Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving other cars with owners permission

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2003, 11:18 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was having a discussion with a mate last night about driving with owners permission.
His girlfriend has two cars a pug 206 and a micra, both registered to her. He is a named driver, fully comp on the Pug and his girlfriend gave him the micra to use as his daily runner, Is he covered under the Owners permission to drive the car from the named driver policy? Or does the micra have to have insurance on it in the owners name for him to be able to drive it?
Old 28 August 2003, 03:06 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

didnt realise it that difficult a question to answer
Old 28 August 2003, 04:01 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

The way my policy reads, it states only the policy holder can drive other peoples cars with their permission & covered 3rd party only.

Mark
Old 28 August 2003, 04:19 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

I was told recently that even though your policy may allow you to drive any other car not owned by you, 3rd party cover of course, that car you wish to drive must have it's own insurance on it by the owner. Does that help?

However I have since found out that insurance companies may allow the following:

- You have you own car and own insurance on the car. You can also drive any other car 3rd party.

- However an elderly relative owns their own car but they cannot drive it due to disability and hence have no insurance on the car. However they wish to be taken out in the car at weekends.

The insurance company added their relatives' car to their policy at no extra cost!

- He can now drive his own car and the relatives' car around on the one policy.

I know this is not related in your case but it does look like there are ways around driving a car not owned by you on your own policy where your policy states that you can drive other cars 3rd party cover only.

Anyone else got any more examples?
Old 28 August 2003, 04:44 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys that helps a bit, i guess the only way is for him to call his insurance company and ask them.
Old 06 September 2003, 12:09 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't know if I'm repeating anyone

In order to drive another car off the back of your own insurance policy (ie third party on any other car with the owners permission) There must be an insurance policy in place for that other vehicle. It doesn't have to be a policy in the name of the owner of that vehicle. It's to stop people buying a few cars, insuring the cheapest, putting the rest in the wifes name and driving them all.

Hope this helps

Matt
Old 06 September 2003, 02:05 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

i have a question about driving other peoples car, my current setup is i own a pug 405 and have my own insurance policy on it 3rd party fire and theft and my mum has a wrx in her own name with fully comp insuance, with her permission am i allowed to drive that car? all my insurance documents are in northampton atm so it means i can't easily check, wondering if there is a standard rule about driving other peoples cars with their permission

Borich
Old 06 September 2003, 02:27 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

In most cases you normally only get the inclusion of driving other vehicles when you have a fully comprehensive policy. It is not a standard feature and on occassions there are also age restrictions.

I wouldn't risk it without checking first!

Old 07 September 2003, 06:39 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

And if you're with Tesco and under 25 you can Foxtrot Oscar
I've gotta change my insurance for this reason so my mom can insure my run-about and I can drive it 3rd party off my insurance. £1500 for me to insure TPFT or £200 for her... (No NCB for either, other cars)!

Andy
Old 08 September 2003, 11:22 AM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel I need to comment - 1. The car you drive under DOC does not have to have it's own insurance. 2. You do not have to have a Comp policy to get DOC. Yes there can be age restrictions and say if you work as a mechanic it may be excluded, but you can have a TPO policy for you first car and nearly always get DOC. I wish in my 14 years of working in the motor insurance industry I had got a £1 for every time I heard that one. he he!