Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance for partner.

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2004, 12:23 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for partner.

My Scoob is up for renewal. Bell Direct have quoted £650 (+ £50 to £100 this year's for proposed mods). This doesn't require a tracker and is for 5 years protected NCB.

I'm quite happy with this, but we will be looking for a second car in July/August, and I'm wondering if I should pick an insurer who will be "friendly" to the second vehicle rather than simply going for the cheapest for the Impreza. I don't really want to insure 2 cars on one policy though, as 2 lots of NCB is better than 1.

Nic has no NCB at all, and wants "a sweet nippy little convertable". I suggested a TVR Griffith. (I say 500, she says 4 litre max) The final choice of car will probably be between groups 15 to 20. Best price for the Griff is £1200 at the moment.

She's been on my insurance for 4 years now, and was on her parents for a good many years before this, and is still is now. We can show documentary evidence to this effect.

Do we have any hope of negociating some NCB for her to make the quotes reasonable? Any suggestions on companies would be good too.

Thanks.
Old 10 March 2004, 12:01 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I had my wife on my car with direct line. Last year we bought her a proper 2nd car. Still have her on my policy too.

Direct line give her my NCD on her policy to compensate for the fact that she has no direct NCD of her own.

I think the discount is only valid while you are with DL - i.e its a discount rather than an official NCD.
Old 10 March 2004, 12:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would imagine the TVR would be best on a classic policy where you are limited to 5,000 miles or such like .....these are ALOT cheaper ..... something like a griffith would cost you approx £250 - £300 a year..

HOWEVER

Not alot of people realise that when you take out a classic policy its different than a standard policy in that it doesnt use your NCB in any way. Its a fixed price for you on that vehicle for a given number of miles per year. Thats all fine and dandy BUT and its a pretty big BUT...because its not a normal policy it will not be recognised by your next insurance company. So when you sell the Griffith in three years time and buy a scooby your next insurers will say you have to start your NCB from scratch again coz you havent had a proper insurance policy in the past two years. I was caught out like that. The only way I could get round it was that during my TVR period I also drove a company car and the insurer accepted that as continuous no claim driving and allowed full no claims bonus....

Its worth considering
Old 11 March 2004, 11:45 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Just enquired about a classic policy for the Griff with Adrian Flux - £800. It was only SDP though, no commuting allowed. Where's the fun in that? work carparks are made for donuts, aren't they?

I knew about the NCB problem with classic policies as a friend used to have a Triumph Stag, but since Nic doesn't have any NCB to lose, I don't see it as too much of a problem. We can buy a Festa to sit in the corner...

I'll keep looking. It looks like it's possible - now I need to find the right Griff!

Last edited by dnb; 11 March 2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:54 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thats not right mate, I used to take Tivvy to work all the time in the summer ......Social and Domestic includes to and from your permanant place of work. Its only work use if your travelling with your business...I would check that bit again.

Premium seems too high to me as well.......
Old 12 March 2004, 07:26 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

TBH I've never had much luck with Adrian Flux. The person I spoke to didn't seem to understand what a TVR was! I'm still looking, although I have been too busy today.

It would be nice to think I could take the Griff to work, but I expect Nic will use it - with the excuse "Well, it is mine!"
Old 12 March 2004, 07:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Will have a look in my TVR car club mags in a min and see if i can find a couple of numbers for you mate ..... cant for the life of me remember who I used to go with, but they were good

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2004, 07:55 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

right I cant vouche for any of these but they are out of the TVRCC mags I have

Heritage ......01212466060
TVR Insurance ...08002791920
Peart.............01539730666
A manning uk .........01491578759

I was with a company called classic line but they went bust ,...

Come to think of it i've got about 30 TVRCC mags here from 1999 - 2001 ish .....You can have them if you like. Private me your addy and ill post them, no charge. Plenty of articles and you can pick the model and colour you want??
Old 12 March 2004, 10:37 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

PM about to be sent. Nic likes "Ocean Haze" at the moment...

Thanks alot! I'll post up the results when I get them.
Old 13 March 2004, 09:34 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

diamond insuarnce for women mate, there bloody cheap! my girlfriend is a learner, 20 years old, no ncb, got her a festa 1.1l got quoted right up the board of £2k plus, diamond £560 fully comp!

jamo
Old 13 March 2004, 03:43 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You will do well to beat a good classic insurance (other than the NCB point mentioned earlier)..most also give guarentted values on your car as well, so if its written off you get that money.....no haggling etc.

I agree though Jamo diamond are good ...... my track car is with them, throught the missis and her 172 is with them too

Not sure about ocean haze mate, isnt that the light green kinda colour? Yellow is nice but i reckon its more about getting the right car than the right colour (within reason).....dont buy WHITE ...bad bad TVR colour
Old 13 March 2004, 04:17 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

White? Urgh! No way are we ahving a white one!
Neither of us particularly like yellow either.

It's Nic's choice on the colour. My choice on the engine size

You're right though, the car will be picked on condition over colour. However it may see a DeVilbiss before too long if it's not right.
Old 13 March 2004, 04:25 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Join the TVRCC striaght away mate, costs about £40 a year and well worth while. You will get a good well looked after car from there for sure.....

Personally I would have a 4.3BV in Formula red with beige leather .....mmmmmmm The sound of the pre-cat cars makes ya spine tingle
Old 13 March 2004, 04:38 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Who says it's going to have a cat? I agree about the sound - one of the few things better than a decatted Scoob is a catless TVR v8.

Is formula red that lovely metalic deep red? If so then it's one of my favourite colours.
Old 13 March 2004, 04:42 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

No formula is the bright red ......mica red is the other one I think.....

I would love to have a 450 SEAC sat in the garage for highdays and holidays .... now that was by far the best sounding Tivvy ever ....... rolling thunder ..mmmmmm

You have me thinking about one again now ....haha ....got me TVRCC mags out and everything, not good.
Old 13 March 2004, 04:45 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Go to http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/ click search, put in the word VIDEO then search the TVR section over the last year......crank broad band up and enjoy. Some great vids on there, sounds amazing.
Old 13 March 2004, 04:48 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Sorry! But we're all only young once, so if you can afford it, then why the hell not?

There are advantages and disadvantages to a petrolhead "other half"...
Old 13 March 2004, 04:53 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you can afford it have it I say... and everyone should have a tivvy at least once in their life

right time to go watch starskey and Hutch and stuff me face with Pizza.... Cya later matey
Old 13 March 2004, 05:06 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help. You've convinced me that the benefit of a small mortgage is a TVR on the driveway.
Old 14 March 2004, 11:37 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just go into it with your eyes wide open and you'll be ok......... It is not a good all weather car, there will be the odd occasion when it has a problem, it will cost more than the average car to maintain. However!! you will forgive it everything when you turn the key and fire it up in your garage on a cold april morning, or when your being admired by everyone on your way to the beach.

Right time to go clean my engine .......cya