Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Radio signal

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2002, 09:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just replaced the standard double din unit in my MY02 STi with a nice new Pioneer head unit, but I am having trouble with the radio signal. Basically it's acting as though there just isn't a strong enough signal to pick anything up, and if I manually tune to a station (any of the BBC channels for instance), I jet one helluva lot of hiss along with the station.

Does anyone know if the original head unit had a booster built in? If it did, then I suspect that may be the problem (my brother has a similar in-rear-window aerial in hi MG, and he has a seperate amplifier just for the aerial).

If this turns out to be the problem, then I guess I need to get a booster from somewhere. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one from?

Cheers,
Iain
Old 17 May 2002, 10:49 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

rear screen aerial must be powered up check that the power aerial feed from new radio is connected to the screen amp
Old 18 May 2002, 11:11 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Ah, thanks. I'd forgotten to connect that bit. All working now

Cheers,
Iain
Old 20 May 2002, 10:59 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've got an STi with the standard head unit and the signal is rubbish. FM sounds like AM used to.

The dealer checked at the 1000 mile service but couldn't help. I'd decided that this was just a characteristic of screen aerials. Can you give me any more info re the power aerial feed to the amp. Does this apply to the standard head unit? Which is the power aerial feed? Wheres the screen amp?
Old 20 May 2002, 01:19 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The power for the aerial is part of (goes into) the connector for the radio, (the blue wire I think). What my problem was that the replacement head unit required me to link up a wire in it's connector to enable the power to be provided, (i.e. the radio provides the power for the aerial), and I'd missed this bit in the instructions.

I must say that with the standard unit I have driven all over the south of England and up to the Lake District. Never had any reception problems at all. Perhaps your aerial is faulty?

Iain
Old 22 May 2002, 12:03 AM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

I've had my windows tinted and had a big install and the reception is crap.Is it the window tints or have I missed connecting the blue wire.
Cheers
Gary
PS I've got an Alpine IVA 700 Head unit.

[Edited by HYP1C - 5/22/2002 12:04:51 AM]
Old 22 May 2002, 12:16 AM
AJF
Scooby Regular

window tints shoulden cause any problems check the blue wire from control box is wired up alpine also have a blue/white wire which should be used for amps
Adrian
Old 23 November 2002, 04:36 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

HYP1C

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but did you ever get to the bottom of your signal problem??

As i think you will recall, I have an 02 STi as well, and i got my tints from the same place as you, based on feedback from you at the time.

So, I like you have the tints, and my reception is crap. I have a big ICE install as well, Pioneer, signal is good enough for radio but never picks up RDS traffic info.

The main reason for me bringing this up now, is, I have the Pioneer SatNav as well, and this takes a feed off the cars ariel to receive TMS info so that that auto divert can work and alert to traffic problems on a preset journey.. Only thing is, mine doesn't do this bit.

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 November 2002, 10:21 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Mines still hopeless and I have checked my blue wire is connected to the radio. I've also found the booster, behind the trim panel on the C pillar on the passenger side. I've not yet checked that 12V is reaching it as there's three wires going to/from it and they're all black....