Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused.com, Go-compare heads up.

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2015, 03:38 PM
Milneragain
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused.com, Go-compare heads up.

I received my insurance renewal quote from Admiral, as usual this year, so I went into Confused.com & Go-compare, & managed to negotiate a better price, still staying with Admiral for about £70 less than their renewal price.

After I had paid the insurance, I went back into the site a day or so later to find out how much my insurance would go up if I added a few mods, like new alloys, a light tint on the back windows, coilover suspension etc...

A couple of days after that, I got an e-mail from Admiral saying that they had detected on the site that I had done some mods to my car & as a result they had taken an additional £52.00 from my bank account.

I replied to their e-mail saying that I was only checking how much it would cost me in additional insurance if I did do the mods in question to my car, that there was nowhere on the site that said that by doing this it was a contract with the existing insurance company, & I told them that I was furious that they had taken the additional money from my bank account without consulting me first.

In the end, because I had a really bad nervous breakdown a few years back, & my nerves couldn't take getting into a long battle with an insurance company, I told them that on this occasion I would let it go, because the price was reasonable for the proposed mods, & I would be doing them to my car in the near future anyway, but I thought I would give you guys a heads up.

Last edited by Milneragain; 14 May 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 14 May 2015, 03:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

hmmm, sounds like they are on very very dodgy legal grounds doing that.
Old 14 May 2015, 05:48 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
hmmm, sounds like they are on very very dodgy legal grounds doing that.
But, good luck taking a multi-million pound company to court, who can afford all the best lawyers who know all the best loopholes.
Old 14 May 2015, 07:15 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Admiral group are well known for doing this and have been doing it for a few years now.
Old 15 May 2015, 03:59 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't aware of this, but then I've never used admiral. Unless there has been a confirmed update to the OP's schedule of agreement / policy, I wouldn't expect Admiral to be allowed to take any money without the OP's consent. As far as I'm concerned a price comparison site should remain a price comparison site and nothing more. Perhaps the likes of Moley or other insurance experts can confirm ?
Old 21 May 2015, 04:20 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

How about this: i was playing around with the quotes and i used to get around 2k for a very heavily modified car.my own reg, same as you, just trying out things because i heard some mods will lower insurance like the trailer hook, parking sensors, tracker.

anyways, what I did was I said every for "lowering factor added" I will add a factor which will increase the premium: window tints, turbo, brakes etc.

Done this and it was coming to about 2k, 2.2k when I added things I would not do anyway in real future due to cost: coilovers, brembos, turbo etc.

2 week later, I wanted to double check it again : 4k, 5k.I Changed reg number, same car,same year, same mods, back to 2k . How do you explain this? my reg number back in the system 4k. WTF?
Old 21 May 2015, 08:33 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got caught out with this too. I put down I owned my car a year longer than I have ( genuine mistake) and they've added £180 on my yearly price. They will find anything to bump it up