Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat B Non repairable, Is that gospel

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2004, 12:35 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently wrote my car off and after speaking to my insurance company they have told me that is a Cat B non repairable so i can not buy it back and repair it.

Is that final or is it worth speaking to the salvage yard its in and getting a second opinion from another garage i,e Scoobyclinic.

If it is repaired will i be able to reinsure it with this rating on it's record.

cheers in advance

steve
Old 16 January 2004, 06:25 PM
Hoverbod
Scooby Regular

If the insurance inspector has classified it as a cat B, it is a breaker only, and cannot be repaired for use on the road. It will be recorded on HPI as a cat B, so you won;t be able to sell it. Anyone that does try and return it to the road, will not be able to due to the fact that it will not pass a VIC check, and you will not be able to get a new Logbook. If the insurance company has paid out to you for the car, it is now theirs, and it is their decision. They work within the guidelines of ABI, and if they have classifeied it as cat B, you don't want to try and repair it anyway. One of the dealers I know has applied to insurance companies for reclassification, but it is normally more hassle than it is worth, for reasons above. If you want a cheap scoob, give Andy a ring at GradeA-subaru.co.uk , I have just bought a stolen/recovered WRX STI 5 from him, and he has been extremely helpful. I don't know what else he has at the moment. ABI Classifications are as follows if you are interested:
A This vehicle is suitable for scrap metal only, and should be crushed. (Normally burnt out shells).
B. Vehicle extensively damaged, it is not suitable for repair. The body shell should be crushed.
C. Vehicle extensively damaged but repairable. Cost of repairs exceeds market value. Insurer has chosen not to repair.
D. Vehicle damaged but repairable. Cost of repairs does not exceed market value. Insurer has chosen not to repair.

Regards,

J
Old 17 January 2004, 11:40 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Just because it is a cat b, doesn't mean it wont pass a vic check, trust me
There has been at least 5 or 6 cars that have been cat b write-offs and passed, however you might have trouble buying it back, and will almost certainly have trouble selling it.
If it was me I'd get a report from your insurance engineer stating damage, and have a word with a few repairers.
Hope this helps