Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent question - are my insurance company trying it on?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2005, 09:57 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Urgent question - are my insurance company trying it on?

Hi everyone,
Have a quick question I hope someone "in the know" can advise me on-

Back at the end of January I was involved in a very minor incident, which although I was the one who ran into the back of another vehicle I'd have issues with accepting liability (I don't need to go into details on this - its not the reason for the question).

Anyway I notified the insurance company, they said OK no need to fill in a form and then sent one a couple of weeks later anyway asking for further info.

Anyway I've now received a letter from them saying that "In the event of a third party claim being received, in certain circumstances, we are required under the Court rules to complete our investigations and either formally admit or deny responsibility within 3 months from the date of acknowledging their claim."

It basically goes on to say that they don't feel they can succesfully deny liability etc and therefore "In order to avoid inconvienience to you and the cost of legal proceedings if a claim is made, we intend to admit liability on your behalf...." etc etc and finally they want me to sign a mandate giving them authorisation to admit liability on my behalf. etc.

Now this is where I have the problem, the important wording from above is the part that says "..if a claim is made.." so therefore what they are saying is that the other party has not made a claim. Note they haven't asked me for my excess either.

So onto my question - is this an attempt to make me admit liability so that it goes on record as my fault and so adversely affects my future insurance dealings? I have to say that if the other party hasn't made a claim after over 3 weeks then I feel vindicated (to an extent) in feeling that I wasn't just to blame.

So am I being paranoid, or is this normal?

Cheers
Nick
Old 01 March 2005, 10:06 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh well, had a call to be told they are making a claim.
Old 02 March 2005, 02:00 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If you ran into the back of someone it is by law that it is your fault! but I know in some reasons that it is not! you will have to tell a bit more why its not your fault.
Old 02 March 2005, 10:56 AM
R*** ANT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if it's not you fault and the damage is the the back of their car and the front of yours, it is considered your fault.

Picture this, woman at a T junction goes to pull out gets out half way and stops due to oncoming traffic. Then decides as the nose of her car is sticking out she will reverse back into the junction. Whilst reversing back into the junction she reverses into the front of your car. May I add you have not moved all you have done is honk your horn and think about reverseing yourself however you have a car behind you.

Happened to me because she did not admit liability, the insurance blamed me!!!

Harsh world!