Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confusion over insurance issue

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2004, 06:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question confusion over insurance issue

Right. I'm confused.

Wifey & I own an Impreza that's insured in her name. Even though, it's in her name, I tend to drive it the most.
We also own a Mondeo, that's insured in my name. She tends to drive it more than me.

Both insurance companies are aware of this (we're both covered fully comp)< and have no problem. Effectively, we're classed as named drivers on each other's policy, so no problem.

It's insurance time for the Mondeo, so I've been getting some more quotes. Endsleigh have just contacted me for a requote (they were WAY off!) and when going through the details, the above situation was mentioned.
To cut a long conversation short, the gist was that this act is apparently illegal - known as "fronting".

Is this so? If so, how have 2 insurance companies got it totally wrong. How could we get insurance if it's illegal?

It makes no difference to us about the money, as we can easily afford to insure both cars. It was just cirumstances from years gone by that the Scoob ended up in my wife's name (keeping up NCB for both of us).

Can anybody confirm or deny this - either way, I'll be calling both insurance companies in the morning to confirm (the paperwork/covernotes are OK, but "better safe than sorry")

Just want to make sure it's all sorted.

Any comments?

Dan
Old 05 December 2004, 07:13 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

just looked up what "Fronting" is - basically having a car, where you're the main driver, but you're only a named driver.

I can see where Endsleigh may have grounds for concern. Whilst, yes, I'm the main driver in a vehicle insured by another person (albeit my wife), I also have my OWN fully comp insurance (for the car my wife mostly drives)

So, IMHO, I/we are not frauding the insurance companies. In fact, I have raised this issue before with my (Mondeo) insurance company when I wanted to insure the Scoob in my name, with wifey as a named driver. They said that it didn't make any difference, as we were both insured.

I'd also confirmed this with Scoob's insurer - even on the web quote, they ask who is the quote to be for, and who is the main driver. Again, easy questions to answer.

I will, of course, be triple-checking with my insurers tomorrow, but can anybody shed some light on this please?

Cheers,

Dan
Old 06 December 2004, 10:45 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

you can still have the car in your name i.e the scooby but your wife as the main driver
(i once had this argument with kwik fit insurance and i ended up telling him he was full of s**t) the law says you cant not declare this therefore you cant just have her as a named driver she must be classed on the ins as the main driver dont forget though they have to prove this which is doutfull in the event of a claim
Old 07 December 2004, 01:44 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Strictly speaking, the insurer will need to calculate their premium on the MAIN driver of the car, and not any additional NAMED driver, or whoever name the policy is in. This is because the main driver is obviously the one who will be driving the most often & therefore the one most "on risk".

If you are upfront about what you require, and the insurer(s) are ok with it, then there's no problem and you are not defrauding them. But, if any insurer insists on the policy (& premium) in the name of the main driver, this is only being strictly correct on their part.

What insurers dont like is a car used 99% of the time by 17 year old offspring with no NCD, living in town, but it's insured in the parents name who live in a low risk, rural area....