2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 22 May 2005, 02:19 AM
PhilSti05
Scooby Regular

Will ring them back again on Monday and try to get my point across yet again. Also rang A-plan today, they are ringing back on Monday with a quote. Never had so much p1ssing about just trying to get a car insured!!!! Will let you know the final out come if this ***** up is ever resolved.
Old 22 May 2005, 12:18 PM
scooby24
Scooby Regular

I think your recorded conversation with privilege would be enough to cover you in the event of a claim being rejected because of mod's etc.
You have explaned fully the details of the mod's and the insurance agent has quoted on this,
The car (with options) is deliverd to you from a subaru dealer without any mod's being fitted after (aftermarket). i'm sure you've done enough to convince any magistrate or insurance ombudsman that you havent tried to hide or receive insurance deceitfully by not disclosing information.
I'd say you'd be ok with privilege's policy , if you hassle them about the quote too much they may just wack it up.
Old 23 May 2005, 11:16 PM
PhilSti05
Scooby Regular

Finally got this insurance sorted today, not by A-Plan though, they couldn't quote me for anyless than £2000. I'm staying with Priviledge for £950. They are sending me a quotation letter stating that i've told them about the 2 modifications that have been done to the car ie, 19" wheels and the Prodrive performance pack which also must include the words, which provides an additional 40bhp over the standard Sti type uk. . Can't ask for any more than that.
Old 24 May 2005, 07:51 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

PhilSTi05,
Buy a lottery ticket this week, you are on a role.

That is a result.

If they give you the letter you request then you are completely exonerated in the event of a claim.
And something written down is much easier to show than a telephone call.

Cheers
MTR
Old 24 May 2005, 12:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The main thing abut insurance companies, is there not consistant. I've just bought a 2005 sti uk + ppp, am 31, 11 years no claims, 3 points, and car kept in secure residental car park. Privilege wanted £1741 (most expensive quote).
Am now with Keith Micheals £1170.
Still the most I've ever paid for insurance though

STIlover
Old 24 May 2005, 01:39 PM
RANDY
Scooby Regular

i'm going to don my Insurance Underwriter hat. i no longer work in the motor market but did so for years. I am know a commercial package writer but none the less i have spent the last year and a half getting approved by the FSA as all insurers have to. The FSA is the regulation of the government as they reckon we could not self regulate, so they are taking over to protect the customer. It is the responsibility of the company to train thier staff correctly and not for the customer to have to be an expert in what they are insuring. If you tell the company that it has a dealer fitted PPP from new and they don't know what that is, then they are a fault if they don't check it out.... All calls get recorded. insurance companies don't want to have complaints from the ombudsman, the investigation costs them money and it will most likley hi-light an FSA rule not being met. i have lots of PI claims in the pipe line for errors and ommisions, my excess for such a claim is around £20k, so insurance companiesare now encouraged to pay the claims. There was a big problem with the old XR3i and XR2. They came standard with steel rims and no sunroof...... not many of them about in that state, most were modified by the dealers to help seel them. Insurers tried to not pay claims for those as they had been mod'd but eventually because the dealer did it comon place, the customer was not at fault for non disclosure. And so i find myself picking up my01 wrx PPP on thursday and have had a quote from Priviledge for £540 without disclosing the mod. do i disclose or not. The original sale of purchase that came with the car from new shows the PPP included in the options and seeing as they dont have a clause saying "all claims are excluded in the event that you are a F**king idiot" as far as i'm concerned its a standard dealership Scoob. If you bought the car and knew nothing about them what so ever, especially second hand, then looked currently on Subaru uk web site, it would seem like a standard thing at the moment. I'm looking from the side of the company at the moment and if there is any doubt what so ever from the company, they will pay it, thyey have too...... FSA protects the client from the company..... i get screwed all the time, time for me to do some screwing.
Old 24 May 2005, 02:02 PM
Mikkk
Scooby Regular

Question

I am currently insured with privelege (MY03 STi Type UK) for the tidy sum of £950 fully comp. I rang this morning questioning what impact the various performance increases available (i.e. PPP and TSL 333) would cost me to have slapped/stuck/tacked onto the little lady.

~£140 extra for PPP (+40bhp) ~15% bhp increase
~£230 extra for TSL 333 (+65bhp) ~ 25% bhp increase

Now before the champagne starts to flow those increases are for the remaining 6 months of my policy, I was advised (as you'd expect) that when renewal time came the additional premium would probably double.

Still, food for thought 'n all...

FYI: I'm 29, 7yrs NCB, garaged, 12k per year, £600 excess, protected NCB, no tracker required (though of course STi has one as standard)

Last edited by Mikkk; 24 May 2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:05 PM
PhilSti05
Scooby Regular

This just gets better!!! Went on to Priviledges website and got an online quote. It came out at £200 cheaper for exactly the same person and car!!!! Rang Priviledge this morning, they have reduced my quotation to £750. I confirmed again with an underwriter about the PPP, 'yes' he said, 'your covered for the ppp and the 19" wheels and your new quote is down to £750'!!! How wierd is that?? They send me a renewal for £950, and yet you can go onto their website, type in exactly the same infomation and get a quote for £200 less from the same bloody company... Thats what I call a result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 May 2005, 10:59 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Weird but highly informative and useful thread...........stick it firmly in yer favourites now folks !

It might be an idea for Phil to edit the thread title for future searches i.e it should read "privilege" - I'm not trying to be an **** here, quite the opposite !

Good work fellas !
Old 25 May 2005, 11:30 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I'm insured with priviledge. 33, 6 years ncb, no points, £800. That's for an STI8 with PPP and mods.

I have no qualms over whether I am insured or not as they have already paid out a claim on my car for several thousand pounds when I slid off the motorway backwards into a ditch in the snow in January.

Thank god for protected no claims
Old 26 May 2005, 01:32 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby24
I think your recorded conversation with privilege would be enough to cover you in the event of a claim being rejected because of mod's etc.
From what I understand, this is not correct. If in the case you made a claim, and you all had issues, you referrinf them to the telephone conversation (which could and often are deleted, lost etc) is not sufficient. That's why they have it in writing and you have to sign one copy and send it back - this is all that will hold up in a court. If it says it incorrectly on the paperwork, regardless of whether they or you failed to see it, it's your fault, not the insurance company. They seem to work on the basis that you know your car better than they do, so you should notice if it's the wrong car. You take your chances.....