Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru Insurance - what a laugh.

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2004, 04:05 PM
Nog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Subaru Insurance - what a laugh.

Anyone tried to insure a MY04 WRX (UK, not imported) with an STi rear spoiler(i.e.: Subaru part # E7210FE000VI) ????

What a joke! OK, the part costs £895 (plus £30 for a torsion bar), but here's the insurance bit:

Best quote for car so far, without rear spoiler = £690 (Tesco - pretty good). Add the rear spoiler (which apparently comes under the category "large rear spoiler, whale tail, cosworth"), and the insurance goes up to £900 !!!!

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!

I nearly pi**ed myself laughing. Then I started to cry.
Old 08 April 2004, 04:26 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

thats weird, i just added my prodrive springs on my insurance with Tesco and it will cost me £0 extra, because it was supplied and fitted by subaru !!
Old 08 April 2004, 04:32 PM
Nog
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Monkeh -> Also on the policy are the Prodrive springs and exhaust. Neither make any difference. The exhaust is being listed as "direct replacement" (the other options were "stainless <something>" and "full system replacement").

I too thought that these bits would be classed as "factory fit", but blokey at Tesco referred the spoiler to the underwriters (after I started laughing/crying), and they came back saying this is a dealer fit option (so too are the springs and exhaust BTW).
Old 08 April 2004, 08:34 PM
powerman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If it dont effect the performance then there should be no increase in premium and whose to say that it wasn't fitted as standard when you bought the car.The thing is at the end of the day they will only give you the market value if you are unlucky enough to get it nicked so why give them a heap of money and try to be upfront with any cosmetic upgrades when they will only cane you for it.
does it pay to honest???
regards powerman
Old 08 April 2004, 09:58 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

because if you have an accident the inspector will see the car isnt standard, and he will void your insurance !!

I have been very luck with this and the inspector looked at my last car and didnt seem to take any notice that the interia was out of a newer model and that it was lowered with alloys ??
Old 08 April 2004, 11:22 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Big spoiler = Car stands out in a crowd so more likely to be pinched, targeted in
the eyes of the insurer !