Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uk insurers and 'NCB' - what is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 12:29 AM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time was when NCB was the key to getting real 'discount' on insurance ... now we have 'protected' NCB whereby (provided you renew with same insurer)you can seemingly have 1 or 2 claims per year and not lose the discount level (though how you know you are getting a discounted price is anyone's guess).
Now I am seeing advertising offering NCB 'protected for life' - how the hell is that a NO Claims scenario anymore?

Does this mean that insurers have effectively abandoned the concept of careful (or lucky) drivers being rewarded with discounted rates?

Seems we now have situation where the insurers just expect all drivers to make claims on a regular basis and charge according to 'statistical' evidence from their databases on how likely and how expensive a claim might be according to the profile of the driver/vehicle

does this mean we are all getting a bum deal now?

Are there any insurers left who genuinely discount rates for people who don't make claims? -
as an old git with 22 years without making a claim I am a bit aggrieved at this...

I recently had my car damaged by a bus and was somewhat shocked at the insurers glib attitude to the resultant claim - ie not interested in who was to blame, not really bothered about anything much except when I insisted on a hire car whilst my car was being repaired (at which point they got all defensive but had to agree in the end anyway)

Can anyone with an inside view on this explain what is happening?

Paul W