Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pay-As-You-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2005, 11:54 AM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pay-As-You-Drive

http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you-drive/index.htm

Being a 17 year old, every quote ive got so far has been over £1400 TPFT.
Just wondered if anyone knows how much this scheme will save young drivers like myself on insurance. Obviously it depends on your mileage, but say i drove 8000 miles per year, anyone know roughly how much i would save?

Cheers
Old 22 February 2005, 07:17 PM
duart
Scooby Regular

Default 17

Originally Posted by skoda_kid
http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you-drive/index.htm

Being a 17 year old, every quote ive got so far has been over £1400 TPFT.
Just wondered if anyone knows how much this scheme will save young drivers like myself on insurance. Obviously it depends on your mileage, but say i drove 8000 miles per year, anyone know roughly how much i would save?

Cheers
Suggest you try their quotes with passplus and 9 month policies which should bring the price down to something more bearable but still not cheap.Their website will quote you for the 9 month policy but to get the discount for passplus get on the phone to them.this month they claim to be giving 20% on line discount

best of luck
Old 22 February 2005, 07:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

GPS based pay-as-you-drive; this is the thin end of the wedge isnt it?
Old 24 February 2005, 05:22 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Talking

cant see what difference it makes what mileage you drive,when your cars moving it cant be nicked or broken into, which is the biggest risk 70mph down the motorway or parked up in some multistorey car park. its only an estimate of what you think you will drive in a year and its an unknown quantity so keep it low if it keeps the cost down. I wonder if they will give you a refund if you do less miles than estimated? so if not they shouldnt expect to recieve more money if you go over the quoted mileage powerman
Old 24 February 2005, 07:00 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Please, don't even consider supporting this technology. It doesn't actually reduce the likelihood of accidents occurring, it only skews the cost of insurance premiums towards those who are not prepared to have a device log our exact position and speed at all times. It's in all our interests, to ensure that the reality doesn't become that you have to have one in order to get insurance at all.

If such devices did become common, not only is there the increased overhead of actually buying, maintaining and policing them (which we'd all end up paying for), but our insurance companies would be able to collect an enormous amount of sensitive personal data for which they have no legitimate need. It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see that you could find your insurance reduced to third party only if you stray 1mph over the speed limit, or if you exceed some predetermined mileage limit. Details of exactly when and where you travel could be sold or - maybe worse - made available to the police.

Call me paranoid if you like, but I do believe that our ability to travel freely and with relative anonymity is under threat and worth protecting. Drive something smaller for a few years now and you'll reap the rewards for the rest of your driving career.
Old 24 February 2005, 08:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You arent paranoid at all Andy; compulsary fingerprinting in EU nations is only a couple of years away..... The only reason that we arent included is that the UK, Eire and Denmark opted out of the 'free borders' treaty that this rides on the back of, so the EU arent allowing us to play out of spite. Not to worry though as the government is hell-bent on forcing us to carry identity cards in a free country. Seeing as we seem prepared to accept that then theyll have no problem forcing us to pay to use the roads which we own ffs..... So long as they promise not to raise income tax and spend more on ther NHS than the Conservative party theyll keep winning elections.....

Power to the People!

(Citizen) Simon