Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running 2 cars question?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2002, 02:05 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi all,

Have a scoob fully comp insured. Just wondering If I buy an old nag of a car to drive to work whether I can just use my current policy and drive it under 3rd party only???

cheers

andy
Old 23 December 2002, 02:29 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

No, unfortunately you can't, you will have to have seperate cover on the other car, just get 3rd party and limited mileage (if possible) to bring the cost down.
Old 25 December 2002, 04:10 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
****, thought that would be the answer, thanks anyway
Old 02 January 2003, 02:26 PM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

You could do what I use to do and its totally above board and that is buy a car in a family members name (so registered to them not you), then drive it on your insurance 3rd party only any other vehicle. I checked with my insurance company and they said as long as I didn't own it I was covered even if the owner didn't have insurance on it :-)

Only problem is when taxing it, I had to get a cover note from my insurance company to cover me on this second car for a week but it covered me on both cars (said scooby was in for repair) and only cost a tenner.

Hope this helps, worth checking with your insurance company first.

T
Old 02 January 2003, 06:55 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

L&V are the guys for this.

I have a 106 Diesel as a second car, uptil today i had it insured by my mother and i drove it on my 3rd party clause.Her renewal cane through for it, £212 TPF+T, so i rang L&V, told them i had a second car i needed insuring, they gave me 40% no cliams discount on it, the premium been £163 FULLY COMP

I'm not convinced it doesnt have to be insured by anyone and you can still drive it on your 3rd party, hows the car insured once you get out of it? Any car on the public highway has to be insured, even when parked up.
Old 03 January 2003, 08:18 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Your correct in saying it ain't insured but it isn't worth anything anyway and it only needs to be taxed to be on the public highway.
Plus how many cars are dumped everywhere now-days without tax, insurance, mot, etc and all they get is a 'police aware' sticker, I had a car outside my house in a parking bay that took four months to get removed after I reported it (the tax was out of date by 6 months b4 that) + there is a car outside my mums house (in a parking bay)thats had more than one sticker and the tax is over a year out of date. Seems that if its in a safe place the council/police don't care so much.

T.