Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under 25 Insurance - driving other cars

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2004, 11:38 AM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Under 25 Insurance - driving other cars

I am phoning round for insurance at the moment for my son aged 24 driving a 1997 classic. I keep getting told he cannot drive another car until over 25.

Has anyone got insurance without this restriction? If so who are you with.

Jen
Old 15 June 2004, 12:32 PM
IGDU
Scooby Newbie

I will be amazed if any insurance company will give 3rd party only cover in any vehicle for someone under the age of 25. I’m 22 and have offered to pay extra for it on all of my previous policies; but have been declined every time. The most generous extra I’ve had from any insurance company were Tesco when I had my 3 series, who covered me for business use at no extra charge.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:44 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Im 24 and plan to get a Subaru in the next few months.
One thing i have found out when phoning insurance companies was, it was cheaper for me to get insured on a new age impreza than a classic.

Im sure an insurance company somewhere will take your business but im affraid you will pay ridiculous money.
Old 15 June 2004, 07:18 PM
TEXAS PETE
Scooby Regular

This is my mum phoning around for me,(she can do it in work ) I have had my, MY 97 UK turbo for two years and I’ve no problem in getting insured full-comp for under a grand. But it would be really useful to be able to drive another car third-party on the same policy. Especially as my sister has a car and my parents have a WRX … Has anybody got any information on this? I have friends who claim to be able to drive other cars third-party under their fully-com policy….. but I’m wondering if they are just taking it for granted?
Old 15 June 2004, 08:03 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

This area of Insurance has always been mis-understood. Most Insurance companies will grant you this benefit if your over 25, some even if your 30. Some may still not give it even if you have reached their designated age, e.g your occupation could be related to the motor trade. There still maybe some Insurance companies where you get this benefit at a younger age, very few though.

I have friends who claim to be able to drive other cars third-party under their fully-com policy….. but I’m wondering if they are just taking it for granted?

I would say they don't have it, alot of people are under the impression that if they are fully comp, they will automatically get this benefit....SCARY, they don't. It does not matter what cover your have, it could just be third party only and you could still get this cover.

simb
Old 15 June 2004, 08:33 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Also, they seem 2 like adding restrictions such as this to policies on higher performance cars, but friends that drive c**p/normal cars have the 3rd party 2 drive other cars etc.. go figure.
Old 16 June 2004, 12:25 PM
TEXAS PETE
Scooby Regular

I need to find out what company my friend is insured with and ask him to check his policy. He is insured fully-comp on a 1.1 pop and can ‘supposedly’ drive any other car third-party… for example mine. But I can’t drive his……Something is defiantly not right.

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2004, 02:12 PM
Mikkk
Scooby Regular

Of course it's right ... it's just if he tries wrapping your pride and joy round a tree you get no money, nada, zip. So the question is do you want to let someone with 3rd party only drive your pride and joy??
You think it's bad being sub 25?? Try being in your late twenties ... morale dilemna: hit the big three-o and save buckets on insurance or stay hip 'n cool*

*this is not the current status of the poster but apparently the bulk of twenty-somthings are gorgeous people with time to spare down McD's way ... unless TV has lied to me again
Old 16 June 2004, 02:34 PM
TEXAS PETE
Scooby Regular

LOL Nobody will be driving my car, but it would be nice to be able to drive my sisters 1.3 nova to get it fixed when it keeps braking
Old 16 June 2004, 03:48 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

you have to be very carefull, I am fully comp on my policy, and cannot drive anyone else's car using my insurance.

My sister has her car insured specifically to allow any other person - regardless of age, to drive her car. Her insurance premium costs more than it normally would, I can drive her car, using her insurance.

Insurance policies are one massive lump of small print, they have you all ends up.
Old 16 June 2004, 04:15 PM
The Mutz Nutz
Scooby Regular

Norwich Union Direct give you a TP ext to drive any other car regardless of your age.
Old 16 June 2004, 05:56 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Norwich Union will not insure anyone under 25 for a Subaru

Jen
Old 17 June 2004, 10:38 AM
The Mutz Nutz
Scooby Regular

They will if you're an existing customer with a good background with them............or an employee.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:18 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

I was 24 when I first got my 96 WRX wagon (import) and paid £1500 fully comprehensive, and I WAS able to drive any other vehicle 3rd party with owners permission. That was through "Privelige". I had clean licence (at the time, and 5 years NCD).
On renewing policy when I turned 25, It dropped to £1200. I have since sold the car but got a quote for a UK spec classic and this was £800 with (6 points for speeding). £400 pounds cheaper for a UK car.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:37 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

i think what it means you can drive any other car if it has insurance already with somone else as there first car e.g im insured with my impreza and my dad is insured with his astra he can drive my car aslong as there is sombody insured with my car but if i didnt have insurance with my car he cannot drive my car, even though his insure fully comp
Old 17 June 2004, 12:08 PM
The Mutz Nutz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cong
i think what it means you can drive any other car if it has insurance already with somone else as there first car e.g im insured with my impreza and my dad is insured with his astra he can drive my car aslong as there is sombody insured with my car but if i didnt have insurance with my car he cannot drive my car, even though his insure fully comp
yeah, that's what it means mate
Old 17 June 2004, 12:52 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Priviledge will not insure under 25

Current insurance has a restriction that he cannot drive other cars 3rd Party.

My insurance for the WRX I can have anyone over 30 driving it in an emergency, just renewed the Policy two weeks ago. Last year the age was 25 ! !

Premium had only risen by about £7 (not a mistake - seven pounds). Pete's has increased over £200.

Jen
Old 17 June 2004, 12:57 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

when i was 19 i was fully comp on a nova and unable to drive any other cars, my little brother was 17 3rd party f&f on anova and could drive anything he liked (diffrent company)
Old 17 June 2004, 01:03 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell - I am also trying to get insurance for Pete's 17 year old sister for her Nova - wonder if she will be insured for his scoob ???
Old 17 June 2004, 01:38 PM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jen_M
Priviledge will not insure under 25

Current insurance has a restriction that he cannot drive other cars 3rd Party.

My insurance for the WRX I can have anyone over 30 driving it in an emergency, just renewed the Policy two weeks ago. Last year the age was 25 ! !

Premium had only risen by about £7 (not a mistake - seven pounds). Pete's has increased over £200.

Jen
Well Privelige insured me at 24, FACT.
Mind you, was nearly 2 years ago.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:24 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

When I had a VTR at 22 I was insured 3party on any other car through citroen insurance who are underwritten by privelige - I had to give my brothers driving lessons tho and in reality its not that useful as I would not want to drive something I could not afford to replace which at the time was not very much!!

Cheers

Andy
Old 18 June 2004, 07:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Liverpool Victoria
Old 19 June 2004, 01:21 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My fully comp policy last year allowed me to drive any vehicle 3rd party, this year it doesn't and was no cheaper. I'm 29, hopefully next year I can go with LV (who won't touch you if you're <30 and driving an import)
Old 21 June 2004, 09:08 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

Will the rules change again next year??

Maybe you can only insure a scooby if you are old and grey??
Old 23 June 2004, 09:43 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Trust me 5 Scoobies and im am not old, just grey

20 in a month time!
Old 24 June 2004, 03:50 PM
s83osl
Scooby Regular

Default insured at 21

hi yea i am 21 insure my sti type r version 5 in my own name through tescos cost 2998 not cheap but hell of a car.

Originally Posted by Jen_M
I am phoning round for insurance at the moment for my son aged 24 driving a 1997 classic. I keep getting told he cannot drive another car until over 25.

Has anyone got insurance without this restriction? If so who are you with.

Jen