Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prodrive backbox

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 05:56 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prodrive backbox

Im looking at a pre-reg wrx on the net. From the pictures it definatly has a prodrive back box. It does not however say in the description. If i were to buy this car and did not know my stuff and thought the exhaust was standard, would my insurance be void if i had declared the car as having no modifications? For example my girlfriend just got a new back box on her ford KA because it was goosed and we didnt think to tell the insurance company that it was not an official ford KA back box.
Old 14 May 2005, 09:23 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

In a word Yes
Old 15 May 2005, 12:46 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
In a word Yes
Yup, ignorance is not an option I'm afraid.

With this said though, I personally think there's a huge grey area when it comes to motor insurance and "non-standard" parts and forcing policy owners to know every little detail about their car as if they built it themselves -- it's a farce!

I've just replaced the back box on my Classic with a H&S version. If I'd taken it to Kwik-Fit and asked them to replace it, technically that's still a non-standard part so the insurance company's expectations should still apply... not that it would which is what makes it all such b*llocks.

Even doing your best to understand and comply doesn't work -- "Hmmm, I've just bought a Scooby... it has clear lenses and a throaty exhaust... well, loads of them do so must have been factory options at the beginning, as opposed to aftermarket upgrades." Wrong!

And to just add insult to injury, when you DO declare modifications the companies will only fork out the money for standard parts... which are typically more expensive anyway!

Rant over, and don't mean to hijack your thread. Going back to your post, I see where you're coming from but I'm afraid it just doesn't work that way, or at least it WILL until you get into a sticky situation when the World will crumble around you.

Jonts.
Old 15 May 2005, 09:35 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Insurance companys are taking the pi55,if you put something onto your car that is going to increase its risk i.e, chip,de-cat etc then i think its only fair to tell them but to have to tell them for every cosmetic mod, wheels,spoiler,back box etc.these are mainly cosmetic changes and as such shoudn,t incur any more cost to insurance.....i wonder if a go faster stripe would make a difference

powerman
Old 15 May 2005, 10:44 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

i totally agree when it comes to engine mods and chips and full exhausts but i think backboxes should not occur a charge. I would definatly tell them as it aint worth the risk but just wondering if, from you guys experiance, backboxes are taken lightly and if insurance companys dont mind you changing them or dont incur charges
Old 15 May 2005, 11:17 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
...wondering if, from you guys experiance, backboxes are taken lightly and if insurance companys dont mind you changing them or dont incur charges
No doubt it'll depend on the insurance company you're with and their policies and beliefs when it comes to modifications. I'm with Elephant and they took £25 from me last Tuesday because I'd fitted a H&S back box (£3 of which was for document updates and postage, which I couldn't not have.)

Jonts.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:45 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty
No doubt it'll depend on the insurance company you're with and their policies and beliefs when it comes to modifications. I'm with Elephant and they took £25 from me last Tuesday because I'd fitted a H&S back box (£3 of which was for document updates and postage, which I couldn't not have.)

Jonts.
ahha 25 nik thats fine. I havent bought the car but with me being 21 + 3ncb the only people who will quote me so far is swinton and someone off confused.com. Im thinking that if i get the one with the prodrive backbox that even them might not quote me. I have had a lot of companys saying you cannot have mods untill your 28. WTF!!!

i have not tried elephant or A plan but they seem to have a good rep on here. just hope they quote 21y/o with 3ncb