Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - where do I stand with my PNCB ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2016, 05:36 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help - where do I stand with my PNCB ?

Hi all,

I'm in the unfortunate position of having my car written off as a 'cat c' because the insurance company deem it to be too expensive to repair, even though it is completely repairable and has been confirmed as repairable by my chosen garage.

I've informed my insurance company that I would prefer to get the car repaired and back on the road as it's my pride and joy, rather than have them send it to a salvage company. Unfortunately they will not entertain a cash in lieu settlement, so pending their offer etc., they suggested I might be able to buy the car back from them at salvage cost. However, they then proceeded to inform me that they will not insure the car (if it repaired back to its former glory) because it will be listed as a category C vehicle. So, if I want to repair and run the car, I will have to switch insurers to someone who covers cat C vehicles.

Over time I've accumulated 14yrs NCBs and had them protected with my current insurer - what I don't understand is how they will be affected if I switch insurers ? Will I lose them and have my NCBs set to 0 or will the new insurer take them into account, along with the recent claim ?

Any advice from those in the know will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10 February 2016, 05:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if they are protected i would have thought they carry over to new insurer.

speak to whoever you will use to insure it to get there official line on it, anything else is pure speculation
Old 10 February 2016, 05:55 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Yeah was hoping Dan (AdrianFlux) or Gary (Keith Michaels) might be able to shed some light on it. Not sure if they still frequent this forum anymore though ?
Old 10 February 2016, 08:31 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Hi,
In theory your protected benefit is with your existing insurer only however most insurers we deal with will allow you to transfer over Protected NCB to them subject to a life lost under their rules.
Each insurer will have their own rules as to how many lives you get i.e 1 claim a year, 2 claims in a 5 year period etc.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 10 February 2016, 10:50 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the heads up Dan.

After posing a few more questions to my insurers relating to the ongoing claim this evening, they confirmed that they would be able to reinstate the affected vehicle on my policy if it is successfully repaired, subject to a valid MOT certificate. So either I got my wires crossed earlier on, or another claims rep was trying to lead me up the wrong path? Either way it seems I spoke to someone this evening who knows exactly what the score is: accept settlement offer, buy back car from insurance co. at salvage cost, repair car at my cost, MOT car and reinstate on existing policy without affecting PNCB. Think I'm getting somewhere now.

Next silly question, do dash cams have any positive effect on reducing a premium?
Old 10 February 2016, 11:13 PM
bro82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my current insurer Admiral and my previous LV didn't bother about my dash cam
Old 11 February 2016, 11:18 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Cheers bro, I'll be getting one nonetheless after my latest experience.
Old 11 February 2016, 02:18 PM
bro82
Scooby Regular

I've got them fitted in my both cars, I paid about £30
Old 11 February 2016, 05:20 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Hi,
With regards to dash cams a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for a wide range of approved in-car cameras.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/dash-cam-insurance/
Regards,
Dan.
Old 11 February 2016, 06:54 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Why are you not claiming off the car drivers insurance that hit your car.
Old 12 February 2016, 10:26 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

No-one hit my car J.

To cut a long story short, an oncoming learner driver pulled out in front of me at a set of crossroads which I was travelling through. Natural instinct took over and I swerved out of the way, with little time to brake, and in doing so I bumped into a set of railings protecting a pedestrian crossing. Only damage was to my car (which was still drive-able after the incident) and at the time it looked purely cosmetic ie dent bonnet and bumper - headlights etc were still intact and working and the car was still completely drive-able.

The driver's instructor was all too quick to point the finger at me, suggesting I was speeding and had jumped a red light, and it was clear from her whole attitude that she was never gonna accept liability so it was always gonna be their word(s) against mine - that sort of contest would have taken ages to get sorted and because I assumed it was minimal damage to my car I accepted it would be less hassle just to pay for the repairs myself and get it sorted with minimal fuss, informing my insurance company along the way that I'd had a bump without the need to make a claim. It was only when the car was stripped down that the damage was found to be more severe.

If I'd had a dash cam I would've been able to prove otherwise and would have been able to claim off the 3rd party.

Yes it's an expensive lesson learned, but it's not until you're actually come out of these kind of experiences that you actually learn what the best courses of action to take are.
Old 12 February 2016, 11:18 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, and i hope things work out for you.
Old 12 February 2016, 12:23 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Cheers J.
Old 12 February 2016, 05:14 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
No-one hit my car J.

To cut a long story short, an oncoming learner driver pulled out in front of me at a set of crossroads which I was travelling through. Natural instinct took over and I swerved out of the way, with little time to brake, and in doing so I bumped into a set of railings protecting a pedestrian crossing. Only damage was to my car (which was still drive-able after the incident) and at the time it looked purely cosmetic ie dent bonnet and bumper - headlights etc were still intact and working and the car was still completely drive-able.

The driver's instructor was all too quick to point the finger at me, suggesting I was speeding and had jumped a red light, and it was clear from her whole attitude that she was never gonna accept liability so it was always gonna be their word(s) against mine - that sort of contest would have taken ages to get sorted and because I assumed it was minimal damage to my car I accepted it would be less hassle just to pay for the repairs myself and get it sorted with minimal fuss, informing my insurance company along the way that I'd had a bump without the need to make a claim. It was only when the car was stripped down that the damage was found to be more severe.

If I'd had a dash cam I would've been able to prove otherwise and would have been able to claim off the 3rd party.

Yes it's an expensive lesson learned, but it's not until you're actually come out of these kind of experiences that you actually learn what the best courses of action to take are.
I took some huuuuge sign posts and signs out the other year and couldn't get my no claims back until I had proof off the council I'd payed for all new signs and labour charges.......was a expensive day out