Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insuring 2 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2004, 02:18 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insuring 2 cars

I'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to get some decent quotes for my 2 cars. I've got a Scooby currently insured with L&V ( ), and have just bought a Civic ESi for use as a daily runabout.

However, all the insurers I've tried say that my NCD can only be applied to one car, leaving me with quotes for FC for the Honda of no less than £464 .

I've tried to get the scoob on a restricted mileage policy without using my NCD (so I can apply that to the Civic), but no real joy. Companies other than L&V want a tracker, and usually an immobiliser fitted to the Honda.

I'm sooooo fed up with phoning insurance co's and giving the same details over and over, I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the L&V quote, and just wait to build up some NCD on this car as well.

Unless anybody else has any suggestions............
Old 02 November 2004, 10:16 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white knight
I'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to get some decent quotes for my 2 cars. I've got a Scooby currently insured with L&V ( ), and have just bought a Civic ESi for use as a daily runabout.

However, all the insurers I've tried say that my NCD can only be applied to one car, leaving me with quotes for FC for the Honda of no less than £464 .

I've tried to get the scoob on a restricted mileage policy without using my NCD (so I can apply that to the Civic), but no real joy. Companies other than L&V want a tracker, and usually an immobiliser fitted to the Honda.

I'm sooooo fed up with phoning insurance co's and giving the same details over and over, I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the L&V quote, and just wait to build up some NCD on this car as well.

Unless anybody else has any suggestions............
I insure 2 cars with www.belldirect.co.uk thay insured my megane and when I got my WR1 they matched my full no claims on that too..you might need to phone them up instead of doing it on the web site but their number is on the site.
Old 03 November 2004, 09:16 AM
white knight
Scooby Regular

cheers for that, I'll give them a go - any idea how they treat modded scoobs? And do they require trackers, immobilisers etc?......I'll see what they say.
Old 03 November 2004, 09:53 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i dont see how a car can acumulate no claims, it should be the driver not the car

FFS you can only drive one of them at the same time!!!
Old 03 November 2004, 10:35 AM
white knight
Scooby Regular

exactly m8! I've got 14 years of no claims, but L&V only gave me a maximum of 8 i think, so what's happening to the other 6? Surely they could be applied to the Honda - but noooo! They just try to sting you for even more money!!

And if it is the car that's accumulated the NCB, then why can't I use what the previous owner has gained? It's all bollox really, whichever way you look at it.
Old 03 November 2004, 11:21 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

I'm having an insurance nightmare, too.

When I used to have a few bikes, I had a Norwich Union 'Rider Policy' which insured me, not the bike, on the basis that you can only ride one at a time. I don't recall any stoopid questions about mods, either

It was great if you've got a bike or two, and enjoy swapping with your mates etc. There is a market opportunity here for an enlightened insurer to put together a package like this for Scooby owners (Evos, Skylines) who often have two, or more, cars, a few mods, and can't be hassled to inform the insurance co every time they fit a 'performance enhancing' mod - like a tank of Optimax, maybe - and have to answer a dozen questions before being hit with "another £100, Sir."

Or are we just dumb enough to keep paying the extra?

I would have thought most people on here would be quite good insurance risks, having a generally high standard of driving, know how to mod their cars safely, and guard them like the Crown bloody Jewels.

Maybe someone like Subaru Insured could shed some light on this one?

Richard.

PS I don't see how there is any additional risk in insuring two or more cars under one driver's policy, as you can't drive more than one at a time - rate based on the highest risk vehicle. However, it is possible to have all your cars stolen at the same time so an appropriate premium there would seem fair. Apart from that, all the brokers I have spoken to just talk sh1te and assume you know less about insurance than they do (which is quite difficult in a lot of cases) and sting you for all they can.

Last edited by Hoppy; 03 November 2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03 November 2004, 11:28 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

The NCB applies to the policy, not the driver or car - BUT if you have an accident in one car on one policy, you'll have to declare it on the other policy as well!

Bend over please.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2004, 02:46 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I am insuring 2 cars right now, when I got the 2nd car I phoned my current insurer who I had been with for a couple of years (esure) and they gave me a 40% introductory discount on the 2nd car with their parent company (halifax). not quiet max ncb but much better than none at all.
Old 03 November 2004, 04:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i dont see how a car can acumulate no claims, it should be the driver not the car

FFS you can only drive one of them at the same time!!!
I agree, but in all fairness to the insurance companies whilst your out driving in your second car, your Scooby is sitting there with thieves around.

NCB isn't only due not having accidents, its also due to not having any theft claims.

Having 2 cars obviously doubles the chances of having a theft claim
Old 03 November 2004, 08:13 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Insure your Scoob with the full NCD as this is going to be the highest risk. Then ring a Broker like Swinton or the AA and get a quote on the Honda based on nil NCD, they will have access to policies which will reflect the percentage discount on your scoob policy.....thus getting maximum discount on both vehicles.

simb
Old 05 November 2004, 04:05 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

Got this all sorted now thanks to a friend on Scoobcity. Got a quote from www.theinsurancecentre.co.uk for £240 TPF&T - they matched the NCB I've got on the scoob with L&V.

Last edited by white knight; 05 November 2004 at 04:06 PM. Reason: correcting link
Old 05 November 2004, 04:32 PM
bigman
Scooby Regular

I have insured 2 cars and used my no claims with them both.

If you ring direct line (cant do it on-line) providing you have full no claims they will allow you to insure 2 cars and have the no claims reflected in them both.

They simply give you a total price for the lot; worked our loads cheaper for me when i put the impreza on it.

The inisist on a Tracker monitor as a minimum though; i think most impreza owners have trackers on now anyway so shouldnt be an issue