Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I do not understand how insurance works...!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2003, 05:09 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am 32 and my wife is 32. We have both been driving for 14 years. We have NEVER caused an accident. We have NEVER had a speeding ticket (lucky) or been banned from driving.

In 2000, a p*ssed f*ckstain who was not insured drove into my car and caused £1200 worth of damage which, ultimately, I had to pay for.

Another pathetic excuse for a human being drove into my wife's car in 2001, causing £900 worth of damage. They drove off without paying...

As a result of these two claims which are considered to be FAULT (???!!) claims and the addition of a PPP, I would have more luck becoming the first pregnant human male than getting insured in this country (at a sensible price).

I know there are a lot of youngsters having problems - unfortunately, you have statistics against you, but I'm an old fart!!

Is anybody else having similar problems?

Wuss.

Mods - sorry about putting this in General, but I wanted some comments from Scoobynetters across the board...
Old 23 April 2003, 05:21 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

The insurer's view is that someone has to pay and, as the other tw*ts will not/cannot, I'm afraid it goes against your NCD.

Sorry for you mate, as I had a similar problem a couple of years ago - hit & run w*nker drove off after causing £4500 worth of damage to my wife's Scenic.
Old 23 April 2003, 05:24 PM
slacker
Scooby Regular

i'm not sure how it works either but i think the key is your NCB right? if you've made a claim and used your NCB, then how can you expect to get good value insurance? on paper, your just another new driver wanting motor insurance in a high insurance group!

as brucie says "what do points make?...discounts!!!"
Old 23 April 2003, 06:18 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

look at the insurance thread from a while back it has all the contacts and personal references.

as slacker rightly says it's down to NCD and whether it was protected - i had a 3k fault claim last year and it caused no issues as i was protected.
Old 23 April 2003, 06:35 PM
MY99Impreza
Scooby Regular

Sorry Wuss, would love to sympathise, but I've had a completely clean driving record for 9 years - no claims (regardless of fault)and I drive a completely standard uk turbo and my insurance premium is £1500stg!!!. Thats after spending a whole day phone around - Thats Irish Insurance premiums for you.
Old 23 April 2003, 06:35 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When in 2000 did you make a claim? Most proposal forms ask only for claims made in the last 3 years. It might be worth paying the extortionate premium now, then, when the 3 years is up, shop around for a new insurer. You should be able to get most of the balance of the policy refunded, minus a handling fee, of course.

Just thinking out loud, but might be worth looking into.

Then again, you did quite well out of the last service Like they say, easy come, easy go.
Old 23 April 2003, 07:43 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Angry

as an 'old fart' i think you should be careful with the young driver statistic comment!

I have had my licence since 17 and am now 25, i have had 1 accident and it was not my fault, i have gone from insuring an e-reg metro to a brand new sti8 in stages over the last 6 years and have 6 years no claims discount, my renewal was £1680 this year (or £1300 if i had kept my MY97 ppp.

So

Is a driver who is 40 with 2 claims in the last couple of years (claim being insurance paid you for whatever reason) a higher risk than me - according to insurance co - NO!

Age has sweet F.A to do with anything.

Driver qualification (eg advanced driving courses) or NCB should be the only factor.

When i am thirty i bet my sti8 equivalent insuarnce group car will still cost me £1680 with 11yrs NCB!

Insurance premiums increase each year at the same rate as a years no claims counts for! - ie 10% i have never ever recieved a cheaper renewal than the previous years cost!

Just my 2 pence worth....

[Edited by DeerHunter - 4/23/2003 7:45:49 PM]
Old 23 April 2003, 08:53 PM
[Chris]
Scooby Regular

Got a good one for you then - 26year old driver, full NCD, no accidents or points - comp insurance (after phoning around)

Mr2 supercharged '86 (value £4500) - £650
(188bhp mod's yadda yadda yadda)
Mundano (mondeo) 2.0l (value £3000) - £600
(um it's a mondeo!)
Buell 1200cc motorbike(value £6000) - £300
(massive grin factor - seriously loud)
Scooby MY00 (value £12000) - £1000
(my new car!)
Twin fireblade powered westfield - £350
(impractical, but not alarmed or anything)

how does this work then?
Old 23 April 2003, 09:27 PM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

insurance for the scoobs is really messed up, I was phoneing around the other day trying to get quotes on the 2nd hand MY98 Impreza turbo I was after buying, now I'm 21 (altho I will be 22 in about a week) and I have 2 years NCD.

Loadsa places wouldn't touch me because I was under 30, including Greenlight, who according to a post in the insurance forum are happily insuring a 26yr old

In the end I only got quotes from direct line/tesco - and they demand a tracker! Compare this to my friend who is 22, has 0 NCD and is insured happily on his Seat Leon Cupra R (210BHP, limited production car with a 3 month waiting list to get one) with no need for a tracker and around th £1k mark.

To get back on topic for the thread, you are in a really harsh situation. I had an accident the other year where someone pulled out in front of me from a side road, 100% her fault and she didnt even report it to her insurance company untill 3 months down the line when I threatened legal action. Even then she tried to lie her *** off and get 50-50. It took nearly 6 months in the end to get my money back!

IMO if someone doesnt have insurance and is at fault then the little sh*t should just pay out of their own pocket. And you certainly shouldn't be faulted. Its crazy, the way the system is it rewards people for being hit-and-run drivers.